European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 8, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse The stars and s tripes wednesday january 8, 1986 5 arabs charged in arson of islamic Center in Rome rom i map five arabian been charged with arson in a fire ill the Mamie cultural Center that caused heavy to the first floor rail acc said. The five were inside the Tenter when the fire broke out monday police no first believed the five had gathered for Pri Iyer but they said tuesday Thiol contradictory Szalc minis by four who were stopped As they tried to run away and another who was slightly injured led them to believe the fire was set. Kircfigh1crs ii so determined that the fire had two Points of origin. They also found what appeared to be traces of flammable liquid on some of Trie rugs police Suid. Inverie tors believe the building s caretaker unwilling to let he men inside May have been forced la open the doors to them. The men charged were by police As i to Syri ans one moroccan one sudanese and one Egypt Linari. All were without proper visitors permits police said. The tire destroyed much of the prayer room and the living room according to police. Battleship new Jersey to Stop in Japan newspaper says Tokyo a the . Battleship new Jersey is to make a pan Call in Japan this summer its first since it was equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles capable of carry ing nuclear warheads a japanese newspaper has Eaid the nationwide Yum Iuri so imbue quoting unidentified defense Agency sources said the 45,000-ton ship most Likely would make a Good will visit to either Yokohama or nearby Yokosuka the Central japanese Home port of the . 7lh Fleet. . Navy authorities declined comment saying it is not Navy policy to comment on future movements of its vessels. Domingo cancelling opera dates because of hernia operation London a Tenor Placido Domingo has been old he must undergo immediate surgery in Barcelona Spain and he will not be Able losing far at lease two months the Royal opera said. Placido has been ordered by doctors to undergo an immediate operation for a double hernia and consequently he has been compelled to cancel his forthcoming performances of Simon Bocanegra at Cove no Garden Katharine Wilkinson the opera press officer said. The five performances of Verdi s opera scheduled be tween Jan. 14 and 19, were sold out she said. They will now go ahead with italian Tenor Giorgio me right singing Domingo s part. The Royal opera House management much regrets the profound disappointment this will cause she said. Smoke Shell found on Beach in Japan May be from soviet sub Tokyo a a cylindrical smoke Shell with rus Sian writing on it has washed ashore in Northern Japan and a japanese maritime safety Agency official said it might have been used by a soviet submarine in the sea of Japan. An official with the Agency Jiro Takaya said in was the third Lime such a smoke Shell had been discovered on the coast of Yamagata prefecture since last april 3. Yamagata is on the sea of Japan 217 Miles Northwest of Tokyo. The Shell is 15 inches Tang and 8 inches in diameter. Takaya said he said such a Shell might be used to Mark a location at sea Cyprus charges palestinian with 4 counts of arms offences Warnaca Cyprus a a 26-year-old palestinian has been charged with four weapons offences three weeks after police maintained he had tried to Board a passenger Jel with guns and grenades hidden in two huge wine Bat lies Warnaca District court judge Takis Eliades refused to Grant bail for the suspect Sami Anis Maken Nasr after a police prosecutor argued Nasr s escape u certain if he were freed. Police maintained Nasr was either trying la Hijack the Swissair Jet that he was about to Board dec. 17 or was intent on some other violent crime. Ordination ceremony a new archbishop and six Bishops lie prostrate before Pope John a tit ii inside St. Peter s Basilica monday during i hair ordination ceremony. The Pope ordained the Church officials during the feast of the Epiphany. From left to right Are i Minn archbishop i m i Ulvi Culala yugoslavian Bishop Franyo Kun Myrica Bra Lilian Bishop Walmir Alberto Valk Tania plan Bishop Norton Mega thai Bishop John Bosco Manl Chuab Samsul . Bishop Donald Wurl and Veliu clan Bishop feline Gonzalez. 4 afghan generals reported arrested for leaking secrets Islamabad Pakistan a four afghan army generals were arrested recently for allegedly passing information about soviet troop movements and other military secret to a lop guerrilla commander. Western diplomatic sources said tuesday the sources speaking on condition they not be identified further said that the four officers were untitled dec. 5 in the afghan capital Kabul. Another source said a fifth general also May have been arrested. Meanwhile Kabul s downtown was the scene of several Street Battles during the tint week of january in which rival factions of the ruling communist party fought with machine guns and grenade the Western sources said. They said the arrested generals held senior positions at the afghan defense ministry when they were charged with passing information to Ahmad Shah Mawud one of the most effective and famous commanders of moslem guerrillas fighting the afghan government. Massoud Heads guerrilla forces in the pan Sher Valley Northeast of Kabul the scene of some of the worst righting of the afghan War. Massoud s forces Are credited with a series of successes against afghan government forces and their soviet backers. The Western sources said their information was based on a wide number of reports from Kabul. Bui they hat no information on what happened to the arrested generals. One diplomatic source said soviet military commanders were vinous about the alleged leaks and ordered thai afghan military authorities be Given no More than tour hours adva acc notice of any soviet troop movements. There have been frequent reports of afghan officers and soldiers giving information arms and other Aid to the guerrillas. In addition there Are reports of tension and armed clashes Between the afghan armed forces and soviet troops the soviet Union has an estimated 115,000 troops m Afghanistan supporting the government of Babrak Karmal whom in helped install in december 1979. Afghanistan s communist government bans Western reporters and information from inside the country rarely can be checked independently. The Western sources said that there had been at least three gun Battles in the Center of Kabul an Jan. 3, with rival groups clashing near the arg Palace a government Complex. Tokyo Crews of seek War victims remains Tokyo up wort Crews will begin digging up a Landfill area in Southern Tokyo this week for the remains of As Many As 60,000 victims of a massive american firebombing raid during world War ii City official said tuesday a Tokyo official said the Cuc Antion beginning wednesday and continuing to inc end of March is the first of its kind since the raid four decades ago turned Tokyo into an inferno. The March 10, 1943, raid was tie most destructive attack of the War on the capital and has been likened lol bombing of Dresden Germany. An estimated100,000 people were killed in just a few hours n higher death toll than in the atomic bombing of Nagasaki a few Moons later. American b-29s dropped incendiary bombs on Industrial and it Loury targets around the City but Many people who lived in Flimsy wooden houses built close tie liner were forced to Nee when names engulfed the capital Many of the victims fled to the Sumida River which a safes Ted u is a Cleved ha1 bodies drifted downstream to the Koto Ward in the Southern part of the aty a Ward office spokesman said Koto where the japanese army had an artillery base during the War. Was Amons the a modest hit areas in the night bombing the spokesman said. The remains Are believed to be buried at least six feel underground because the Low lying area was filled wild land after the War for the construction of a Golf course he said. The Golf course no longer exists and the open land we recently returned to the Tokyo government which decided to launch the excavation last year after local authorities were informed about the buried remains. In a petition to the Ward last August a former Soldier who had been stationed at the Koto base during the War said he knew of at least 100 victims buried at the Lite officials said. During the first phase of the operation scheduled until Jan. 25, workers will use five bulldozers to reach the level of land at wartime and then will Check for explosives left behind from the War. In february and March the workers will dig another six feet underground to unearth the remains of inc bombing victims. The Ward spokesman said the remains will be taken a cemetery in the capital where unidentified victims from other world War ii bombings and victims of Japan s Mggee Earth quake that hit the Tokyo area in 1923, Are buried
