Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, January 6, 1989

You are currently viewing page 5 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, January 6, 1989

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 6, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse                                The stars and stripes Page 5 freed after 22 years cuban poet and journalist Guillermo Rivas Porta hugs his daughter in Law Hayme Yado Canton at Newark Airport wednesday following his release after 22 years in a cuban prison. . Rep. Frank Guarini d-nj., had urged cuban president Fidel Castro to release Rivas Porta. To workers carry bombs into n.y., dutch airports by the associated press a French television worker was arrested wednesday and charged with checking in fake bombs at Newyork s Kennedy Airport and a dutch to station re ported smuggling a phony bomb onto a London bound flight authorities said. In Amsterdam to station Veronica filmed one of its reporters carrying an attache Case containing the imitation bomb through Security checkpoints and onto an aircraft at Schipholt Airport considered one of the safest in Europe. In the Kennedy Airport incident three packages containing bogus bombs were left for shipment at the cargo areas of three International airlines. The packages contained typed messages that read impart congratulations you have found our phony bomb said port authority spokesman Armando Arrastia. The bombs were made with molding Clay alarm clocks and wires. The message was written on the Letterhead of the French television station tf1 and signed by the Sta Tion s new York Bureau chief Alain Chaillou he said. Tf1 employee Bruce Frankel 37, was arrested after a Twa counter employee became suspicious of a 6-by 8-Inch package Frankel wanted to Check through to Paris Arrastia said. Inspecting the package the employee found what appeared to be a bomb he said. When police arrived Frankel cried no no it s a fake and took the bomb apart As the police officer and others watched Arrastia said. Frankel then told police he had delivered similar packages to pan american world airways and air France Arrastia said. Frankel was charged with giving false information Federal charge punishable by a $1,000 Fine or one year in jail or both. He was in the custody of the Fri. Chaillou who called Airport police to say he would turn himself in faces the same charges according to Airport police. Twa spokesman Robert Blattner said we Are very pleased our employees were Able to use their techniques and just solve the Case on the  the message contained in each of the packages also said we Are tf1, the largest television network i France and it is with due respect and great pleasure that we will Tell our 18 million viewers who watch our daily newscast at 8, that we found your company to be keen and consistent with Security  a package had been accepted at air France at about 2 . By an employee who knew Frankel because he often used the airlines to Send film to the television station in Paris said Bruce Haxthausen an air France spokesman. At the pan am Small cargo Check in the package had been accepted and was on its Way to thex Ray when the new York port authority police walked in and seized the package said an airline spokesman. In Amsterdam television station Veronica reported wednesday that it smuggled its fake bomb onto a Lon Don bound flight to demonstrate terrorists can pass Security checks with relative ease. The imitation bomb consisted of paste made to re semble a plastic explosive of the Type thought responsible for the dec. 21 bombing of pan american flight 103 Over Lockerbie Scotland which killed 270 people the report said. Reporter Gert Berg carried the briefcase which also contained a portable stereo wired to resemble a Deto Nator. He was filmed putting the fake explosive and Detonator into the Case checking his baggage an opening the attache Case on the aircraft. The Case was filmed passing through an a Ray device. The airline involved was not identified on the pro Gram. North loses classified testimony bid Washington a a Federal appeals court panel wednesday rejected a bid by attorneys for Oliver l. North to avoid turning Over to prosecutors a 162 Page summary of classified testimony they expect to present at his trial in the Iran Contra affair. The . Court of appeals dissolved temporary stay it issued tuesday and de Nied a motion to permanently bar .district judge Gerhard Gesell from giving the office of Independent counsel Lawrence Walsh a summary of proposed defense testimony that is classified. The request could have forced a delaying the trial now set for Jan. 31. North s lawyers have said providing the summary to prosecutors would unfairly present them with information on North s defense and they petitioned the appeals court for a writ of  writ is an order that a specified Sands of time thing be done issued by a higher court Toa lower one. But in a two Page order a three judge appeals court panel said such a step is to be invoked Only in extraordinary situations adding that although North had raised serious claims that he will suffer deprivation of constitutional rights he fails to satisfy the stringent Legal Stan Dard for obtaining such Relief. This court will not interrupt a Crimi Nal proceeding and invade the province of the District court when Petitioner Hasan effective remedy through direct a peal from a final judgment of conviction said the appeals court. Meanwhile in a four Page memo filed tuesday in Federal court and publicly released wednesday North s attorneys reiterated their objections to being subjected to an arbitrary limit of 300 purportedly classified documents in a de sense of North at his trial. The figure had been set dec. 12 by be sell. North s lawyers filed a narrowed Down list of 300 classified documents on tues Day y there is no justification for such a re Striction in this global Case challenging aspects of three years of United states foreign policy Brendan Sullivan and other North lawyers said in the memo. Walsh s office will be limited to using some 300 classified documents in prosecuting North. North has deemed some 3,500 documents to be relevant to his defense and the memo by his attorneys said the court s limitation is omitting thousands of other obviously relevant  North s attorneys said the defense should not be compelled to select its 300documents when it is unclear what counts will be tried. . Tightens Airport area restrictions Washington a the transportation department announced the Start wednesday of tighter control Over Access to restricted areas in airports generally through the use of computerized identification cards for employees. The department said the new Federal aviation administration regulations will be phased in Over the next 2 /2 years at 270 airports. Although Airport operators will be Al Lowed to meet the new Security require ments through various ways Many Are expected to use a computer controlled identification card system to control Access to restricted areas. In the stars and stripes 40 years ago today. Jan. 6, 1949 los Angeles officials began investigating smog conditions i Pasadena after seven people attending the tournament of roses Parade died of heart attacks within a few hours of one another. 30 years ago today. Jan. 6, 1959, television columnist Marie Torre was sent to prison for 10 Day for contempt of court for refusing to disclose the source of a news report concerning Singer Judy Garland. 20 years ago today. Jan. 6, 1969 a jetliner flying from Afghanistan to Gatwick Airport England came in too Low for a Landing in a dense fog and crashed into a Brick House just Short of the Airport killing 52 people including two on the ground. ? 0 years ago today. Jan. 6, 1979 during a three Day meeting in Guadeloupe leaders of Britain France the United states and West Germany discussed possible British sales of Jet fighters and up to $2 billion in non military Trade with Mainland China. Calif Driver runs ouf of Gas to finish slow motion chose los Angeles a the califor Nia Highway patrol booked a Motorist for evading arrest and other charges aftera Long slow Chase through four counties that never exceeded the Speed limit a spokesman said wednesday. The cup Pursuit of a 1978 Volks Wagen Sedan began near Malibu at about 6 45 . Tuesday and ended More than four hours and about 350 Miles later Insan Diego county officer Cliff Wil Liams said. His vehicle ran out of Gas that s Why he stopped Williams said. The Driver Brett t. Barish 29, of laj9lla, was booked on charges of failure to yield to a peace officer driving while intoxicated driving without a valid License and seven miscellaneous warrants Williams said. The Chase began when officer Donna Urquidi tried to Stop the Volkswagen for driving very slowly while northbound on Malibu Canyon Road about 30 mile West of downtown los Angeles. The car stopped Williams said but Asur Idi approached the car it pulled away. Within 15 minutes a los Angeles police helicopter chattered overhead. An for the next four hours at least two cup patrol cars pursued the car Siren screaming and lights flashing As it wended it s Way through los Angeles Riverside Orange and san Diego coun ties. The cup never really considered try ing to Force the car off the Road Williams said  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade