European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 19, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes d Botha hints Mandela May stay out of prison Page 2 d Dod to boost spending on brain like computers Page 5 d shiites holding hostages insist on demands Page 8 d Navy agrees to delay Carrier delivery Page 9 the Sims and stripes Sac a i i Saete authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed forces vol. 47, no. 123 Friday August 19, 1988 Good morning 25t Dally and sunday d 8693 a Bush gets gop nomination new Orleans a George Bush won the unanimous presidential nomination of the Republican party As cheering convention delegates formally launched his race against Democrat Michael Dukakis for the nov. 8 election. Bush watching the celebrations live on television Ina nearby hotel room with his wife Barbara and six of his 10 grandchildren raised his arms jubilantly Over his head late wednesday night As his son George Bush or announced the 111 votes from Texas that Guaran teed him the 1,139 majority needed for nomination. He later went on to win All 2,277 votes. See related stories Page 3 it is a special moment Bush said. Bush thursday was preparing to launch his quest for the White House with a National Republican Conven Tion acceptance speech sketching out where i want to Lead the nation. An ebullient Bush made his Way through the convention City introducing his wife Barbara As sweetie pie at a tribute to her. I m upbeat and ready to go with the Campaign against Dukakis and the democrats he said. Republicans raised $4 million for the fall Campaign at a fund raising luncheon where Bush and his Vic presidential Choice sen. Dan Quayle used identical words to attack the failed Liberal policies of the democrats. After eight years in president Reagan s Shadow Bush spent his first full Day in new Orleans on wednesday basking in the attention. Bush spoke at a breakfast for Farmers met with delegates from California the most populous . State and then made a Brief visit to the podium in the super dome where he was to deliver his acceptance see Bush on Back Page guard controversy upsets Quayle Camp George Bush and sen. Dan Quayle answer questions at a news conference. New Orleans a Dan Quayle was swamped in controversy hours be fore his vice presidential nomination thursday after it was disclosed that family connection helped him join the National guard at the height of the Viet Nam War. As top aides to presidential nominee George Bush searched for ways to quell the juror Campaign spokeswoman Alixe Glen declared not a single thought is being Given to changing the Lee Atwater Bush s Campaign manager said the controversy would not last and neither Bush nor Quayle mention edit at a thursday luncheon. I Don t think i could have selected anybody that la do More to help in the election than Dan Quayle Bush said. He is going to be outstanding on this Quayle said he was honoured that bus chose him As a running mate. The Indiana senator said wednesday that he did know whether family connections had been used to get him into the National guard and that suggestions that he joined to avoid the draft were a cheap a Day later he said through a spokesman that Calls May have been Indianapolis news a newspaper owned by Quayle s family reported thursday that its former managing Edi Tor Wendell c. Phillippi had intercede with guard officials on Quayle s behalf. Phillippi was a former commander of the Indiana National guard and worked for Quayle s Grandfather at the did recommend Danny Quayle for the National guard Phillippi said. Just called the military department and said Here s a Good Man you ought Totake him. It was just As i have done for Many Young men Over Many years. I was just a Peon calling the military department. I had no was some disagreement Over whether there were Long waiting lists to get into the National guard in Indiana As in other s. Anderson adjutant general prior to 1969, said one did exist but John n. Owens who followed Anderson in the Job said Indiana units had vacancies , a hard liner on defense mat ters joined the National guard in 1969,when he had graduated from College and see guard on Back Page no held As suspect in alien smuggling by Joseph Owen staff writer West German police have arrested an army non commissioned officer allegedly involved in smuggling filipinos through West Germany into several other european countries to work illegally at menial jobs. The Soldier stationed in Frankfurt was one of two people arrested wednesday morning in that City in connection with an organized Trade in illegal alien workers said Arno Falk spokesman for the German Federal police in Wiesbaden. Police also confiscated stacks of documentary evidence while searching 19 residences in Frankfurt Darmstadt Ober Ursel Giessen Mainz and Bonn Falk said thursday. They re sitting in front of the piles now and have to evaluate them. Wedon t know what will come out of it he said. In keeping with West German Law he declined to identify the two me arrested. But Falk said the Soldier is a naturalized . Citizen who was born in the Philippines in 1953. The other person is a citizen of the Philippines a said. V corps spokesmen thursday afternoon were unaware of the investigation and did not know who the a see no on Back Page hostage drama ends with 3 dead 3 arrested Bonn West Germany a a hostage drama that left a Trail of Ter ror in two countries ended thursday with a bloody gun Battle on a crowded West German superhighway. Three people two hostages and a police Man died in the two Day terror spree. A woman hostage held by two Bank robbers died in the thursday afternoon shootout near Bonn. A second hostage in the get away car also woman was critically injured. The two gunmen Hans Jii Genro Sner 31, and 32-year-old Dieter Degowski also were seriously injured in the gun Battle while their female accomplice received minor injuries. Earlier a 15-year-old boy and a police officer were killed in the bizarre drama that started tuesday with Bank robbery that led to the Comman Deering of a Busload of hostages to the Netherlands a Day later. The end came near Bonn after a police supplied Bow getaway car was halted by authorities at 1 45 . On a crowded autobahn superhighway. Police spokesman Horst Fechner said gun wielding officers stopped the car by setting off exploding device that Emit a powerful Flash of Light. A police vehicle part of a special tactical unit then rammed the Back of the getaway car and the Bandit started shooting said Jirgen Hosse president of Cologne s police depart ment. The criminals opened fire and we continued on Back Page
