European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - November 8, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday Nova Bors 1989 the stars and stripes Page 7 13 cops indicted in major crackdown of . Corruption police officer Frank Laura jr., Center surrenders at Brooklyn precinct. New York. Not twelve cur rent or former police officers from the 77th precinct in Brooklyn were arrested and arraigned thursday on charges rang ing from iterating garbage cans 10 stealing and Selling drugs. Police commissioner Benjamin Ward at a news conference announced sweep ing new anti corruption measures which he termed the Roost extensive since 1972. He also announced a plan the annual Transfer of 20 percent of the patrol offi cers from each precinct to prevent entrenched personal relationships among officers which Ward said encouraged a tolerance of corruption. Ward also revealed the formation of a committee to devise More ways of pre venting corruption. The commissioner also said the department will debrief suspects arrested on drug charges to ask them if they had been involved m police corruption. The head of the patrolmen s bin co Lenl association Philip Caruso responded angrily to Ward s plan. This is a dramatic overreaction Caruso said. He is stigmatizing an entire department. He is carting a pall on the honesty and integrity of every work ing police officer out there by this move. And if that be the Case then be can no longer Lead us and he should resign. Ward issued a statement laying he would not resign and defending the Rota Tion plan which is to begin nov. 15, As a. Measured response to a Kriwow prob in addition to 12 unsealed indictment thursday officials nid 13th officer from the Bedford slut Vesall precinct had been indicted by the special grand jury. The officer. Brian f. O Regatis. Did not surrender with the others thursday morning and his indictment was not officially announced. Officials said the whereabouts of the officer was unknown tale thursday. Charles j. Hynes. The special state prosecutor who presented the Case to the grand jury told reporters that these Are very serious Hynes said the grand jury would continue its investigation alter a recess. He also acknowledged publicly for the first time thursday that the initial investigation had been prematurely curtailed be cause of leaks to members of the police Force. He would not comment on the source of such unauthorized disclosures but said they had not come from his office. Weinberger to continue push Marine ousted for adequate arms budget for Jet Joy ride Washington facing a new Congress con trolled by democrats Secretary of defense Caspar w. Weinberger said thursday that he will continue to submit military budgets that Are Large enough to meet the needs of National Security asked if thai would be politically realistic Given the Strong opposition to big increases in military spending that has already gripped Congress Weinberg or said i m nol going to approach it reads locally. If did we d be in worse shape than we Ever since he came to office in 1981, he has been the main proponent of president Reagan s plan to rearm the defense Secretary was successful for the first few years in getting Large increases in funds but has since run into increasing opposition. Reagan and Weinberger have generally been Able to hold the support of the republicans in Congress but have lost the support of Many democrats Weinberger told reporters thursday thai he does no assume a democratic controlled Congress will be automatically opposed to military spending. Thus he said the Pentagon would ask Lor an increase m the military budget now being prepared. Staff aides said later the Pentagon would request a 3 percent increase growth each year for 1988 and 1989. Plus an increase to make up for inflation when it submits its first two year budget next year. But they said the base line on which that 3 percent would be set was still being discussed within the government. We still have to do More than the Congress was wilting to do last year Weinberger said. A House Senate conference last month reported out a military Bill providing authority to begin programs costing up to $291.9 billion and for $279 billion m outlays. The Pentagon will request funds for 50 More of the disputed my nuclear missiles Weinberger , dissatisfied with the deployment of the first 50 in existing silos has required the administration to make recommendations for a new base. Gen. John t. Chain jr., commander of the strategic air come has said be favors placing l .
