European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 21, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Operation desert shield authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed Forcer vol. 49, no. 160 Friday september 21, 1990 a a 25 daily and sunday Good morn in d 8693 a Iraq asks networks to air message by the associated press Iraq thursday asked . Networks to broadcast a videotaped message by Saddam Hussein to the american Needle and International efforts to further isolate Iraq moved ahead at the United nations and the asian games. Organizers of the asian games thursday banned Iraq from the sports Competition which begins saturday in Beijing. The push for an air embargo Gamst Iraq has gathered momentum with an agreement by the five key . Security Council members to limit cargo flights into Iraq to those carrying Medicine and humanitarian food Aid. The United nations has already imposed a naval embargo and there has been Broad support for the .-led multinational Force assembled in saudi Arabia. Hundreds of French soldiers gathered in Southern France thursday to begin a four Day sea lift to join the Force. The iraqi president thursday was quoted As saying Iraq could hold out for a five or six years against the Trade embargo. The newspaper Mill yet of Istanbul Turkey quoted Saddam As saying Iraq a knows that America is the no. 1 superpower in the world. But we also Are confident that we can Hurt in other developments thursday a a . Newspaper said president Bush is planning a morale boosting thanksgiving trip to gis in saudi Arabia. White House officials said they could not confirm the report in the Long Island newspaper new Day which quoted unidentified administration officials. The White House said Bush wants to visit . Forces serving in the persian Gulf soon but refused to publicly announce the dates for the trip. A we have no plans that we can announce at this time a White House Deputy press Secretary roman Popadiuk said. A natos top official chided the Western allies for not sending More ground forces and other assistance to the persian Gulf Region to support the huge american military let me clearly state my personal opinion a that some allies could and should do More a said Manfred Wimer Secretary general of the 16-nation Alliance. Of nato members Only France and Britain have answered the . Call to Send ground troops to the Gulf Force. Iraqis information minister was quoted As saying see message on Back Page after months of rumours Bomberg unit gets to face the bad news head on Angela Mozingo 10, holds a mini old glory adorned with a yellow ribbon after bidding Farewell to her persian Gulf bound father sgt. Howard Mozingo at Rhein main a West Germany. Waiting with her Are her Moth Bye Bye daddy a amps Gus Schuettler or Cynthia and Jennifer Angela s 6-Vear-old sister. The sergeant and others in the 158th aviation regt a 8th aviation in from Hanau were deployed to join operation desert shield on wednesday night. Story Page 9. By Effie Bathen Nymberg Bureau Bamberg West Germany a when the soldiers of the 4th in 14th Field arty regt made formation tuesday afternoon they knew what they were going to hear. The rumours had been flying for months about what units were going to be deactivated in the . Draw Down in Germany. Peace was breaking out and they knew it. Eight Inch howitzers like the ones in their unit take a Long Chain of support. Maybe too Long in today a army. They knew that too. So when the battalion commander it. Col. Gary Morgan told them that their unit would be deactivated March 1, there was a sense of Relief according to Many. A a it a saluting time and time to get on with it a Morgan said thursday at his Headquarters in Warner Barracks. When staff sgt. Augustus Ortega told his wife he hedged a bit along the lines of a what if we had to return to the states a but As the supervisor of the units personnel administration Center he said most wives know that getting orders is just part of army life. Its not a Good time for his budget because he just bought a new car. And one of his daughters is in High school. She took the news kind of hard. Getting the word Means that soldiers can now Start with the new Mission of putting equipment and paperwork in order. Soldiers who have 18 months or More to go on their tour March 1 will probably have the option to Transfer within the theater. Maybe even in the Bamberg Community Ortega said. But not to the 6th in 6th inf. That 1st army div unit will be leaving Bamberg on May 1. Soldiers with less time remaining will go Back to the United states. Their stateside assignment centers will say where they go next. It depends on their skills and the needs of the army Ortega said. He expects More detailed instructions about the deactivation As the draw Down takes place. A the army has experience with draw Downs a commander Morgan said. Just to make sure things go smoothly the Community will hold a town Hall meeting in a few weeks. Morgan wants to find out what questions Haven to been asked yet so he can find a Way to answer them he said. A a it a cutting our plans Short a said Jan Nolte an army wife who works As a Teller at the Community Bank. A a we be been Here six years and we re in fact the notes a just spent a couple of thousand dollars to visit Back in the their children Ages 11 and 8, grew up in Bamberg. She said the hardest Eart about the order is that she might ave to quit her Job. Her husband might try to get re assigned to another unit in the area but there a no guarantee the new unit wont be deactivated in the next Cut. Her co worker Sara Lickliter is in the continued on Page 3 Cheney oks danger pay for troops in Mideast the Gulf of subsistence allowance which can total hundreds it by Chuck Vinch Washington Bureau Washington a defense Secretary Dick Cheney on wednesday approved special supplemental pay for All . Troops involved in operation desert shield i the Middle East. A this is an appropriate step Given the risks they face and the harsh conditions in which they serve Cheney said in a statement. The special pay known As imminent danger pay totals $110 per month for All personnel regardless of rank. The pay applies to service members anywhere on the saudi arabian Peninsula As Well As aboard ships patrolling the persian Gulf the red sea the Gulf of Oman the Gulf of Aden and the Northern arabian sea. The pay change will Cost the Pentagon about $16.5 million a month based on the estimated Force of 150,000 now serving in the Middle East. Some of those locations already have been designated As areas in which service members can receive the imminent danger pay. Pentagon officials said the move was not triggered by any change in the situation in the Region. Rather Cheney took the action because a sizable number of military families Are suffering from the loss of their subsistence allowance which can total hundreds of dollars a month a Pentagon spokesman said. That allowance meant to cover the Cost of food for personnel living off base is Cut off when service Mem ers deploy for military operations. Extending imminent danger pay to troops in the Middle East is a Way to help Cushion the blow for those families the spokesman said. Cheney has the authority to Grant the pay to any members of the armed forces serving in specified a High risk areas. Troops taking part in the invasion of Panama last year qualified for imminent danger pay for example
