Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, September 19, 1990

You are currently viewing page 1 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, September 19, 1990

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 19, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                . It operation desert shield a its the St amp a Sand tripes authorized unofficial publication forthe  armed forces vol. 49, no. 158 wednesday september 19, 1990 a a Oja Good morning. D 8693 Aheren a the hit list Pentagon names 150 Sites set to close by Chuck Vlinch Washington Bureau Washington a the Pentagon on tuesday unveiled a list of 150 . Installations and facilities overseas that will be closed or Cut Back Over the next few years. Most of the Sites Are in West Germany but the Only major facilities to be completely closed Are Torrejon a Spain and in West Germany Hess Isch Oldendorf air station Lindsey air station and the Neu Ulm and bad Tolz military communities. Zaragoza a Spain and the air Force Hospital at Wiesbaden West Germany will be placed in standby status which a see list on Back Page Safe spokesman described As closed but staffed with a minimal number of people to keep them ready for contingencies. The majority of the Sites grouped at 44 graphic locations worldwide Are Small ties such As communications stations family housing areas and Barracks. A total of 127 Sites on the list will be vacated by the United states and turned Over to Host governments while . Activities at 23 bases will be scaled Down Pentagon spokesman Pete Williams said see hit list on Page 9 the air Force Hospital at Wiesbaden West Germany faces standby status in which it will be closed but still minimally  training areas housing Given priority by Deedee Arrington Doke Kaiserslautern Bureau ramste1n a West Germany a the United states opted to keep key training areas and its most Modem military housing in making the decision on which bases to close overseas the top . Commander in Europe said. In an interview Given last week but embargoed until the Pentagon a release of the base list on tuesday Gen. John r. Galvin also said that planners tried to reduce a those things that were a bother or a Ruby for Host nations. A first of All of course we have to carry out our Mission. But there a much More than that to it a Galvin said. A everything influenced our  giving West Germany As an example he said a we did our very Best to take All the German desires into account. I think we succeeded in 99 out of 100  . Officials chose to move out of leased housing areas first a so that we can retain that housing that we have better control of and the housing that has been modernized a Galvin said. Some units will consolidate under the plan which involves closures or reductions at More than 100 facilities in Europe within the next two to three years. Equipment will head in several directions Back to the United states into storage for War reserves and to other nato nations. Some will be destroyed he said. Galvin said it is impossible to put a Dollar value on the property that will be returned but that the United states Hopes to recoup some of the improvements it has made during the postwar Era. Close out costs May involve environmental studies and taking care of environmental problems caused by . Use of the facilities. Decisions on Severance pay retraining and pensions for local National employees a remain to be seen a said Galvin an army four Star who also serves As natos Gen. John r. Galvin european commander. A and it May not be the americans. That provide this but Host  the soviet Union and the United states agreed earlier this year to a maximum of 225,000 . Troops in Western Europe and 195,000 soviet troops in Eastern Europe. Last week however Secretary of state James Baker said the question of actual . Troop strength in Europe is still a up in the air because of unilateral soviet with drawls from Eastern Europe. Reflecting on a soviet proposal to Cut the . Presence in Europe to a maximum of 80,000 troops Gal Vin said he believes More Are needed to maintain an adequate Forward deployed Force and to set an example for the other nato countries. A i think we could not provide with 70,000 to 80,000, the kind of Force Structure that i would contemplate As a minimum level. And so i Hope we do not arrive at those kinds of figures a Galvin said. He said the persian Gulf crisis has spotlighted the need for . Forward stationing overseas. A we Are not Able to do this magnificent move All the Way from the United states to saudi Arabia just because we have an Airlift capability a Galvin said. A a we re Able to do this because we have friends because we have allies. We Are Forward based with them. We Are living with them. And we Are contributing to their Security and they know it. A but if we sat Back in fortress America and thought that we somehow were going to have a network of bases and friends and help All Over the world we would be absolutely wrong. And those who think that would be  the future Galvin predicted will be a the age of the missile. Even the infantryman in the foxhole has a missile to fire at a  High mobility and High striking Power will be crucial for the smaller military units of tomorrow he said. A a we re going to be smaller a he said a but the terrain is going to be just As big As it Ever  to Host �?T96 summer olympics a Page 21  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade