European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 17, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 a the stars and stripes Friday August 17,1990 news briefs basques threatening to bomb 3 train routes Washingto Basque separatists have threatened to Plant explosives on three train routes in Spain the . Slate department warned. State department spokeswoman Margaret Tutwiler said american travellers in Spain should be aware of a threat against Spanish railway lines by the terrorist group Eta. The targeted lines include the Madrid Cordoba Seville Madrid Barcelona and Madrid Valladolid icon Oviedo routes. The threat which was made 11 Public aug. 13, expires at Midnight aug. 27. Quot Spanish authorities Are taking appropriate precautionary measures to protect the threatened railway lines and passengers travelling on them a Tutwiler said. These measures include offering alternative transportation. When the group issued similar warnings last year explosives damaged Railroad tracks but no one was injured. Eta is a Radical group that seeks inc pc dance for three provinces in Northern no gets 3 years for sodomy assault Kaiserslautern West Germany a amps a an army staff sergeant has been sentenced to three years in jail for sodomy and assault on another Soldier. Staff sgt. Toney m. Lacy a Patriot missile Crew member assigned to the 1st in 7th air defense arty in Kaiserslautern pleaded guilty to attempted sodomy sodomy assault and assault with intent to commit sodomy. In addition to the jail term Lacy was reduced to the lowest enlisted Grade ordered to forfeit All pay and allowances and Given a bad conduct discharge. His general court martial was held aug. 8. The charges Stem from a july 19 Barracks incident in which Lacy first fondled and kissed a fellow Soldier after plying him with Beer according to court documents. When Lacy attempted inter course the Soldier refused the documents showed. Lacy threatened the Soldier with a carving knife but the Soldier managed to flee the room and lock Lacy inside. He then called authorities Lacy who has been in the army 0 years will be jailed at fort Riley of Heidelberg no Dies when hit by train Heidelberg West Germany a the 4-year old son of an army staff sergeant was struck and killed by a West German train wednesday. Steven Westerh suffered massive head and limb injuries when he was hit by a northbound train about 7 15 . Near his Home in the St. Hilgon Section of Leiden he was pronounced dead by a West German doctor about i s minutes later a Heidelberg Community spokesman said thursday. Westerh had apparently wandered through some Hedges onto the Railroad tracks. The trains Engineer said he sounded his whistle twice before the train hit the boy. A memorial service for we Lehr Wilt be held at 7 . Friday at the Patrick Henry Village Chapel. Westerh is survived by his Mother staff sgt. Sonita m. Westerh of the 43rd signal in at Campbell Barracks and his father Paul a. Westerh a Teller at merchants Community Bank private gets jail sentence in rape of 15-year-old Kaiserslautern West Germany a amps a a 20-year-old private has been sentenced to 14 years in jail and a dishonourable discharge for the rape of a is year of girl. Pvt. 1 Jonathan b. Lee a Chaparral missile Crew member assigned to the 3rd in 44lh air defense arty in Kaiserslautern pleaded guilty to the rape charge at a general court martial on aug. 13. According to court documents Lee had met the victim in april at a High school track meet. The rape occurred on july 1 in a Ramstein Village House the Soldier was caring for while its occupants were away. Lee admitted in court documents that he forced the girl to have sex and that he knew at the time that she was 15 years old. The Soldier from Atlanta will be confined at fort Riley Kan. T a has been in the army for 20 from Page 1 to deny Iraq Access to the port at Aqaba the last remaining free waterway for the Baghdad regime. He was asked whether Hussein had offered such assurances and replied but Secretary of state James a Baker Iii said Jordan Quot is seeking some guidance about a provision in the Trade embargo that allows food for humanitarian purposes. Bush made his comments As Saddam dampened any Hopes of a diplomatic settlement. He issued a Bellicose statement threatening the United states and calling Bush a liar. The statement by a spokesman broadcast in Baghdad and carried live on american television warned that thousands of americans would be sent Home Quot wrapped in sad coffins if a military showdown occurs. Saddam a forces conquered Liny Kuwait on aug. 2, and Bush deeming them a threat to saudi Arabia and its vast Oil reserves has been pouring military forces into saudi Arabia Ever since. Hussein said he hoped the crisis a will begin to however he also said a i am not talking on behalf of anyone in the area. But in Brussels Belgium nato officials said thursday that 15 iraqi divisions now located on the iranian Border could be freed up to face . And Arab troops in saudi Arabia As a result of wednesdays loan Iraq peace initiative. The officials who met As part of the alliances political committee discussed the Impact of the iraqi peace initiative in which Saddam Hussein promised to withdraw from iranian territory and release soldiers captured during the nearly nine year loan Iraq War. A there Are 15 iraqi divisions on the iranian Border. With the right kind of agreement they could be freed up a nato source said. Quot it clearly would make a difference in their capabilities if they Don t have to defend that nato also discussed ways to take some form of coordinated action should Iraq try to close foreign embassies in Kuwait by Force. Iraq has demanded that ail foreign embassies in Kuwait be closed and moved to the iraqi capital of Baghdad by aug. 24. The demand raises questions about the safety of people work ing in the foreign missions. Nato officials see the demand As a thinly veiled Way of legitimizing iraqis takeover of Kuwait. Quot there Isnit anything the countries Here want to do to add to iraqis claim that they be taken Over Kuwait Quot the source said. The already formidable . Military buildup in the Gulf also kept growing. Pentagon sources said the Marine corps was building up to a Force of 45,000 in the mid Casl its largest deployment since the Vietnam War. The marines will join tens of thousands of army Navy and air Force troops already on the scene. A a we re there to stay for a fairly lengthy period a Gen. John Dailey assistant commandant of the Marine corps said in an associated press interview. Rep. Larry Smith d-f1a., said Bush should Send transport planes to pick up the americans who Are being kept in Kuwait and should Tell the iraqis that if there was any trouble a the president of the United states will consider it an act of a senior . Official said Iraq had constructed an air defense system around the City. Meanwhile . Fliers ground Crews in saudi Arabia said american pilots have a locked in their weapons radar on iraqi planes several times recently causing the iraqis to turn around and Fly away. Bush and Hussein met at the presidents Seaside vacation Home at walkers Point. With no expectations of any breakthrough Bush a chief objective was to press the King to shut Down iraqis food and Oil Supply route from Aqaba on the red sea. Aqaba is iraqis main outlet now in the face of an International Boycott. If Hussein fails to act Bush has indicated the . Navy will set up a barricade to Block iraqi Trade from Aqaba. The president also has offered to help offset Jordan a costs or cutting off business with Iraq after talks with Hussein Bush also was meeting with saudi arabians foreign minister Prince Saud a Faisal and the saudi ambassador to the United states Prince Bander bin Sultan. Hussein was accompanied on his trip Here by Secretary of state James a. Baker Iii who hitched a ride on the monarchs jetliner. At the helipad on the presi dents compound Bush and his wife Barbara greeted the King warmly a your majesty Welcome a Bush said "1 think you know from Page 1 . Government does not want to move troops out of Europe during the ongoing conventional forces negotiations he said. Pentagon spokesman Pete Williams said in a news conference thursday a we wont get into the business of listing specific units or specific pieces of equipment or numbers of forces that have deployed from the ii Roca n co m d. However he noted that air bases in Europe a have refuelled and provided some supplies to . Airlift units As they Are the support being offered in Europe is As detailed As sunglasses and sunscreen. Troops coming through Rhein main a West Germany Are causing cafes employees to scramble to keep shelves stocked. Quot in be got kind of a hot list that we keep reordering and getting from other stores a said Russ Tilton assistant manager of the base Exchange. Disposable razors shaving Cream postcards writing paper cigarettes toothpaste and playing cards Are just some of the items soldiers Are buying on their Way to take part in operation desert shield. The Exchange Annex near the military Airlift come terminal has been open 24 hours for lights arriving at nighttime Tilton said. The stopovers usually give the troops two to four hours at the base. Soldiers spend that time buying and Reading magazines or writing letters he said. Base officials said they were unable to comment on the number of troops or flights passing through on their Way to the Mideast. Cafes Europe is also preparing to Supply the troops once they get to saudi Arabia the Exchange service already had a troop store at Dharan a main Exchange in Riyadh a Shoppe Etc in Jid dab and a Small Annex in taif. Master sgt. Dayton Strickland of cafes Europe Headquarters in Munich West Germany said Small stores and Mobile Exchange vans arc being set up to support operations in saudi Arabia. A we will take any actions required to support an increase in activity a Strickland said. Meanwhile the United Stales has dropped out of the nato exercise a bold guard a which had been scheduled for the fall because flee Mideast crisis. Washington informed nato members that a . Marine expeditionary Force could not be present or the Maneu vers because of the american deployment m the Gulf a shape spokesman said. It was not Clear thursday if the entire Eer would be cancelled the spokesman said. Some 34.0u West German danish and american troops had been scheduled to take part in the Maneu vers in the North West german61 state of Schleswig Holstein and Den Mark. Contributing to this report it eff Riten Onuk torrent in Brule i incest Vinch in Withington Ano Stev Taylor and won Jarawan in Wail Germany Giessen howitzer unit faces inactivation Giessen West Germany a amps a a howitzer battalion from Rivers Barracks will be inactivated during the first Quarter of 1991. It. Gen. George a. Joulwan v corps commander sent a letter wednesday notifying the Hessen state government of the inactivation of the 4th in 7th Field arty in Giessen sources confirmed thursday. According to the letter the unit of 594 soldiers will be inactivated during the first Quarter of 1991. The unit is being disbanded because of troop cuts related to the intermediate Range nuclear forces treaty one source said. A Congress has directed that the number of personnel slots accountable under the inf treaty must be removed from Europe a the official said. A although the 4th in 7th Field arty was not covered by the in treaty its inactivation will pay Back some of the slots that were used to fill shortfalls in Europe West German newspapers incorrectly reported thursday that the unit was a Lance missile battalion said it. Col. Dick Bridges v corps Public affairs Lii cer. The battalion is equipped with 8-Inch howitzers which Are nuclear capable weapons. Bridges would not comment on whether the unit had a nuclear Mission. Additional information was nol available thursday
