European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 3, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 a the stars and stripes saturday March 3,1990 Anc picks Nelson Mandela for no. 2. Post _ -. In. Mistic about a political settlement but a map Lusaka Zambia apr the african National Congress on Friday named Nelson Mandela As its Deputy president and welcomed him and two others to the leadership positions they held before they were arrested in South Africa in the 1960s. Mandela released feb. 11 after 27 years in prison becomes the no. 2 official in the Anc behind president Oliver Tambo who is recuperating from a stroke in a swedish clinic. The Post of Deputy president is a new position. The Anc the main Black group fighting South africans White led government also reaffirmed its intention to meet soon with South african president . De Klerk and said it would soon open Headquarters offices in Johannesburg. While the Anc was outlawed in South Africa its political and guerrilla leaders operated their Headquarters from Zam Bia. On feb. 2, de Klerk lifted the 30 year ban on the Anc. Mandela and fellow longtime political detainees Walter Sisulu and Govan Beki resumed seats they held on the National executive committee before they were arrested More than two decades ago said an Anc statement read at a news conference by the acting president and meeting chairman Alfred no. Sisulu 77, and Beki 79, were sentenced to life in prison along with Mandela in 1964. Beki was released in 1987 and Sisulu was freed in october. The committee is the Ancus main policymaking group. Mandela gave details on his new role in the Anc. A i am prepared to serve in any role the National executive instructs me to fill a he said. Mandela told reporters he was optimistic about a political settlement but said he was unwilling to predict any item Frame for negotiations or the return of exiles. A we Are already making there is no reason Why we should not be Able to make further Progress he said. �?o1 am optimistic that the process of re moving All obstacles to negotiations on. 1 will be surprised if we Don t succeed in removing the obstacles. The Anc reiterated that it will not enter into formal negotiations wit i the South african government until it Litts the state of emergency and releases All political prisoners. De Klerk has said he plans to lift the 31/2-year-old state of emergency and will free prisoners convicted of belonging to previously outlawed organizations mat he legalized last month. However the government has said it will not free people convicted of violent acts. Nelson Mandela a i / v i Lviv Vij a v a a a a a jailed Enrile proclaims he a willing to run against Aquino for president Manila Phil innings api a opposition sen. Juana a j Manila Philippines apr opposition sen. Juan Ponce Enrile said Friday he is prepared to run for president in 1992 if he is acquitted of rebellion and murder charges and president Corazon Aquino seeks a second term. Enrile made the announcement on his third Day in jail. He said he will run if the opposition nationalist party of which he is Secretary general nominates him in the 1992 presidential elections. The philippine Constitution prohibits the president from seeking a second term. Aquino whose popularity has remained High among Ordinary citizens has repeatedly said she will not run for president in 1992. Also Friday hotel owner Ribecco Panlilio and his wife Erlinda who were charged tuesday with Enrile surrendered to the National Bureau of investigation officials said. Enrile and the Panlilio arc among seven people indicted so far in the most dramatic bid to prosecute those allegedly involved in a failed coup attempt last december. Three of the seven remain at Large. They Are former it. Col. Gregorio a a Gringo Onasan suspended provincial gov. Rodolfo Aguinaldo and retired Brig. Gen. Felix Brawner. The seventh former it. Col. Billy Bibit is in j to 11 Onasan enrol cd a former chief Security aide led a August 1987 Mutiny against Aquino and is believed to be among the main architects of the december coup attempt. He was arrested in december 1987 but escaped the following april. Aguinaldo suspended governor of the Northern province of Bagayan is believed to be in hiding in his Hometown of Gat Taran with about 100 armed supporters. Negotiations arc under Way for his surrender. Brawner an adviser to the Senate defense committee has said he will turn himself in on monday. He is accused of giving advice to the rebels during the coup attempt. The Panlilio were allegedly at Enrile a Home on dec. 1, when witnesses claimed they also saw Onasan and about 100 rebel soldiers. Enrile says he has not seen Onasan since 1987. Also Friday a court in suburban Makati where Engle faces an additional charge of harbouring a fugitive received a bomb threat several hours before the Case was to be assigned to one of the 28 judges of the regional trial storm from Page 1 an estimated $3 million in damage to air Force bases in the Netherlands and West Germany. Army bases also suffered millions of dollars in damage. Vii corp units experienced at least $4.2 million in damage and units in the 21st theater army area come had damage of $2.6 million. Usa eur officials Are still tabulating the damage in other parts of the command. In the search to pay the Bills Alexander said officials would be looking at a engineering and housing types of . Military facilities As a Rule Are not insured. A i would presume that its considered to be More surrounded by his grandchildren philippine sen. Juan Ponce Enrile announces he May seek presidency. Court. A similar bomb scare thursday disrupted activities in another court in suburban Quezon City which was hearing Enrile a rebellion Case. Police failed to find any bombs. The supreme court has set a hearing tuesday on a petition by Enrile a lawyers questioning the legality of the charges. Expensive to have commercial insurance than take the chances of having to repair some damages a he said. A but in a not in the business of deciding the necessity of insurance. Alexander said roof damage was the biggest problem. A if we done to get the roofs repaired quickly it could Lead to considerably further damages if we continue to get rain and Snow a Alexander said. Of the $4.2 million in damage reported by Vii corps $3.6 million was attributed to damaged facilities capt. Anda Strauss said. The communities of Wurzburg and Stuttgart were hardest hit in Vii corps with damage of $900,000 and $730,000, respectively. Among the most severely damaged air bases this week were Pitburg and Hahn. Damage at Pitburg was estimated at $1.5 million said sgt. Cheryl Toner a news Brief Hanau area warned about escaped wolves Hanau West Germany a amps a German officials Are warning residents to stay away from a wooded area near Hanau where a pack of wolves escaped from a wild animal Park late thursday. About a dozen of the animals escaped from the Fasan Erie in the suburb of Klein nauheim and Are believed to be roaming the Woods surrounding the Park a military Community spokeswoman said. Recent heavy winds knocked Down fencing surrounding the wolves enclosed area allowing them to flee. As of late Friday one Wolf had been killed and another captured by German forestry officials. Food is being placed in the Woods to lure the rest of the pack the spokeswoman said. The animals Are accustomed to humans being in the Park a but if one is seen done to run away walk away so you done to startle it a she warned. No one has been injured by the wolves. Any sightings of the animals should be reported to German or . Military police. Galvin from Page 1 military leaders Friday afternoon to discuss i of prow issues and How troops in his command will be Ane by mounting budget cuts. I a a we la be looking at How All this affects the nine Guy a he said. Before the hearing ended Galvin made a ment on the proposed base construction at pro Italy to House the 401st tac fighter Wing. A we do not have a lot of combat Power i Southern Region. But moving the 401st to c010" put . Power in the Heel of the Boot of Italy w f 16s,�?� he said. That the 401st is leaving Torrejon a Spain a country a demand. Base spokeswoman. Roofs and Roll Down so amp Joes counted for most of the damage. Hahn r $500,000 Worth of damage said Doug Moore. Safe breakdown of damage to Safe >asssjj1hrllar Germany during the storms in january Ana r a shows Pitburg $659,500 Hahn $501,000, Lin air station $12,100 Ramstein $951,900 Serong $102,900 Span Dahlem $306,500 and Wei $271,400. I the wind that wreaked havoc across e�?or0/e week left in its Wake a heavy snowfall in South Germany where skiing had suffered for Lack this Winter. ,. A we have lots of Snow for people who care a it a Harry Connors spokesman for the arme recreation Center said Friday in Garmisch. The country a tallest Mountain the 92 Inch he reported
