Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, February 21, 1989

You are currently viewing page 3 of: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, February 21, 1989

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 21, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Tuesday february 21, 1989 the stars and stripes Page 3 guardsmen replace picketing Hospital staff Cranston . A gov. Edward d. Diprete called out the National guard to help staff the state general Hospital overnight after Union worker rejected an offer to Settle a staffing Dis Pute and then set up picket lines. James p. Benedict the Hospital administrator said Only 26 of a Normal shift of 78 licensed practical nurses an attendants showed up for work at 7 . Monday. They were augmented by 70national guard troops. It was the second time in three weeks that the governor had assigned National guard troops to help out at the Hospital which provides Long term care to More than 400 patients because of labor trouble. The state filed a request for a court order to halt the work stoppage but there was no immediate action on the request. Judge Antonio s. Almeida met behind closed doors with both sides forbore than an hour. Lawyers said later that he granted the Union s request that it be Given a Day to prepare a defense. Seven of the National guardsmen on duty monday have nursing training the others Are doing non medical tasks such As feeding and washing patients. A strike by state Hospital worker would be illegal. The Union called Mon Day s Job action merely a protest but Benedict countered once you get those picket lines out there and they re keeping people out i Call it a  members of american federation of state county and municipal employees local 1350 Are locked in a Battle with Testate Over staffing at the Hospital. The Union has about 1,300 members roughly half of whom work at general Hospital. They voted by a 4-to-l margin to reject a proposed 53-cent-an-hour raise in return for concessions on staffing including greater management leeway in transferring staffers from Ward toward and a Cut in overtime. Negotiations broke Down Friday. Workers staged a four Day sick out that ended Jan. 31 Only when National guard troops also were ordered by Diprete to help staff the wards. Fatal crash in Jungle civilian aviation officials from Kuala Bumpur inspect wreckage of a jumbo Jet that crashed sunday in a Hilly malaysian Jungle sunday killing its four Man Ameri can Crew. The flying tigers Boeing 747, carrying a cargo of clothing and mail but no passengers was Enro Ute from Singapore to Subang International Airport outside Kuala Bumpur when it went Down in foggy weather. The victims were identified As Frank Helpin 53, of los Angeles Captain Jack Robinson 54, of Tuc son ariz., first officer Ron Penton 70, of Burlingame calif., second officer and Leonard Sulewski 53, of Whitehouse no maintenance Engineer. The flying tigers air freight company that operated the big cargo plane is based in los Angeles. Canada May reopen 85 crash probe Ottawa a the Canadian Senate Likely will conduct its own investigation of the 1985 crash in Gander Newfoundland of a plane carrying . Servicemen a newspaper reported. The report follows Calls to reopen a probe that ended in december with Canadian investigators divided Over what caused the crash that killed 248 soldiers and a Crew of eight. Herb Gray Deputy Leader of the opposition Liberal party in the House of commons said wednesday his party wants the Senate to conduct an inquiry into the crash Canada s worst aviation disaster. There Are so Many lingering doubts and questions that something More has to be done the Ottawa Citi zen quoted Gray As saying late last week. The Arrow air charter dc-8, carrying soldiers of the 101st airborne div Back to fort Campbell ky., fro peace keeping duties in the Middle East crashed shortly after Takeoff from Gander Airport on dec. 12, 1985. The Canadian aviation safety Board conclude dec. 8 that ice on the wings was the Likely cause but a minority said in a separate opinion that an in flight fire caused the crash. Aviation week and space technology has recently called on the Canadian government to reopen the in Quiry because of unanswered questions. Relatives seek Congress probe of flight 103 Hasbrouck Heights . A relatives of pan am flight 103 victims organized a committee sunday to push for a congressional investigation of the flight s bombing and to step up airline Security. If we Don t organize ourselves in an effective Way. It will be very difficult to go Forward said Paul Hudson. Hudson s daughter Melina 16, was aboard the jetliner when it blew up Over Lockerbie Scotland on dec. 21, killing All 259 aboard including 35 students from Syra Cuse University and 11 residents of Lockerbie. We be come to assist each other in our grief Hud son said. We be come to try to ensure that there Are no More right 103  seventy five to 100 relatives Many with photo graphs of their lost loved ones pinned to their chests attended the meeting at a restaurant to form the Vic Tims of pan am flight 103 committee. Last week officials announced that the terrorist bomb that destroyed the Boeing 747 was traced to a portable radio stored among the Luggage. The plane was in route from London to new York. Besides giving support and Aid to grieving relatives the committee will push for a congressional investigation of the bombing said Bill Ammerman whose brother Tom was aboard flight 103. The group will seek stronger Security measures including installation of devices that detect plastic explosives. The families approved a Resolution that Calls for the resignation of Paul Bremer . Ambassador at Large for counter terrorism. The group said Bremer should resign because he has said air plane flight Crews and passengers do not need to know about All bomb threats. Bremer said earlier this month that the state department will make sure any airline travel warning issued to government employees about terrorist threats will also go to the Public. He told the House foreign affairs committee the american embassy in Moscow violated policy in Post ing a warning about pan american flights from Frank Furt West Germany to the United states. The warning which was not made Public came eight Days before flight 103, which originated i Frankfurt was bombed. It is not our policy to Alert government officials an not the general Public to such a threat Bremer said at the time. There is and can be no double  but Bremer said the threats should not be announced at All because it would encourage copycat terrorist  eco of Sis of fight plan for spaceport in Florida Orlando Fla. A Environ mentalists across the country will fight attempts to build the nation s first commercial spaceport at a site on the Northern part of Kennedy space Cen ter an activist warns. This is one of those fall on your sword and die issues said Charles Lee senior vice president of the Flor Ida Audubon society. The state Hopes to build a $58 Mil lion spaceport Florida within three years at either Kennedy space Center or the adjacent Cape canaveral air Force station. But More than a dozen environmental and civic groups plan to oppose any at tempt to locate the spaceport on a part of the space Center known As Shiloh that mismanaged As a Park by the Merritt Island National wildlife Refuge. If the Shiloh site remains you will probably see opposition to spaceport Florida on a nationwide level Lee said. Building at Shiloh would increase construction costs by 20 percent but state officials prefer it because they want to avoid restrictions on funding and Access posed by using a military installation according to Chris shove director of the state department of Commerce s space programs office. Lee said letting Public officials give chunks of Parkland for commercial ventures would set a bad precedent. The launch facility also would restrict Public Access to the wildlife Refuge and canaveral National seashore an highly toxic rocket fuels would endanger nearby environmentally sensitive areas critics of the proposal say. We All support putting it at Canave ral air Force station said Reid Hughes a Volusia county environmentalist. Perhaps it would be Best to eliminate the controversy now and drop the Shiloh  if significant environmental Impact is shown at Shiloh the project will be stopped shove said. But i Don t think there s been any evidence of that  under the Shiloh plan the state initially would build one launch pad on a 50-acre area. As demand increased for commercial launches three More pads could be added. At the canaveral base three launch pads abandoned by the military could be used after extensive renovations. State officials expect to pick the final site within six months and Start a de tailed environmental study of both areas shortly after shove said. But if the legislature refuses gov. Bob Marti Nez s request for the first $10 million for the project this Spring spaceport Florida May be shelved  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade