European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - December 04, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse The stars and stripes wednesday december 4, 19b5page 28 f a Aquino s widow to run against Marcos Manila Philippines a Corazon Aquino said tuesday thai she will run for president in the feb. 7 election against the Man who has ruled the Philippines for two decades Ferdinand e. Marcos. On monday Marcos reinstated Fabian c. Var As armed forces chief hours after a court acquitted the general and 25 others in the 1983 assassination of mrs. Aquino s Hus band opposition Leader Binigno Aquino. Mrs Aquino said she had offered to run with former sen. Salvador h. Laurel As her vice president but Laurel who is considering his own Campaign for president has not said whether he would accept. For 20 years we have had one of the mos Brilliant filipinos As president she said and yet look what has happened to our country. It has been calling herself the Best known victim of Marcos Long list of victims she said she offers Hope to the 1.2 million filipinos who signed petitions urging her to run. Her announcement came Only hours after Marcos signed a Law calling the special presidential election. I hereby affirm my candidacy and confirm my willingness to serve our people As president of the Republic of the Philippines she told a packed auditorium. Eighteen opposition members of parliament sat in the audience As she spoke and mrs. Aquino was flanked by leaders of an eight parly coalition that had earlier drafted her As their candidate. On monday three civilian judges said in their 90-Page verdict that Rolando Caiman killed Aquino on aug. 21, 1983, at Manila Airport. Aquino was returning from voluntary exile in the United states. Soldiers escorting him immediately shot Galman a purported communist. Var an old Friend and confidant of the president had been on leave of absence pending the court verdict. The president s foes had predicted the acquittal but there had been rumours some defendants might be found guilty of negligence a minor offence. Mrs. Aquino said the verdict did not matter because Marcos was her no. 1 suspect in the death of her Hus band who was Marcos main political foe. Laurel called the acquittal roman Catholic Cardinal Jaime l. Sin the nation s most prominent religiou.1 Leader said the verdict could push our country to the Brink of violence and with its finding the court rejected a a car of investigation by a fact finding Board which concluded that the killing was a military conspiracy. Small but noisy demonstrations against the verdict occurred outside the courtroom and in a Street leading to the presidential Palace. Marcos said in a statement that he Hopes that Calm and reason will Settle on this most Dis Tressing and tragic Marcos welcomed Var with a handshake and a Salute at the presidential Palace right after the acquittal and issued a Handwritten order restoring him to his Post. Marcos said the reinstatement was for such a period As May be decided upon by me and by senior officers of the armed the qualification appeared intended to Blunt criticism in the Philippines and in the United states of the return to command of a Man under whose direction the army has been accused of widespread abuses of human rights. As president mrs. Aquino said she would respect an agreement to allow . Bases in the Philippines until 1991 and would not have the bases removed until the government was sure no other foreign military bases would be established in the Philippines. Mrs. Aquino said the bases might be considered a Protection against the soviet Union but said the threat of a communist insurgency was purely Domestic. Indicted from Page 1 and aug. 31, 1981, in its function of paying its contractors. They also we themed with six counts of making false Staten the indictment said $7.5 million "was1 discharged resulting in a s3.2 million net loss to the government. Rep. Robert g. Torricelli d-n.j., a member of the House science and technology committee which oversees Nasa called for Beggs to resign. He can not merely take a leave of a sense until the questions Are resolved Tor Ricelli said. He is presiding Over nearly $8 billion in Federal spending. When a Man is indicted on a charge involving fraud in spending taxpayer dollars it s difficult for him to continue with any Torricelli said Nasa is fighting for life in the budget process and Ujka i Confidence in the Agency is Beggs will have to Beggs said he had to Xen the charges and could t address ten specifically. But from wha Rilas been reported to me by my attorn can state i am innocent of any and i intend to vigorously defend the Case. I am confident that after All the evidence is aired i will be exonerated said Beggs. Beggs is former executive vice president at general dynamics and became head of the National aeronautics and space administration on july 10,1981. Rep. Bill Nelson d-fla., chairman of the House subcommittee on space science and applications said he had no comment on the charges. Know that in All my dealings with an of the committee my aels a very honorable Man and that s Airth mum his time Nelson said in Cape c is training for a dec. 18 space Shuttl in addition to Beggs the Cusco 0 Ralph e. Hawco a a of Clare Mont calif., Forayt Corporale vice presi Dent and of general dynamics Ellsion in Ponoma and now Mync vice president and general Man of the Valley systems division of Gen eral dynamics. David l. Mcpherson 45, of Alia Loma calif., a general dynamics employee who was program director for the anti aircraft program at the Pomona division. James c. Hansen jr., 53, of Upland calif., a general dynamics employee who was assistant program director Tor the pro Gram. The four defendants Are expected to be arraigned dec. 16, Bonne said. If convicted each defendant would face up to five years in prison and a si0,000 Fine per count. The corporation would face a maximum $10,000 Fine on each of the seven counts. Hansen was out of the country and not available for comment his Secretary said Mcl Herson declined comment throw Secretary who referred Gallece it " a por Alion s Public relation the indict Meriji Larred from Cost accounting Itu were made More it Jytta is ago said general Dynamo Ocsman Peter Connolly in St. Louis. Die company and the individuals intend to a Hesse charges a highly sophisticated regulatory matter which should be resolved not in a criminal Case he said. General dynamics knows that visuals involved were honest in then judgments and acted in Complete Good Faith Connolly said. We Are confident that when our Side is heard we will pre according to the indictment company officials fraudulently charged several Mil lion dollars Worth of expenses on the con tract As bid and proposal and Independent research and development expenses. Contractors Are reimbursed by the department of defense for such losses but Are not permitted to use the funds for work victim from Page 1 Tiea tors had determined that three hijackers died one in a midair shootout and two in the storming of the plane pie fourth he said is in a heavily guarded Hospital bed in Malta. He said it was not yet established where the hijackers were from or with what organization they were affiliated. All we know is that three bodies have been identified As the hijackers he said. Some passengers have said that there were Only three hijackers. Mifsud said the wounded Hijacker who has identified himself As a 20-year-old tunisian and four filipino passengers Are the Only people still hospitalized in Malta. The maltese government investigation continues. The taking of passengers statements has been completed and maltese officials said preliminary autopsy results indicated that approximately 50 of the Vic Tims had died of smoke inhalation. The rest they said had died from Bullet Wounaris or in the explosion. Sources in Malta confirmed reports from Washington that . Military officers arrived with a plan Load of egyptian com Mandos but weren t allowed to participate in the storming of the Airliner. The sources in Malta said the americans were there to provide technical assistance to the egyptian soldiers. A Western Diplomat in Malta speaking on the condition of anonymity said the offi cers in uniform were asked to change to civilian clothes in deference to Malta s offi Cial policy of neutrality. The sources said there was discussion Syria from Page 1 have now tenons bar but we have nothing against the by a Abdel Megum denied that Egypt and the United states Are planning military Retalia Tion against Libya laying we emphasize that we have fraternal relations with the people of Libya and Egypt its Western neighbor fought a Short Border War in 1977 and have bad their troop on Alert at different times since. The most recent Alert came after egyptian commandos stormed the hijacked plane and said Libya was ultimately responsible for the hijacking. Egyptian authorities Are seeking the extradition of the Only Hijacker confirmed to required by an existing contract. The indictment alleges that the defendants fraudulently billed the government under the false Mulli or inc firm s $40 Mil it for the production of Ork prototype systems. The sgt York also called d1vad for division air defense was a tank mounted Pun system designed to protect tanks and infantry against enemy aircraft and Heli copters. Ford aerospace & communications corp. Of Newport Beach calif., won the production contract away from general dynamics in 1981, but defense Secretary Cas Par Weinberger cancelled plans for the weapon last August concluding the sys tem did t work Well enough. That s the simple stung by months of government Allega Billings and bribery. Gen eral at its annual meeting in May acquire another major company ouuni�4hede, Indus try. In september it Cessna aircraft co. For about $669 million. Among the maltese egyptian and Ameri can governments Over the idea of sending in a plan Load of highly trained . Anti terrorist specialists from a West european base which the sources did not specify. The specialists apparently were equipped with sophisticated surveillance equipment to eavesdrop on activities inside the piloted plane they said. In Washington officials at the state department and Pentagon confirmed that three american military officers accompanied the egyptian commandos. However the United states denied wide spread reports attributed to a senior Mal Tese official that one of the officers Brig. Gen. Robert d. Wiggand helped to coordinate the attack. . Officials said the american officers travelled with the Eygo Tian unit to weigh and convey to higher . Authorities any request for assistance. Have survived the assault. He is Omar mar Zouki 20, of Tunisia who remains under guard in a maltese Hospital. Marzouka was identified by the plane s Captain Hani Galal. There had been reports that a second terrorist survived the Moody egyptian com Mando assault on the plane. He is said to be a Middle aged greek Man now Hor Pill sized in Malta. Loi Angel Louisville Memphis Miami Nash Barb of Boi but a Burll Charles Charles Chicago Cincinnati Cleveland Dallas fort Denver Oes Molnes Detroit Fairbanks Faroe Hartford Honolulu Houston Indianapolis Jacksonville Kansas Colv Las vegas Lime Rock Domaine land. Ore. Alden be Mogn Louis. Petersburg san Lake Colv san Leoo san Frencisco Sar Juan Soal Lle Syracuse Tucson Washington we Culta Madrid. Munich Paris p Rome f Montreal d Moscow i Oslo Vancouver a supplied by the associated a Oertly Cloudy a mostly Dourov in fog. Temperatures Recor 4am 4padana. I Amsterdam m s4 Athens. I so Valano m Berlin it Bremerhaven. Cd Brussels m provided by Trarbach. Other Cairo d Dublin r Helsinki i Jerusalem Ulsoon a flair d Driler i
