European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - July 25, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 a the stars and stripes thursday july 25, 1991 at a glance Island hopping through the sunny greek islands is a great Way to spend a vacation. Stripes Magazine offers you some tips on How to do it and what to look out travel questioned rep. Les Aspin the chairman of the House armed services committee mixed personal and official business while travelling on military jets the Washington Post reports. A Page 4tumor rate to be studied the Federal department of Energy will fund a study about the incidence of brain tutors near los Alamos . A Page 5chopped-up bodies found Milwaukee police find pieces of human bodies in a stinking apartment and arrest the Man who lived there. A Page 6england to slash forces great Britain s defense Secretary Tom King outlines a sweeping plan to Cut 40,000 troops from the nation s armed forces. A Page 8smoking debate expands state after state is taking up the vexing question of whether employers May refuse to hire smokers. A Page 9tax refunds available service members stationed in great Britain who deployed to the persian Gulf can claim a refund on their Road tax for vehicles not used during their deployment. A Page 17 Index i Abby Ann Landers. 14 comics. 14-16 commentary. 13 crossword. 14 letters. .12 Money matters. 17 sports. 18-24 to listings. 23 weather. .11 Philippines groups ask Aquino to renegotiate bases Accord Manila Philippines apr president Corazon Aquino was asked wednesday to renegotiate an agreement under which the United states would give up Clark a next year but retain Subic Bay naval facilities for 10 More years. Aquino said she would discuss the Issue with foreign Secretary Raul Mang Lapus on thursday after he returns from the. Association of Southeast asian nations meeting in Malaysia. Last week . And philippine negotiators announced they had reached an agreement under which Washington would return Clark next year but retain the use. Of Subic Bay for 10 years a for $203 million a year. The agreement must be ratified by two thirds of the 23-member Senate and Only seven senators so far have expressed support for the proposed pact. Both bases were heavily damaged during last months eruptions of the mount Pinatubo Volcano. The agreement followed 14 months of difficult negotiations. The lease on the bases expires sept. 16. Calls for renegotiating the agreement have come from Philippines Congress the Media Ana the country a largest labor federation the Trade Union Congress of the Philippines. In a statement wednesday the federation said the agreement should be renegotiated to provide better compensation terms for the government and for thousands of workers who will lose their jobs when Clark closes in 1992. Sen. Ernesto Maceda chairman of the Senate defense committee said wednesday he would vote against the agreement because he thinks $203 million is insufficient. Maceda had been among a group of senators believed to be leaning toward approving the agreement. Talks began on a new Extension in May 1990 but dragged on because Mang Lapus had been haggling for More Money. The Philippines demanded $825 million a year for a seven year agreement but Washington offered $360 million for a 10-12-year stay at both Clark and Subic. It was unclear How soon the americans would have to leave if no agreement were ratified by september., Aquino said the agreement was the Best the country could expect after the extensive damage resulting from the volcanic eruptions. Thus far she has not launched a major lobbying Effort for the from Page 1 she was going Home and offered her a ride. She said they went to his apartment and she thought he was going to just let her sleep off her intoxication there instead she said she was attacked in the bedroom. A the was such ferocious. Almost Anima like kind of look to him a the woman said in describing the alleged attack. A it was just the statements released tuesday also showed that Palm Beach police administered a computer voice stress lie Detector test to her in june. The test results weren to released. A second woman who says she was the Girlfriend of Smiths Cousin Matthew Maxwell Taylor a a Max Kennedy at the time said she twice fought off Smiths attacks in 1983 in new York. The other now a doctor said she talked Smith into stopping an assault on her in 1988. The new York woman now 27, said Max Kennedy telephoned her about a week after a Jupiter fla., woman claimed Smith raped her March 30. When she returned his Call Kennedy told her a i think there Are others too. It sounds like Willie really has a she said in the statement that her former Boyfriend told her a it sounded like Willie had psychological problems and that he should get some help to help him Deal with his feelings towards the woman said Max Kennedy then apologized to her for what she described As his a a minimizing of Smiths alleged at Kennedy Nephew trial to be on to Washington a television viewers will get to judge for themselves whether William Kennedy Smith is guilty of rape when his trial is shown live by a new Cable network. The courtroom television network will provide a very Complete if not Gavel to Gavel coverage of Smiths trial scheduled to begin aug. 5 in West Palm Beach fla., Merrill Brown senior vice president of the network said tuesday from new York. He said the network is carried in 39 states by More than 450 Cable systems wired into 4 million Homes. Viewers will see and hear everything the jurors in Smiths trial see and hear a except the name and face of the woman who says lie attacked her and perhaps the names and faces of other women who May testify against him. Tack on her at Smiths family a Home in 1983. She said when she had called her then Boyfriend the next Day after the alleged attack Max Kennedy said Smith had already called him and apologized for making a pass at prosecutors have added Max Kennedy As a state witness for Smiths aug. 5 trial on charges of second degree sexual Battery and Misdemeanour Battery of the Florida woman. Max Kennedy ninth child of the late Robert Kennedy was married earlier this month. Smith was an usher. Richard Farley a fellow University of Virginia Law student House sitting for Kennedy said tuesday that Kennedy was still on his honeymoon. The third woman whose statement was released who said she was a Georgetown medical school student in 1988 and now is a practising doctor said Smith attacked her but she talked him out of raping her. She said she agreed to testify because a i saw him in the Media. Being portrayed As such a wonderful gentlemanly scholarly dedicated physician and i just did no to feel that was prosecutors and lawyers for Smith a 30-year-old Georgetown University medical school graduate and Nephew of sen. Edward m. Kennedy d-mass., Are barred from discussing the Case by a judge s order. However Patrick Kennedy said a i know nothing about these charges but i can to imagine Willie having done such Patrick Kennedy a son of Edward Kennedy and a state representative from Rhode Island was out with his father and Smith the evening of the alleged assault in March. David Roth the 29-year-old Florida woman a private lawyer said his client is sticking to her belief that a this Case ought to be tried in the courtroom and not in the lawyers who have been following the Case said the new disclosures raise the likelihood the trial will be from Page 1 voted nation status this year but would impose a series of prerequisites to renewal in july 1992. Among the conditions Are release of political prisoners detained after the Tiana men Square protest a halt to exports to the United states of goods produced with prison labor and an end to military Aid to the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. Bush contends that Congress requirements would result in a cutoff of most Trade and abandonment of a valuable Avenue to prod Beijing toward economic and political Reform. But democrats see Bush a defense of China As a political vulnerability for him and any renewal fight on Beijing a Trade status next year will occur in july during the presidential Campaign. After the House acted two weeks ago on a runaway vote of 313-112, attention turned to the Senate where opponents of Bush Schina policy hoped for a Chance to win a two thirds majority. But the administration mounted a heavy lobbying Campaign and the chinese government signed an expensive contract with a Large Washington lobbying firm to defeat the measure. In the Senate on tuesday Mitchell picked up six Republican votes for his Bill it lost seven democrats to Bush a column. Supporters of the White House position argued that using Trade cutoffs to address human rights concerns would Only penalize american interests. Many cited the Carter administrations ineffectual embargo on Grain sales to the soviet e Union which Hurt Farmers while driving Moscow to buy elsewhere. A the losers Are the banners the exporters the Consumers the retailers a said Senate gop Leader Robert Dole of Kansas. A and the winners Are going to be All of those other countries that run in and pick up whatever we one Democrat opposed to the Bill sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota said he was sympathetic to the Long list of complaints about chinese behaviour. But Conrad whose state exports wheat to China said Trade is the wrong lever to use in addressing those concerns. Sen. Malcolm Wallop of Wyoming a Republican who opposed Bush a position said the president has pursued China policy with a a lot of talk very Little action and fewer
