Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, June 30, 1990

You are currently viewing page 3 of: European Stars and Stripes Saturday, June 30, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 30, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Saturday june 30, 1990 the stars and stripes a a Page 3flights banned near chemical Sites the stars and stripes by Peggy Davidson Kaiserslautern Bureau pilots have been prohibited from flying near the storage site for the chemical weapons that will be removed from West Germany this summer. They also can to Fly near a Railhead where the nerve agents will be temporarily stored during the operation. The ban on flights near the Clausen army depot extends 6,600 feet above the site and for a radius of 24,420 feet around it said Warren Field a spokesman for the withdrawal operation. The ban at Clausen went into effect april 30. The ban extends about 3,900 feet above the Miessau Railhead site and for a radius of 12,210 feet around it. The weapons will be brought by truck to Miessau where they will be stored outside until they Are loaded onto trains. In another safety related measure Low level and combat training flights have been stopped in an area near the locations until the chemicals Are moved from Rheinland Pfalz. The area runs from a Point just West of Neinkirchen City limits Northeast to a Point Southeast of Glan Munchweiler East to the Eastern Side of Kaiserslautern South of autobahn 6 South to a Point Northwest of Dahn West to a Point just East of Mande Bachtal and North to the Neinkirchen Point. This area encompasses Pir Masens Wei Brincken a Miessau Lan Stuhl and Ramstein a. Officials also have imposed special restrictions on other planes that Fly in the area. Such flights need special permission from Ramstein a and must remain under control of the bases flight controllers while they Are in the area. Every Pilot in the Box also must Fly under instrument flight rules said capt. Paula Kougeas a Safe spokeswoman. Previously pilots could use less restrictive visual flight rules in the area. The restrictions took effect june 16 and will last until sept. 15. A statement issued by the press information Center for the chemical withdrawal operation cited three exceptions to the restrictions a absolutely necessary civilian air traffic. Such flights include emergency medical operations Kougeas said. A flights by military helicopters performing special missions such As search and Rescue. A essential flights of aircraft stationed in Ramstein Wei Brincken Landau and Pir Masens. To keep an Eye on the skies above Clausen the German army and air Force chemical arms loading going according to plan Eckenbach West Germany a amps a . Service members completed their first week of loading chemical munitions into secondary containers a statement said Friday. The operation a went according to plan a said the statement issued by the operations press information Center. The 155mm and 8-Inch artillery shells Are being blocked and braced in the Vapo proof containers and then loaded into military trailers that Are locked and sealed. The loaded trailers will remain at the us. Army depot near Clausen West Germany until the withdrawal operation begins sometime this summer. Munitions experts from the West German army and other experts have continuously monitored the packing of the weapons. Three medical teams with two Phy bring the packing. A medical company at Zweir fuck simians Are at the site during the Pacl in and a fire engine with six civilian firefighters Are on standby. Have a site on a Ridge near Clausen to Monitor All flights in the area. They will continue to Monitor until All the weapons have been removed from Clausen Field said. The 100,000 artillery shells filled with the chemical agents vex and Sarin Are scheduled to begin their trek sometime in july. They will be moved by truck to Miessau by train to the North sea port of nor Dunham and then by ship to the Johnston atoll in the Pacific where they will be destroyed. Exact dates and routes for the shipments have not been released As a Security precaution. The civilian Airfield at Wei Brincken will be closed while any weapons Are on the Road Between Clausen and Miessau Mandela tour revived by wild Detroit Welcome Detroit apr Nelson Mandela received a tumultuous Welcome in the nations Industrial heartland revitalizing the South african anti apartheid leaders . Tour after political leaders in Miami rebuffed him. In Florida on thursday cuban Amer ican mayors snubbed Mandela because of his support for cuban Leader Fidel Castro. But later in the Day Detroit showered Mandela with affection and at least $1.5 million to support his dream of a racially United South Africa. A we appreciate your efforts especially in this time of Industrial retrenchment. In the face of your problems and difficulties you have not forgotten us. We will never forget you a Mandela told a crowd of 49,000 at Tiger stadium. Shortly after Dawn Friday Mandela left his downtown hotel for a half hour stroll along the Detroit River which Marks the Border Between Detroit and Windsor Ontario. Flanked by police and state department Security agents he Shook hands with Well wishers and signed autographs. He wore a Detroit pistons jacket and Cap that members of the championship pro basketball team gave him thursday night. In a morning news conference before departing for los Angeles Mandela said Nelson Mandela Friday shows off his an automobile Plant in Detroit. United Auto workers Union card during a visit to the first six stops of the . Tour have a been successful beyond our wildest  he said the twin messages of ending racial separation in South Africa and continuing economic sanctions against the White minority government have been heard. Detroit was the sixth Stop on Mandela a eight City . Tour and the Only midwestern City. In a second news conference before heading for los Angeles Friday afternoon he repeated his plea for continued economic sanctions against South Africa. Weary from the Rigours of his tour Mandela 71, seemed energized by the wildly cheering crowds that greeted him in Detroit which he called a motor  a thank you for giving us your support when we need you most Quot Mandela said at Tiger stadium. A right now i wish i could climb Down from the stage and join you in the stands and embrace you one and  Mandela was freed in february after 27 years in a South african prison for plotting sabotage to overthrow the country a minority White government. In his first Stop Here Mandela donned a United Auto workers jacket and Cap As he addressed about 1,300 people at a suburban Ford motor co. Assembly Plant. Umpai ill la 1u1 iwo  . A a peace corps volunteers begin leaving Philippines. Lice. But news photographers and other witnesses a Manila Philippines apr american peace corps volunteers began leaving the country Friday a Day after soldiers wearing masks and civilian clothes fired on mourners carrying the coffin of a slam communist rebel. The attack illustrated the pattern of violence that prompted the decision to suspend peace corps operations and led the . Embassy to warn americans to take extra safety precautions. The rebels vowed to avenge the attack at the funeral in which two people were killed when officials say rebel suspects resisted arrest. A the revolutionary Justice the people demand will not go unheeded a said a statement Friday from the Manila Branch of the rebel new Peoples army. . Officials said the first of the peace corps volunteers left the Philippines for Honolulu on Friday and the rest were departing on commercial flights Over the next few Days. The 261 volunteers were ordered to leave because intelligence reports indicated the new people s army planned to kill or Kidnap them. . Ambassador Nicholas Platt said the United states planned to return volunteers As soon As possible a to continue their efforts in development in education programs Side by Side with their filipino colleagues and  . Officials said the peace corps office in Manila would remain open As a sign that the withdrawal was temporary. Office director Jim Lehman said there was no timetable for resuming operations. Us officials declined to elaborate on the alleged threat to peace corps members. Communist rebels Are believed to have killed eight americans since april 1989 but had made no Public threat against the peace cd police arrested 21 people after thursdays funeral attack and on Friday charged them with inciting sedition. Three of them identified As rebels would face additional charges police said. # police it. Col. George Alino said the shooting erupted when mourners tried to throw grenades at police. But news photographers and other witnesses said they saw no grenades. The philippine constabulary Friday appointed a Board of officers to investigate the incident. Brig. Gen. Marino Filart chief of the capital command said the authorities stood by their actions. Filart said mourners were a openly displaying their Flag and openly displaying their revolutionary intent which is against the  the funeral was for Benjamin Tabuena 42, a former member of a rebel assassination squad killed by police 3st week. Tabuena was a member of the Alex Bongcayao brigade the Manila Wing of the new Peoples army. The brigade is believed to have killed scores of police and soldiers in the capital this year. International and local human rights groups have frequently accused police and soldiers Viall c re rights in their counter insurgency Campaign despite president Corazon Aquino soft stated pledge to respect individual liberties  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade