European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 16, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday june 16, 1990 the stars and stripes Page 9b-2 is no. 1 concern Dugan confirms plan would delay modernizing missiles Washington apr president Bush s nominee for air Force chief of staff said publicly what has been hinted at for weeks the services top priority is the b-2 bomber and land based nuclear missiles can wait. Gen. Michael j. Dugan now commander of . Air forces Europe confirmed reports that the service has proposed to defense Secretary Dick Cheney that modernization of land based missiles be delayed. Asked if the air Force had recommended that option Dugan told the Senate armed services committee a i understand that. I accept that approve that and i support that. One needs to look at affordability issues in every Cheney still has the final say on whether the Pentagon will slow Down development of the single warhead midget Man missile and delay plans to move the multiple warhead my missile from silos to rail cars. A this is a proposal. It Hasni to been reviewed. Its subject to lots of further discussion a Dugan said thursday. In april the defense Secretary said the Bush administration supported the my rail Basing program which accounts for $2.8 billion in the defense budget for the fiscal year beginning oct. 1. The budget Calls for $202 million for the midget Man. Dugan made it Clear that the no. 1 concern for the service is the b-2 stealth bomber the pricey radar evading plane that is drawing increased congressional opposition. The air Force originally wanted 132 of the planes at $530 million each. Now that the service has reduced its request to 75, the planes will Cost More than $800 million each because the research and development costs Are shared among fewer bombers. �?o1 rank the b-2 at the head of my list for All strategic barrels of Bones to be examined by Mia experts Washington up a the United states is sending a forensic expert to Malaysia to examine seven barrels of Bones that vietnamese boat refugees claim Are the remains of some 30 . Soldiers the Pentagon said thursday. A the remains Are now in the custody of the . Embassy in Kuala Bumpur a said it. Cmdr. Edward Lundquist a Pentagon spokesman. A we will conduct a preliminary examination of these remains in Malaysia. A if warranted a he said a any or All remains will be brought to the . Army scentral identification Laboratory in Honolulu for further a forensic expert from that Laboratory was being sent to Malaysia for the preliminary examination he said. A boat carrying nine vietnamese refugees who left their Homeland May 30 was discovered earlier this week on a Beach at Kota Ting i in the Southern state of Johore Malaysia with a leak. Aboard the boat were seven barrels of Bones that the refugees claimed were the remains of . Ser Vic members from the Vietnam War. Malaysian officials said they believe the refugees intended to hand Over the remains to the . Embassy in Singapore in the Hope they could gain entry to the United states and also receive a monetary Reward. The 52-foot-Long vessel had a Susa remains in my boat and a this boat has Usa army remains written across the sides said malaysian Deputy police superintendent Roslan Dolah. _ in addition the refugees turned Over dog tags . Mili Tail identification that they said belonged to the remains. A we received 27 dog tags and one piece of paper with dog tag information a Lundquist said. A a preliminary review indicates that none of these 28 names were those of missing americans.�?�. He said the tags were probably lost by . Soldiers during the War. Lundquist said that while it was not unusual for refugees to come out of Vietnam with fragmentary skeletal remains the Quantity of the remains in this Case is unusual. A Only once have any remains returned by a refugee proven to have been those of an american a Lundquist said. A the others either have been animal remains or Southeast a amps Scott Miller Gen. Michael j. Dugan a a. Look at affordability modernization programs in the air Force a Dugan said. His second priority is the midget Man missile and third is the my missile on Railroad cars. A i find a logic to that set of priorities a said sen. Sam Nunn d-ga., chairman of the Senate panel. Sen. John Warner of Virginia ranking Republican on the committee also concurred. In an interview with defense news the outgoing chief of staff Gen. Larry Welch said the United states a bought to pause intercontinental ballistic missile modernization until we have a Clear View of where we re going to go in the next step of arms during his confirmation hearing Dugan also was questioned about the air forces june 4 decision to take away the approval it had previously granted to Mcdonnell Douglas corp. On its purchasing system for the cd 7 transport plane. The decision Means the company must gel air Force approval for purchases in excess of $ 100,000. The service stressed that the action will not delay the program. A a Douglas major purchasing problems Are in the areas of management oversight of purchasing Competition and Price analysis and file documentation a the air Force said in a statement. A the government will reinstate approval of the purchasing system after it has validated that the company has corrected the Dugan said he understood that Douglas has agreed to make changes and establish appropriate controls. Nunn indicated that Dugan and adm. Frank b. Kelso Bush a Choice for chief of naval operations who also testified before the panel would win Swift committee approval. Over Here sergeant sings the praises of the . World cup team by Dave Diehl . Bureau Raf Lakenheath England a soccer nut Joe Bosko did no to really believe the . World cup team would go far in this years quadrennial event but he sure had the winning spirit if not the winning song. Claiming he was sick and tired of hearing All the Rah Rah team songs on the pop record charts in England the 46-year-old Raf Lakenheath master sergeant decided to do something about it. Earlier this year Bosko commissioned his English son in Law who owns a recording studio to put together a song for the . Team. What resulted was an unofficial . World cup song a Complete with English accents a for the american Side soccer soccer we love to play the game. We Are the boys who Are Here to make our name. Soccer soccer you know what we do Best. This year More than Ever Well be showing All the rest. America is what it s All about. America America we want to hear you shout. America we want to make you proud. Soccer soccer Hove to hear that shout we re going to show the world what America s about. Bosko who in his spare time works As a soccer referee and coach is an avid soccer fan who wanted to see the United states at least make it to the second round so it could beat England As it did in 1950 a its last appearance in the world cup. However after suffering a 5-1 drubbing from the czechs followed by a 10 defeat thursday by the heavily favored italians the . Team has proved to be the a no Hopes a Bosko desperately hoped they be. Before the tournament he conceded that a the Chance of them winning the cup is virtually nil a but he thought he could help a Little with the song. Bosko is far from being the first person to come up with such an idea. Themes for English scottish and Irish teams Date Back to the 1960s and have featured the likes of Rod Stewart. So far Bosko has not had As much Luck with getting his tune heard let alone to inspire the american pops amps Dave Diehl master sgt. Joe Bosko a a. What americans about Ulace. He first sent one of the Only two cassettes he had of the song to the . Soccer federation. A they sent it Back a he said. A they said they were working another he tried an Europe too but the network Hasni to played the Jingle citing copyright and Royalty complications. However the song has had some air time on the British broadcasting radio Bedfordshire
