Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, April 27, 1990

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, April 27, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - April 27, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 a a a the stars and stripes Friday april 27,1990lithuania to Start food rationing May 1 Moscow apr lithuanian lawmakers decided thursday to impose food rationing starting May 1 As the rebellious Republic continued to struggle under an economic blockade that has reduced its supplies of fuel and Medicine. Lithuania widened efforts to circumvent sanctions imposed last week by soviet president Mikhail s. Gorbachev who wants Lithuania to rescind Laws that implement its March 11 declaration of Independence. A lithuanian delegation was due in the Northern soviet City of Leningrad on Friday to talk with local officials about a direct Exchange of goods either for hard currency or barter a Leningrad journalist said. Prime minister Kazimiera Prunskiene announced wednesday that Lithuania had halted its usual supplies of meat milk and other food products to the rest of the soviet Union. She urged Lithuania to Settle its accounts with the republics a almost in marketplace conditions of bartering for other goods. Rita Dapkus a spokeswoman for the lithuanian parliament or supreme Council said lawmakers decided to ration some food products but gave no details. Unlike most soviet republics Lithuania produces All the meat and Dairy goods it needs so the rationing presumably would be of those foodstuffs it does not produce or of meat and milk products marked for Export. The supreme Council on wednesday also endowed its Council of ministers with Broad control Over the Economy and local governments during the period of the embargo Dapkus said. The Powers include the ability to change Supply plans Transfer workers to different jobs and use natural and financial resources in a centralized manner she said. The Kremlin began cutting off natural Gas Oil and other supplies to Lithuania one week . General says Lithuania should t expect Rescue by Rosemary Sawyer Staft writer Heidelberg West Germany a Independence hungry lithuanians should realize the world probably wont Rush to their Rescue a lithuanian born . General said thursday. People of the world Arentt willing to a fall on the sword to save Lithuania a Brig. Gen. Sidney Shachnow told the stars and stripes after speaking at a Heidelberg luncheon. Shachnow said he a rooting for the lithuanians but noted their a Uphill Bat funeral set monday for retired Soldier Goppinger West Germany a a funeral will be held monday for a retired . Soldier who died at the 5th general Hospital in bad Cannstatt on wednesday. Retired chief warrant officer 4 John Alfred Noeth was 82. He will be buried will full military honors at the Goppinger cemetery at 11 . Noeth was born and raised in Wurzburg West Germany. He emigrated to the United states in 1928 and became a . Citizen in 1933. He joined the army in 1942 and served As an enlisted Soldier in the Normandy invasion. He remained in West Germany after retiring from the army in 1966. The Soldier is survived by his wife Irmgard Noeth a son Fred Noeth and a daughter Edna Schaffer. A brother Ernst Noeth lives in Wurzburg. Tie in trying to escape soviet Rule. The Berlin brigade commander was bom in Kaunas Lithuania. He said the Baltic state might have to adopt a slower More cautious approach to Independence. Despite his interest in a free Lithuania Shachnow said he supported president Bush a refusal to impose sanctions on the soviet Union in response to its crackdown on Lithuania. A the president knows what sat stake Only he can make the decisions a Shachnow said. Bush ruled out sanctions for fear it might cause the soviets to take Steps that would reverse recent worldwide strides in the cause of Freedom. Shachnow spoke at a holocaust remembrance luncheon at the Patrick Henry Village officers and civilians club. The 55-year-old officer spent More than three years in a German prison Camp in Lithuania during world War ii. Shachnow Only recently began sharing his prison Camp experiences after a Friend pointed out that a the inventory of those who witnessed the event is gradually declining a he said. A regardless of How i Felt 1 had not a Legal obligation but certainly a moral obligation to participate in these kinds of  in his remarks Shachnow said americans Constitution foreign policy and affirmation of human rights Are three treasures that should protect the world from another holocaust. The Constitution a prevents the autocratic Assumption of Power in the separation of Power a and . Foreign policy a ardently encourages  these combined with americans a steadfastness in the affirmation of human rights Are our Protection against genocide a he said. Advisory group working to ensure troop cuts Are not unfair to women34 killed As hundreds Rush for free clothes Dhaka Bangladesh apr hundreds of poor women and children stampeded to reach a building where free clothes were being distributed thursday and police said at least 34 people were killed and 20 injured in the crush. About 8,000 people had gathered at a factory in the Southern port City of Chittagong for the Giveaway said police officials reached by Telephone from Dhaka. It was organized to Mark the end of the moslem Noly month of  the Branch of service for Brig. Gen. Daniel Munro director of combat related employment of women for Canada was incorrect in an article yesterday. He is in the Canadian air Force. Two captions with a recent daily Magazine feature on the world War i Battle at Gallipoli incorrectly said world Warll. The time for wednesdays vol Smarch in Herzog Nakrach was incorrect yesterday. The March will begin at 2 . And end at 7 . By Janet Howells Tierney Washington Bureau Washington a members of a defense advisory committee Are digging in to prevent women in the military from bearing the Brunt of troop cuts. A we will be keeping the heat on the services to make sure women Are not inadvertently and disproportionally affected by those restructuring plans a said Meredith Neizer chairwoman of the defense advisory committee on women in the services. The effect of troop reductions on women who make up about 10 percent of the . Military Force was a question that overshadowed the groups five Day meeting this week Neizer said. The committee May have a fight on its hands. It. Gen. Donald w. Jones of the defense departments military manpower and personnel policy division said in an interview that upcoming troop cuts could focus on jobs primarily held by women. A if we were to Cut combat service support we have a preponderance of women in those organizations and that could have a negative effect a Jones said. Another area the committee will be watching is Quality of life issues. A we will make sure health care and child care problems Are not increased because of the cuts that come from the structural changes a Neizer said adding that military men will Benefit from the committees efforts too. Other subjects discussed by the 33-member group included the army a rejection of a recommendation for a four year test of women in combat positions. A we still believe that it needs to be tested a Neizer said. A but we understand that with the restructuring of the Force and. With competing interests for the dollars this is not the Best time to be testing  the committee will put the four Vear test in Mothballs she said and wait for a More stable time to reintroduce the idea. However the push to open More army Field artillery positions for women is continuing. The committee recommended that opportunities be expanded for women by reopening Lance firing batteries and multiple launch rocket systems at the corps level. The army a combat exclusion policy recently barred women from positions they held in Lance firing batteries and is expected to ban further assignments to such units. By excluding women from such positions the committee feels the army is impeding career advancement. A decision from the Pentagon on opening All Field artillery positions to women is expected this summer. The committee also is awaiting word from the Navy on the assignment of women to naval Mobile construction battalions. The battalions Are non combat units and opening the positions to women would not violate any policy the committee said in a draft report. 7th army no Academy to move to Grafe Wohr for better training area by Steve Taylor. Munich Bureau the 7th army no Academy in bad Tolz West Germany will move to Grafe Wohr sometime Between july and september an official said thursday. Command sgt. Maj. Billy of Neal the school commandant said the move was unrelated to the Usa eur plan to study closing the bad Tolz military Community which includes Flint Cavern and Baker army Airfield. Of Neal said the school move had been under study for several months and is being made to a provide better training and better  Usa eur announced wednesday that Gen. Crosbie Saint had ordered a study on the feasibility of closing the bad Tolz military Community which is Home to the special forces operations Force Europe and the 1st in 10th special forces group. Bad Tolz is about 30 Miles South of Munich. Of Neal cited the Small training area available at the bad Tolz installation As the main reason for the move. The school plans to occupy a three building Complex at the Grafe Wohr main training area. Those buildings were occupied by the 3rd in 60th air defense arty until it was deactivated in March. Grafe Wohr about 65 Miles North of a Firnberg is the site of the Grafe Wohr combined arms training area and the Headquarters for 7th army training coma. The school trains Junior cos in military leadership skills and is the first stage of education in an a co a professional training. Maj. Len Jeffreys a spokesman for the 7th army training come said the move will a bring them the students Here where there is More Opportunity for training. He said that Grafe Wohr As the largest training Complex in Usa eur with More than 50,000 acres offers More facilities and activities than bad Tolz. About 9,000 soldiers can train there at any one time. While a Date has not been set for the move one class will be cancelled during the period of july through september to accommodate the Transfer of Neal said. Students will be notified by their commands and rescheduled for other classes he said. The bad Tolz school employs 60 military instructors and five civilians in support roles. A majority of the military instructors will be moved to Grafe Wohr. About a dozen instructors will move to other locations in Europe or the Umstea states. Efforts will be made to find other positions within the Community for civilian employees of Neal said. The school was the first army no Academy established in Munich m it moved to bad Tolz in 1958  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade