European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 1, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 4 the stars and stripes saturday March 1, 1986 Reagan deflects questions about marcos7 wealth Washington a president Reagan said Friday there s no Way for us to know anything about reports that de posed Leader Ferdinand Marcos brought millions of dollars in Cash and jewelry to the United states from the Philippines. Deflecting questions about Marcos As sets the president said this is up to the government of the Philippines and the peo during a picture taking ceremony in the Cabinet room Reagan was asked whether Marcos should be allowed to bring Money and jewelry into the United states in Light of the economic problems in the Philippines. I think there s no Way for us to know anything about this Reagan replied. Earlier White House Deputy press Secre tary Larry Speakes asked a similar ques Tion said i just Don t know what s on the a Day earlier Speakes said a plane bearing Marcos goods from Manila Philippines would undergo a thorough examination by customs service officials. On thursday Speakes said the . Air Craft landed in Hawaii carrying a plane Load of stuff from Manila that Marcos had been forced to leave behind when he abandoned Power tuesday and was whisked from his Palace by a . Helicopter. The spokesman said the aircraft carried the personal effects of the Marcos family and the other people accompanying he added we assisted with bringing out a number of items that they Abc and Abc reported the plane held 300 boxes containing As much As $3 million in philippine pesos and . Currency Gold Bullion jewelry and a Cache of weapons. Customs officials refused to comment on the plane s contents. Also on thursday Secretary of state George Shultz asked what the . Response would be to a philippine request for a seizure of Marcos assets replied undoubtedly whatever proper and Legal Steps should be taken will be taken and obviously we Are a Law abiding country and will go along with meanwhile the administration revealed that secret service agents Are protecting Marcos round the clock under an authorization from Reagan that accords Marcos the status of a distinguished foreign visitor. As Federal and local officials in Hawaii quarrelled Over Security arrangements for Marcos secret service agents took up positions around the former president. Secret service spokeswoman Jane Veze Ris said Marcos is the Only person in the country currently covered by such authority which is invoked from time to time for foreigners. Frisbee frolic up photo Dallas businessman Barry maners turns into a contortionist on the Lawn at Turtle Creek Park As he desperately tries to snare a Frisbee thrown by a fellow worker during a lunch time break in the warm Sunshine. Reagan pledges action on Pentagon Reform Washington a president Reagan Friday accepted the report of a commission he appointed last year to recommend Pentagon management Reform and promised to act promptly and firmly to put its proposals into place. I will implement the recommendations in Here As quickly As i can even if they run counter to the wishes of the entrenched bureaucracy Reagan told the commission chairman David Packard As he accepted the report. Packard former Deputy defense Secre tary said thursday the commission wants the defense department the nation s larg est Agency to be changed so it is run the Way any business is run and does t waste Money. The president told Packard i will act promptly and firmly on Reagan named the commission last june. Its proposals Are aimed at ending what de sense Secretary Caspar Weinberger Calls horror stories about High prices for spare parts and allegations of fraud and waste among defense contractors. Packard said the goal of the package of changes is simple we want the depart ment of defense to run their business the Way any business is the Fate of the commission s report re Mains to be seen since some proposals will require congressional action. In accepting the report Reagan called on congressional legislators to do their part since the nation s military establishment was created in 1947, there have been More than 30 studies and reports some from in Side the government and some outside and All recommended reforms of one Type or another. Few were adopted. The Packard commission is expected to propose strengthening the role of the chair Man of the joint chiefs of staff the top officer among the nation s 2.1 million uni formed military personnel according to sources familiar with the commission s re port. But the commission is not expected to propose major changes in the office of the Secretary of defense which Heads the 1 Mil lion civilian personnel who work for the defense department said the sources speaking on condition they not be named. As the Packard commission was finishing its work this week the Senate armed serv ices committee was preparing the final ver Sion of its own Pentagon Reform package. The Senate panel is scheduled to vote formally next week on the plan and Intro Duce it As legislation the following week. The Senate proposal contains some provi Sions similar to the Packard commissions although it would give somewhat More authority to the joint chiefs. Reagan in his nationally televised speech wednesday night on the Pentagon budget said where defense Reform is needed we will pursue it. The Packard commission we created will be reporting in two Reagan s speech appealed to the Public to support his request for an 11.9 percent hike during the next fiscal year in authorized defense spending. Congress has been increasingly reluctant to go along with Reagan s plan to hike de sense budgets in recent years partly be cause of reports of $400 hammers and $600 toilet seat covers. Last year Congress passed More than a dozen reforms designed to end the abuses. High court leak traced to Boss Washington a the latest leak from the supreme court a tip on How the court would handle constitutional showdown Over the new Federal budget balancing Law had a surprising source chief jus Tice Warren e. Burger. Last monday the justices said the will decide the Validity of the Gramm Rudman Law which requires a balanced budget by 1991. They agreed to hear arguments in the Case april 23and announce a decision by july. Such expedited review was expected but far from certain. In a feb. 17 speech to Law student sat Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland Burger matter of factly said the court would do exactly what the court did one week later. Phoenix area schools will ban pupils lacking immunization against measles Phoenix Ariz. A pupils who cannot prove they have been immunized against measles will be banned from schooling metropolitan Phoenix beginning March 5, health officials said. The ban which covers kindergarten through Grade 12 in Public private and parochial schools throughout Maricopa county will last at least two weeks said or. Lloyd Novick state health director. There already Are 50 confirmed cases throughout the county including five Chil Dren who attended Day care centers and 26among other preschoolers Novick said at a news conference thursday. In Arkansas meanwhile More than20,000 people have been inoculated with a red measles vaccine in an Effort to combatant outbreak of the potentially fatal virus. Since the first Case of the disease was reported feb. 8 at the University of Arkan Sas about 100 cases have been confirmed statewide or. Stuart Fitzhugh Deputy director of the state health department said thursday. Or. Ben Saltzman health department director said no serious complications have developed. The outbreak is the state s firs since 1970, when 300 cases of red measles were reported in one county Fitzhugh said. Several Arizona school districts had Al ready begun excluding a immunized Stu dents but acting county health director Michael Nolin said the piecemeal approach had proved ineffective. Novick said he was asking the county estimated 300 Day care centers to voluntarily adopt guidelines he set for schools and said he would use emergency Powers to re quire compliance if they did not do so. County officials have already obtained Acourt order requiring parents of 22 children at Franklin elementary school to comply with an earlier order. The temporary re straining order was issued by a Superior court judge wednesday night after officials complained the children had been flouting the order for three Days Nolin said. Maricopa county which has More than half the state s population recorded 54 cases of measles last year. Last year statewide total 241, was bolstered by an epidemic in the Tucson area officials said. Day care centers Are not required to have children immunized but the state is draft ing regulations to require it in the future
