European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 25, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 28 a a a the stars and stripes saturday August 25,1990dod expands family Center services by Chuck Vinch the centers will serve As a Point of housing child care pay allotments and the immediate families of Active duty Washington Bureau Contact for military families seeking in id cards As Well As referrals for financial members Reserve personnel activated Washington a the defense do formation about. The unit status of serv assistance a is also routinely available for duly and retirees apartment is expanding the services Avail said maj Doug Hart a defense department will not in All centers provide the services but Able from its family centers on More Pentagon spokesman. Crease funding to pay for the additional families should Call the Center on or car than 400 military bases worldwide be specific deployment information May family Center services a the centers have est the base where their a cause of operation desert shield Penta not be available immediately for All serv always had volunteers on staff and we res families of gon officials said Friday. because details May be Clas Koine to be reviving on them oct to cavi reservists on Active duty should Call the a i am pleased we can support our fam Sif cd Hart said. For desert shield the v for this Effort a Hart said Center nearest their Home Ilies during desert shield with the serv centers will help family members obtain a a a a Quot a a there Are 86 family centers in West ices of the family centers which Are in crisis counselling information on special me american Kea Gross Biso m Germany ii in the United kingdom tended to serve and answer questions sized support groups and assistance with help me Renagon of mobilizing its . None in i taif six in the Netherlands four from those who share the sacrifices of a stress related problems associated with chapters to address military family con in Belgium three each in Turkey and their loved ones a defense Secretary a major deployment a Hart said. A cents he said. Spain two in Greece and one each in Dick Cheney said in a statement. Help with personal services a such As family Center services Are available to Portugal and Iceland the Pentagon said. Meanwhile the . Aircraft Carrier Dwight d. Eisenhower and six escort ships sailed through Egypt a Suez canal on Friday in route from the red sea to the Mediterranean canal officials said. The Eisenhower apparently was relieved by the Carrier Saratoga in the red sea and May be relieved in the Mediterranean by the Carrier John f. Kennedy which left Virginia last week. The . Navy now has a total of 37 ships either in the Gulf Region or in route to it an unofficial count showed. Among them were four aircraft Carrier Battle groups and the battleship Wisconsin. Waldheim a office said he was flying to Amman on Friday for talks with Jordan a King Hussein and would travel to Baghdad on saturday for a meeting with Saddam. The austrian president has been shunned by Western leaders because of his wartime past but has maintained Friendly ties with Arab leaders including chief denies link to anti Aquino plots Manila Philippines apr defense Secretary Fidel Ramos said that renegade soldiers have tried to recruit him since 1986 to oust president Corazon Aquino but that he has turned them Down each time. Ramos appearing on a to talk show late thursday denied reports that he was involved in anti Aquino plots. Quot i am not involved. I have never been involved and 1 would like you to know that even if they were trying to involve me in previous attempts starting november 1986,1 have always resisted a the defense chief from Pago 1 governments had until 9 . To vacate the 60 embassies in Kuwait. Diplomats in Washington however said the deadline had been extended to Midnight. . Ambassador Nathaniel Howell and perhaps a dozen Othni americans were slaying at the Palm shaded american compound in Kuwait City. Concrete bar news Brief s. Africa ordering troops into warring townships Johannesburg South Africa apr the gov ire ency Friday in Black townships hit by Savage tribal fighting that has Cost a. A t a eminent imposed a state of Emir More than 500 lives and said it would pour troops and police into the areas. Law and order minister Adriaan Vlok declared Black townships around Johannesburg a unrest the action gives police widespread Powers under the internal Security Laws to detain people and to take action to suppress demonstrations and violence. The government action came As riot police Strung razor wire and fired shotguns and tear Gas Friday to keep warring zulus and a noses apart. Military reservists were called up to help Stop the fighting. Vlok also did Rcd that people in areas of unrest would not be allowed to carry a wide Range of weapons at Public meetings. The banned weapons included firearms Spears Battle axes pitchforks knives and and steel spikes had been erected earlier As Security measures at the . Embassy Complex on arabian Gulf Boulevard. White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said thursday at president Bush a summer Home in Kennebunkport Maine that . Diplomats will remain in Kuwait a was Long As there Are americans that they can most . Diplomatic personnel were evacuated thursday. Marine guards were among 33 carloads of americans who drove to the iraqi capital. In addition to the United states those countries that were ignoring iraqis shutdown order included Japan the 12 european Community nations Switzerland and Austria. The dutch ambassador to Kuwait Joop Veling was advised by his foreign ministry a not to engage in any exaggerated heroism a a government spokesman said in the Hague. Saddam claimed Kuwait As iraqi territory after his invasion and subsequent annexation of his Oil Rich Southern neighbor. Baghdad said keeping embassies open in Kuwait would amount to an a act of on thursday Saddam appeared on television with British children and other captives ruffling the hair of a boy smiling and joking. However he made it Plain that their Fate depended on the situation in the Gulf. He told about 20 adults and children they were a a guests being held a to prevent the Scourge of state department spokesman Richard Boucher denounced the to display As a shameful theater a about 3,000 americans Are among the 21,000 westerners stranded in Iraq and Kuwait. They have been detained by Saddam and threatened with being used As human Shields around possible iraqi from Pago 1 Gulf Region Perez said. The Pentagon announced thursday that about 46,700 Reserve members will be called to Active duty Over the next five weeks for operation desert shield and that most of the part time soldiers will be posted in or near saudi Arabia. Most reserves sent to help defend saudi Arabia against a possible iraqi attack wont be driving tanks or digging Foxholes. But they will tackle two of the most important tasks in desert warfare getting water and protecting against chemical attack. It s unclear whether any Reserve combat units such As the Georgia National guard unit that makes up one of three brigades in the 24th inf div Mech at fort Stewart a will be dispatched to the forbidding saudi desert. The two Active duty brigades in the 24th already Are on their Way there. Pete Williams the Pentagon press Secretary said most of the army and air Force reserves called to Active duty will be deployed to saudi Arabia. Of the Navy reserves who Are activated about half will be sent there he said. Many of the military a key skills Are held mainly by Reserve units. Among those considered most important for desert shield Are water distribution and chemical decontamination officials said. Van a Hipp jr., Deputy assistant Secretary of the army for Reserve forces and mobilization said 100 percent of the army a water purification and distribution manpower is in the reserves. In the saudi desert where temperatures in summer often top 120 degrees american service members Are drinking As much As 6 Gallons of water a Day to avoid dehydration. Water also is needed for cooking washing and other vital functions. Moreover 65 percent of the army a chemical decontamination manpower is in the reserves Hipp said. The Prospect of iraqi president Saddam Hussein ordering a Poison Gas attack on . Forces is one of the biggest concerns of troops hunkering Down in the desert. Doctors nurses and other medical personnel also Are largely in the reserves. Williams said thursday that about 9,800 part time soldiers will have been called to leave their civilian jobs by the end of August the total is expected to reach about 46,700 by oct. 1, and Williams said he could not Rule out the possibility of More reserves president Bush has the authority to Call up As Many As 200,000 reserves for up to 180 Days without declaring a National emergency. Those called to Active duly will serve 90-Day Tours but the period could be extended another 90 Days if defense Secretary Dick Cheney decides that is necessary Williams said.s&5 bookstores closed monday stars and stripes bookstores will be closed on monday for inventory. The stars and stripes newspaper will be available at alternate vending Points in your from Page 1 ters. But Many members of Congress have objected to spending $42 billion on a new helicopter program at a time when the defense budget is sharply declining and the threat from Eastern Europe has All but evaporated. In addition the la has been criticized for failing to meet is 7,500-Pound weight limit for not being agile and fast enough to catch the soviet Ka-28 attack helicopter and for failing to meet its Cost goal of $7.5 million each. Pentagon officials said the per unit Cost of the la has grow n to $9.1 million or $1.6 million Over the army a goal of $7.5 million. The nations four helicopter companies have formed two teams that Are seeking the lucrative la contract pitting Mcdonnell Douglas helicopters and Bell helicopter text Ron against Boeing ver Tol and is major weapons systems. On aug. 13, Cheney culminated a four month review of major new warship programs by announcing he would Cut the number of sea Wolf attack submarines and Arleigh Burke class destroyers to be built to save an estimated $7 billion through fiscal 1994, earlier this year Cheney completed his review of major new aircraft pro rams in april by cutting the air forces 75 billion b-2 stealth bomber program from 132 to 75 planes and Pang Back other programs Lor an estimated savings of $34 billion through the Early years of the next Century. As part of that review Cheney also Cut Back the air forces c-17 transport plane and the Navy a a-12 stealth Carrier based attack plane and delayed production of the air Force s Stealthy next generation advanced tactical fighter or at
