European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - August 26, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Friday August 26, 1988 the stars and stripes Page 9 explosive exercise a bomb made of diesel Oil and explosives is detonated by combat engineers in South Korea As two us. Soldiers watch near the North korean Borde tuesday. American combat engineers Are participating with their South korean counterparts i summer exercises to improve coordination. Marcos files first petition to return for Philippines trial Manila Philippines a Ferdinand Marco formally has asked for the first time to return to his Homeland prompting panic Selling on the Stock Exchange thursday As traders voiced fears for the government s stability. The sex president living in exile in Hawaii filed petition wednesday with the anti corruption court de manding the right to defend himself when a forme Cabinet minister testifies against him in november. Last week the court ruled that Marcos had the right to Cross examine former Public works minister Balta Zar Aquino when he gives evidence in a deposition hearing scheduled for nov. 7. It was the first time Marcos formally sought Permis Sion from any philippine institution to return to the land he fled after the february 1986 uprising that toppled his administration and propelled Corazon Aquino to the presidency. Marcos asked the department of foreign affairs tissue him a passport within three Days and to request the . Government to lift restrictions that bar him from leaving Hawaii. . Officials have said they will not allow Marcos to leave without Aquino s consent. There was no immedi ate comment from Aquino on Marcos petition. In the petition Marcos said the court had no Choice but to Grant his request or order the philippine govern ment to halt a preliminary investigation that authorities say will Lead to the filing of formal criminal charges against Marcos. Solicitor general Francisco Chavez said Baltaz Raquino who is not related to the president will testify about alleged bribes paid by japanese firm during the Marcos administration. Marcos said that As a lawyer he demanded the right to represent himself. The Only possible Way of lawfully preventing the undersigned from personally appearing and defending himself in All such cases is for the. Incumbent government to dismiss any charges with prejudice . Says Noriega to blame for harassment of americans Washington up the state department wednesday publicly linked the government of Gen. Manuel Noriega to harassment and violent incident aimed at american officials and civilians living in Pentagon official said 1,550 of the 2,450 . Military families living in civilian housing in Panama in March have been moved into safer quarters on . Bases As of aug. 15.the escalating tension Between the United states and the Noriega government has been marked by charges and counter charges from both sides. There has been a certain amount of harassment . Citizens by the Noriega regime state depart ment spokeswoman Phyllis Oakley spokeswoman maj. Kathy Wood said harassment by Noriega s Panama defense forces includes incidents of beatings sexual assault and extor this month a . Serviceman and his father were detained for 24 hours by members of the Pana Manian defense forces who apparently had been drinking Wood said. The father was beaten and $300was stolen from his Wallet before the two were released without charges she said Many of the harassment incidents had been published in the Tropic times a newspaper published by the . Military in Panama because the Noriega government has stopped the import of .newspapers. Rep. Phil Crane r-i11., introduced a non binding Resolution earlier this month calling for the abrogation of the 1977 Panama canal treaty in which the unite states agreed to turn Over control of the canal to the panamanian government by the year 2000. So far the Resolution has 41 co sponsors. The government controlled press and television i Panama have in turn accused . Servicemen in Panama of injuring local residents by their Drunken behaviour. A statement by the psf accused american soldiers of introducing drugs cocaine and marijuana and transmitting venereal diseases. Panamanian foreign minister Jorge Ritter said in television interview that the . Charges against the Noriega government intensify the aggression again tour country which includes the use of Force to create the atmosphere for new and More aggressive measures against i believe we panamanians must be prepared Rit Ter said. The state department has a travel advisory in effector Panama suggesting that . Citizens postpone non essential travel there and that americans exercise caution particularly in Urban areas. Wood said the United states wanted to get More families on . Bases because it would be easier to provide Security adding that the americans Are being moved to military housing As it becomes available. She said no families have returned to the unite states because of the panamanian harassment. Some have returned As part of Normal reassignment while others with children have returned in anticipation of reassignment to avoid moving during the school year Wood said. On tuesday Oakley said no one should have an doubt about our ability to protect our citizens but she refused to describe How that ability would be put into practice. Parallel to the rising level of rhetoric was a Diplo Matic tactical contest in which . Diplomats travel ing to Panama have had their passports stamped with visas by the panamanian consulate in Tampa Fla. Generally diplomatic passports do not require visas but the panamanian officials have begun to de Mand them from american officials travelling to Pana panamanian government said the state depart ment s request for visas from a consular official who i accredited to the Noriega government amounts to tacit recognition of the state department which Only recognizes the former president of Panama Eric Arturo Delvalle said the Tampa consulate operates under the authority of the panamanian embassy in Washington and that embassy is Loyal to Delvalle. Oakley said the United states therefore was dealing with the Delvalle government and not the Noriega government. Marcos said meaning no charges would Ever be filed. Defense Secretary Fidel Ramos told reporter wednesday that the military was drawing up Security plans in the event Marcos comes Home. On thursday share prices on the Manila Stock Exchange fell 20 Points and brokers said the drop reflected concern Over a possible Marcos return. Stock prices began falling monday As rumours spread that the former president would come Back soon and one dealer predicted a 30 percent decline unless Aqui no takes an unequivocal stand against Marcos return ing. Lisabel Cortez clerk of the anti corruption court told the associated press that the three justices were studying the Marcos petition but had not decide whether to Call a hearing. The Aquino government has been under pressure from Swiss authorities to file formal charges against Marcos before they will provide information about secret Bank accounts Marcos allegedly maintains in Switzerland. Government officials claim Marcos embezzled up to$10 billion during his administration and stashed Mil Lions in Swiss Bank accounts. Philippine Law bans trials in absent a and official shave delayed filing criminal charges for fear Marcos would insist on returning. Last saturday military chief of staff Gen. Renato Devilla said the armed forces command would not try to Block Marcos return but noted that the former presi Dent s presence would cause Security Marcos still enjoys support among conservatives i both the general population and the ranks of the armed forces. His supporters have been agitating for Aquino to let Marcos come Home for the funeral of his Mother Jose a Edralin Marcos who died May 4. Family member Sand Marcos supporters say no Date for the burial will be set until the ousted president is allowed to com Home. Dubuque Captain refusing to show for Navy hearing Washington a the Captain of the amphibious transport Dock Dubuque is refusing to appear at a Navy disciplinary hearing on charges of dereliction of duty for failing to res Cue a Boatload of vietnamese refugees who claim they later resorted to cannibalism to sur Vive the service . Alexander g. Balian 48, has been charged with two counts of violating lawful or Ders under a Section of the uniform code of military Justice that Calls for non judicial punishment proceedings said cmdr. David Dillon a Pacific Fleet spokesman in san was ordered to appear at a closed Admi ral s Mast wednesday afternoon before vice adm. George w. Davis jr., head of All surface ships in the Pacific Fleet the spokesman such a hearing Balian could be stripped permanently of his command fined or issued a let Ter of reprimand or censure. But Balian notified the Navy on tuesday afternoon that he was exercising his right to refuse the Admiral s Mast said capt. Peter Litrenta spokesman for the . Pacific Fleet. This won t be dropped a source said. If he does t show up for the Mast tomorrow then there s going to be a was charged with violating a general Navy regulation by wrongfully failing to Render appropriate assistance to vietnamese refugees found on the South China sea on june 9, 1988,in danger of being the second count accuses him of violating standing operational orders for the Pacific Fleet which require a commanding officer to Aid an Rescue refugees encountered at sea in life endangering Navy also alleges Balian was derelict in the performance of those duties in that he negligently failed to investigate sufficiently and Ren Der appropriate assistance. As it was his Dut Todo r
