European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 10, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Thursday May 10, 1990 the stars and stripes a a a Page 9 protesters Cut Short meeting with Iliescu Bucharest Romania apr anticommunist protesters stormed out of a meeting with the interim president Ion Iliescu on tuesday dashing government Hopes of a Quick end to a Marathon round the clock rally by demonstrators seeking Iliescu a resignation. The meeting ended minutes after it began when the delegation sent by the protesters objected to the governments refusal to permit videotaping of the meeting and refused a counteroffer of a stenographer recording the minutes. At the downtown University Square site of the anti Iliescu protest about 1,000 demonstrators had gathered at midday loudly demanding Iliescu a resignation and calling his National salvation front which dominates the interim government a party of the demonstrators continuing their protests that began 17 Days ago vowed not to Stop until May 20, when the country goes to the polls for the first free National elections in More than 50 years. Iliescu a former communist party functionary became a critic of former dictator Nicolae Ceausescu in the Early 1970s and was relegated to lesser functions because of his outspoken stance. After Ceausescu was toppled in december and the National salvation front was catapulted to prominence Iliescu and other former communist officials within the party publicly broke with their marxist past and embraced democratic free Market ideals. But their critics accuse them of adhering to communist ideals and seeking to reimpose totalitarian Rule in Case of a front Victory on May 20. News that the talks had broken Down were greeted with nervous indignation on University Square. Protest speeches Media representatives surround protest leaders tuesday in Bucharest As they discuss the breakup of their conference with Iliescu. Which normally begin late in the Day started shortly after delegation members reported that the meeting had been aborted. In another development the National Liberal party said its presidential candidate Radu Campeanu had cancelled planned Campaign stops in the Region of Moldavia in northeastern Romania after being attacked saturday by alleged front supporters in Braila 180 Miles Northeast of Bucharest. Campeanu suffered cuts to the face in the attacks said Liberal party officials adding that he was considering whether to cancel planned rallies in the Central City of Brasov and in Timisoara about 180 Miles West of Bucharest out of con Cern for his safety. Both Campeanu and Ion Ratiu candidate of the National peasants party have recently warned that they would Boycott the elections unless political violence perpetrated by alleged front supporters abated. Ratiu and his wife also have claimed to have been the targets of front assault. Greece . Resume talks on future of bases from staff and wire reports Athens Greece a greek and . Negotiators have once again resumed talks on the future of military bases a spokeswoman for the american embassy said wednesday. A we do not comment on the Progress or contents of such talks a the spokeswoman said. The talks which opened monday Are aimed at renewing a defense agreement Between the two countries that expired in december 1988. The negotiations will be held daily at the foreign ministry until May 16 and will resume in Washington on May 22. Government spokesman Vyron poly doras said the negotiating teams were the same As those that had met in previous sessions. He said that earlier talks resulted in �?o90 percent agreement and would resume from that Point. Under the expired five year agreement the United states must dismantle its four major bases and about 20 smaller installations unless a new Accord is reached by nov. 21. In january the United states announced that it will be closing the Nea Makri base and hell Nikon Abas part of a worldwide reduction of . Military installations. The Nea Makri base about 26 Miles Northeast of Athens was established in 1963 As a radio transmitting and receiving relay station in support of the . 6tn Fleet. It is one of the four major military bases installed in Greece under a defense agreement that began in the 1950s and has been renewed periodically since. Conservative Premier Constantine i Tsitakis has said he looks Forward to a new agreement that will be a in the Mutual interest of both he has also indicated that a new Accord could last for eight years. Negotiations on a new pact with the former socialist administration were suspended after 17 rounds before elections last june. The coalition governments that succeeded the socialists alter those elections and another inconclusive poll in november froze the Issue a conservative party. New democracy won april 8 in marines slaying May be released Manila Philippines apr prosecutors ordered police wednesday to release three suspects in the killing of a . Marine saying their arrests were flawed and evidence linking them to the slaying was insufficient. But police refused to release the men until the chief of police and mayor approve it officials said. Meanwhile . Diplomats in Manila began replacing their diplomatic Auto License tags with regular plates to prevent rebels from identifying them sources in the . Community said. The state department also is considering hazardous duty pay for diplomats based in the Philippines because of threats by communist rebels officials said tuesday. Olon Gapo assistant prosecutor Doren Tino Floresca ordered the release of re nato Angeles William Burke and Johnny Quitlong hours after police recommended filing robbery with homicide charges against them. Gunnery sgt. John Fredette 34, was murdered near the Subic Bay naval base 50 Miles West of Manila. Troops allowed off base again Manila Philippines a �?. Officials on wednesday allowed american troops to leave their bases for the first time since the killing of a Marine but a late night curfew was imposed because of continuing threats from communist rebels. Last saturday . Roger Rich senior . Military commander in the Philippines banned off Post leaves after gunnery sgt. John Fredette 34, was slain near the Subic Bay naval base. In a statement wednesday the . Military said the 40,000 . Troops defense department civilians and military dependents would be allowed to leave the six american installations effective immediately but must return to Post Between Midnight and 5 30 . Those who five off Post must be in their Homes during the curfew period the statement said. Floresca said police did not present arrest warrants when they arrested the three on monday. While arrests without warrants Are permitted in special cases he said this was not one of those cases. Floresca said his ruling does not absolve the three in the slaying of Fredette but added that evidence presented by police is a not convincing to establish their guilt. He ordered police to submit additional evidence against the three within five working Days. On tuesday police it. Col. Macar thur Torres said Angeles 38, a former Subic base worker confessed to having killed Fredette accidentally in a robbery attempt. But Angeles denied wednesday that he had made such a confession. Police earlier had speculated that fre Dutte was shot by communist rebels who have threatened to Kilt american service members. Angeles 38, and Burke 24, were arrested monday after witnesses said they had been seen running from a darkened Street in Olon Gapo. Quitlong also was arrested monday and was linked to the killing wednesday when a witness said he was among the men seen at the crime scene. Torres quoted Angeles As saying Burke blocked Fredet Tco a path and asked for Money but the american resisted. Angeles armed with a handgun came from behind to Surprise Fredette but the gun went off As he pointed it at the Serviceman. The murder weapon was not recovered and Fredette Swatch and Wallet were not taken police said. Communist guerrillas have slain five americans since april 1989, when army col. James a a Nick Rowe was assassinated in suburban Quezon City. . Embassy spokesman Gerry Huchel confirmed that hazardous duty pay for the 300 . Diplomats in the Philippines was under consideration
