Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, March 17, 1988

You are currently viewing page 5 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, March 17, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 17, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Thursday. March 17.1988 the stars and stripes pages officer killed payroll stolen aboard ship Mayport is Fla. A a Navy paymaster was found beaten and strangled tuesday aboard the destroyer John Hancock and $ 120,000 was stolen from the ship s Safe a spokesman said. The officer s body was found stuffed Inlo a sea locker in another part of the ship said chief Petty officer Art Riccio. He was beaten up pretty  later officials said the victim identified As it. Ratish Pra sad 24, of Park Forest iii., also had been strangled. The search for Prasad began when he failed to re port to Muster at 7 15 a.m., said Riccio. Mayport Petty officer Billy Hill said tuesday evening that nobody else is known to be missing from the ship. A search of the disbursement office found the Safe open and $120.000 in Cash and an undetermined num Ber of Blank checks missing Riccio said. Tuesday was payday for Navy personnel who arc paid the first and 15th of each month said Riccio. An audit of the ship s funds is pending and alternate arrangements have been made to pay the Crew he said. Navy and Jacksonville sheriffs investigators arc working on the Case he said. Mayport is the Hancock s Home port. Access to the ship which was tied up in the port is strictly con trolled said Riccio. Anyone wanting to Hoard Musl pass checkpoints at the base Entrance the pier area and the ship itself. Only relatives and friends of the Crew who have been previously cleared arc allowed aboard the ship in port he said. Even Navy personnel who do not have business on the ships cannot Board he said. Construction workers doing repairs can go aboard but Riccio said the Hancock had no repair work scheduled. Boy 11, kills two men who broke into his Home Switzer. . A an 11-year-old boy who shot and killed two men who broke into his Home and tried to steal a Var had never been left Home alone be fore the fatal Day his Mother said tuesday. Todd Knight shot the two men with his .22-caliber Rifle monday afternoon when they broke into his family s Rural Home and tried to meal a  authorities said. Ann Knight said her son did not think he had even wounded the men and was very upset when he Learned they were dead. I think he went to pieces after it was All  she said. He had never been Here by himself not even for a  she said Todd was still shaken and the family stayed Home tuesday to be with him. Officials said the boy will not be charged. I feel sure he Felt very much As haying his life in danger and 1 certainly look at it As being  Spartanburg county sheriffs Cape. John Black Wood said. His life was in danger he looked for an escape and could not find one. He was a very Brave Young Man said county Coro Ner Jim Burnett. Todd a fifth Grade student at Woodruff elementary school was left alone Intlehouse when his sister Tammy left to at tend a practice for a weekend Beauty pageant mrs. Knight said. Todd would normally have stayed at the nearby Home of mrs. Knight s parents but they were not Home monday afternoon. Mrs. Knight was at work at a Greenville insurance Agency when the incident occurred. App Toto Ann Knight Mother of youth in fatal shootings with daughter Tammy in their Rural Home. The boy told authorities he was watching television when he heard noises at the front door. He said he got the .22  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade