European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 12, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Wednesday March 12, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 3 2 prominent backers of Marcos face arrest Manila Philippines a defense minister Juan Ponce Enrile tuesday or dered the first arrests of prominent support ers of deposed president Ferdinand e. Mar cos two assemblymen accused of election related killings. A defense ministry announcement said assemblymen Orlando Dulay and Arturo pacificador an assistant majority floor Leader in the Assembly Are wanted for alleged involvement in killings of supporters of the new president Corazon Aquino in the feb. 7 presidential election. Meanwhile Aquino scheduled a Cabinet meeting for wednesday to discuss among other things possible declaration of a revolutionary government. The philippine news Agency reported that she would sound out Cabinet ministers on the proposal. Presidential spokes Man Rene Saguisag said in the end it May even be determined there is not a Nee for some officials have urged declaration of a revolutionary government so Aquino can abolish the National Assembly. She already has asked All Marcos appointed officials including judges to resign and has indicated plans to write a new Constitution. The defense ministry said Enrile issued the order for the arrests of pacificador and Dulay in a Telephone Call to Brig. Gen. Re nato de Villa commander of the philippine constabulary. Both assemblymen have been in hiding since Marcos fled the country feb. 26 after being toppled in a Church and military backed rebellion that installed Aquino As president. Pacificador has been accused of involve ment in the feb. 11 killing of former an Tique provincial gov. Evelip Javier a local Campaign Leader for Aquino but so far faces no formal charges in that Case. He faces multiple murder charges in the am Bush killing of seven of Javier s followers in the 1984 National Assembly elections. Jav Ier ran against pacificador in those elections. Pacificador was last seen at the presiden tial Palace hours before Marcos and his family fled but was not among the 89 member entourage that accompanied mar cos to Hawaii. The ministry said Dulay is wanted in connection with a series of killings of Aqui no s supporters in Quirino province North of Manila. Meanwhile a delegation of . Officials arrived in Manila tuesday for a we Klong visit to assess the new philippine govern ment s need for . Assistance the . Embassy said. The team led by m. Peter Mcpherson administrator of the . Agency for inter National development and including Offir vials from the Treasury state and defense departments is to hold talks with Aquino and other government officials during the week the embassy said. In other developments a government source said a team of officials would be going to Hawaii to inspect documents mar cos took there which . Customs officials Are holding that might provide Evi Dence of vast financial holdings in new York new Jersey and elsewhere. The official a member of Aquino s new Good government commission also said monday that the government had Frozen Bank accounts of More than a dozen mar cos associates in an Effort to keep any More Money from leaving the country. The Bank accounts total about $50 Mil lion said the official who spoke on Condi Tion he not be identified. He declined to identify the owners. Jovito Salonga chairman of the Good government commission and other officials will make the trip to Hawaii said the official. He did not indicate when the team would leave. Salonga has estimated Marcos and his associates carted Between $5 billion and $10 billion out of the country. In a related development a new Jersey judge issued a temporary restraining order monday barring the Sale of two properties Marcos allegedly owns there. Superior court judge Paul g. Levy also allowed a representative of mrs. Aquino to take an inventory of the two holdings one near Princeton University and one in Cher by Hill. Salonga said earlier that documents found in the presidential Palace link the Marc oses to $350 million Worth of new York real estate which the Marc oses have denied purchasing. The Washington Post reported in tues Day s edition that Imelda Marcos used new York Bank accounts under an apparently fictitious name to funnel hundreds of thou Sands of dollars out of the Philippines and finance shopping trips to the United states and Europe. Citing documents found in the presiden tial Palace the Post said the Money initially was laundered through the accounts of friends and later mrs. Marcos took Over the accounts through a fictitious name. It reported that the documents indicate accounts were opened in 1968, during mar cos first term As president. Price no object for mrs. Marcos wardrobe Manila Philippines a when Imelda Marcos fled the Philippines she left behind enough expensive de signer clothes and shoes to fill a department store a journalist who saw the wardrobe said monday. The former first lady had a reputation for lavishness but until she and deposed president Ferdinand e. Marcos left the country two weeks ago no one knew the extent of that extravagance. In a dressing room next to her bedroom and in the basement below the family s private quarters at Malaca Nang Palace were hundreds of mrs. Marcos dresses shoes and handbags neatly arranged on Racks and shelves. It looked like a mini department store but it was bizarre. Everything was the same size said British photo journalist Alex Bowie who visited the basement last week end. Also monday the Manila newspaper times journal quoted Bea Zobel wife of a wealthy filipino industrialist As saying she was flabbergasted by the opulence. The paper quoted Zobel who is helping the new govern ment of president Corazon Aquino sort out the Marc oses possessions As saying Bills left in drawers showed mrs. Marcos once bought $ 1 million Worth of jewelry in the morning and Antiques Worth $2 million in the afternoon. The times journal owned by a brother of mrs. Marcos said a receipt was also discovered showing she paid a photo some of about 3,000 pairs of Imelda Marcos shoes. $107,000 for an evening gown and six silk dresses from the italian designer Valentino. The paper said there were about 3,000 pairs of shoes Many from designers such As Gucci Ungaro and Charles Jourdan 68 pairs of gloves and five shelves of new Gucci handbags with their Price tags still attached. Asked several years ago to explain a lifestyle where Price seemed to be no object mrs. Marcos replied Filipi nos want Beauty. I have to look Beautiful so that the poor filipinos will have a Star to look at from their according to the Marcos government the average filipino earned about $136 in 1984 less than the Price of most Gucci bags. The articles were left behind when the Marc oses and an entourage of about 90 hastily fled the Palace feb. 25 after two military leaders defected from the Marcos Camp and tens of thousands of people massed in the streets in sup port of Aquino. Mrs. Marcos is believed to have taken her jewelry said to be Worth several million dollars to Hawaii where the Marc oses Are now in exile. Most of the jewelry boxes in her quarters were empty although a Cache of pearls said to be among the gifts she would give to friends was found in a Safe. The government has t said what it would do with the Marc oses belongings but some officials have proposed that they be preserved for the Public to see. Soviet demand called unacceptable Thatcher refuses to freeze Britain s nuclear arms London a prime minister Margaret Thatcher has rejected soviet Leader Mikhail s. Gorbachev s demand that Britain freeze its nuclear Force As part of a three stage plan for eliminating nuclear weapons by the year 2000, the foreign of fice said tuesday. Thatcher was replying to Gorbachev s Jan. 15 proposal which also was addressed to the United states and the other nuclear Powers France and China. Gorbachev also insisted that the United states should not Transfer nuclear missiles to other countries. In her reply to Gorbachev delivered in Moscow monday Thatcher reiterated the unacceptability of the soviet conditions As regards the minimum British strategic Force and restated our longstanding conditions for reconsidering our contribution to arms control the foreign office said. Gorbachev had said that within the next five to eight years the United states should undertake not to Transfer its Strate Gic and medium Range missiles to other countries while Britain and France should pledge not to build up their respective nuclear arsenals in effect a freeze. Both Britain and France had already rejected such a freeze and plan to go ahead with modernization plans. Britain plans to modernize its obsolescent Polaris submarine nuclear Force with . Trident missile sub marines by the mid-1990s. Thatcher s response to Gorbachev was made after detailed consultations with the United states and other allies and followed the general line taken by president Reagan in his feb. 24 reply to Gorbachev. Thatcher the foreign office said emphasized that the goal of a nuclear free world was necessarily Long term and that for the foreseeable future nuclear weapons in their deterrent role would continue to make an essential contribution to peace and Reagan had said Many of the details of Gorbachev s plan Are clearly not appropriate for consideration at this the foreign office said Thatcher went on to suggest we should concentrate now on achieving realistic balanced and verifiable arms control measures across the Board on the basis of detailed proposals which were on the table at the Geneva Switzerland talks Between the United states and the soviet Union. On nov. 1, the United states proposed a 50 percent reduction in strategic weapons and on feb. 24 Reagan called for eliminating . And soviet medium Range nuclear missiles in Europe and Asia by the end of this Gorbachev s proposal was for eliminating soviet and . Missiles in the european zone but made no mention of soviet mis Siles in soviet Asia. Thatcher has argued that Britain s Polar is Force consisting of four submarines each with 16 missiles represents Only about 3 percent of the superpowers arsenals and is the minimum required to give Britain a credible last ditch defense. Only after the superpowers make sub Stantial reductions in their forces will Brit Ain consider cutting Back on its nuclear de lenses the foreign office said. Thatcher also stressed the need to Cor rect the imbalance in conventional forces and to Widen East West discussions to in clude regional bilateral and human rights issues the foreign office said. Her letter to Gorbachev called for Early Progress in the 12-year-old Vienna aus Tria talks on reducing East West conventional forces in Europe. She also sought advances in talks on Banning chemical weapons and on reducing East West ten Sions in european disarmament talks in Stockholm Sweden. She said adequate verification provi Sions would be essential in All of these negotiations the foreign office said. Thatcher said All of the Points in her letter would be followed up during a visit by soviet foreign minister Eduard a. Shevardnadze the foreign office said. No Date has been set for the visit. Thatcher s reply to Gorbachev was delivered by British ambassador sir Bryan cart ledge to a soviet Deputy foreign minister. He had sought to deliver the response to Shevardnadze himself British officials said
