European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - October 3, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Wednesday october 3, 1990 the stars and stripes a a a Page 7delta ii puts Nav Star satellite in orbit a Delta ii rocket blasts of monday from Cape canaveral Fla., carrying a $65 million Nav Star satellite into orbit More than 12,000 Miles above Earth. A Cape canaveral Fla. Apr the air Force has added a ninth navigation satellite to an orbiting network that is capable of pinpointing . Military units anywhere in the world to within 50 feet. A Delta ii rocket blasted off with the $65 million Nav Star satellite at 5 56 . Monday. About 25 minutes later the satellite separated from the Booster and settled in orbit 12,532 Miles above Earth. A everything appears to have gone Well a said air Force it. Col. Jim Jannette. Two launch attempts late last week were delayed by bad weather. The 3,675-Pound satellite is part of a series of advanced global positioning system spacecraft that Are designed to guide warplanes ships and other military Craft with extreme accuracy. The first Nav Star was launched in february 1989. Fifteen More Nav Star satellites Are scheduled to be launched by Early 1993 under the $8.5 billion program. Three will serve As spares. The satellites which have a working lifetime of Ivi years keep track of the Speed of vehicles on land sea or air to within a fraction of a mile per hour. Inside each is an atomic clock with an error rate of one second every 300,000 years. The spacecraft can pinpoint locations within 50 feet in any weather anywhere in the world a in some locations within 10 feet. Military personnel use receivers As Small As telephones to tune into the network. Seven earlier less sophisticated satellites still Are functioning pay As you Spray scheme jolts Miami ans Miami apr there has been a flood of criticism of a a pay As you Spray plan to activate the City a Claude and Mildred Pepper Fountain with credit cards but the City seems ready to try the idea. The City says it can to afford to spend the $42 an hour or so it costs to run the $3.2 million Fountain whose computer controlled water jets Are designed to mimic the sea. The answer some say is to install a machine like a Bank a automatic Teller and let visitors pay to see the huge Fountain in action. The City commissioners Are considering the plan As a sort of user fee to save tax dollars. As it stands no Money is budgeted in the tight fiscal year that started monday to run the Fountain which is named after the late Miami congressman and his wife. City manager Cesar Odio said his $269 million budget simply can to spare the $370,000 a year it would Cost to keep the Fountain running. A we can Only afford to run it about two minutes a Day a he quipped. The City is in the midst of its worst financial squeeze in at least 10 years. So Why not let those who want to Muse before the mists pay for the pleasure a i done to see anything negative about it a said commissioner . Plummer. The Fountain at Bayfront Park in the heart of the tourist District was switched on in july and runs just a few hours a Day. The rest of the time it sits Idle its empty Moat attracting Young skateboarders. A electrical contracting firm whose principals Are Active in civic affairs suggested the credit card scheme. A i hate to see the City of Miami get a Black Eye Over this a said Paco Farach the president of the company Edd Helms electrical contracting inc. A the credit card thing is an interim solution to attract attention and create initial Farach says the company would guarantee to run the Fountain at least 3,000 hours during the next three years at a Cost of about $150,000. And it has offered $10,000 to Start a corporate sponsorship program that would allow the credit card machine to offer discounts to employees of companies that sign up As sponsors. He envisions a machine that would take visa american express and Mastercard cards. The concept would have greatly disturbed the late Isamu Noguchi said Shoji Sadao the architect who worked with the sculptor on the Fountain. A a he a be very upset and very disappointed and just completely discouraged a said Sadao. A it certainly is a last resort. A if i had my Choice i would not want to have something that a for the Public having to be funded by private citizens. But if it gets Down to either that Way or no Fountain at All then id have to go with that one fan of the Fountain is Bryn Mckim a recent transplant from Oregon who said she loves to spend her lunch hour in the Sun Reading next to the Spray. A sure id use an atm machine a Mckim said. A a in be never heard of anything like that before. But hey you have to try new pointing to the dry Fountain Mckim said a like that it looks like a meteor struck the Jeff Homer whose nearby office building faces the Fountain disagrees. A it seems Tacky a Homer said of the credit card plan. A if they found All that Money to build this they should be Able to find the Money to keep it submarine Yard lays off 582, says More jobs May be los Ford announces 373,200 recalls warranty action Detroit up a Ford motor co. Announced monday a series of recalls and a warranty action involving about 607,200 cars and Light first recall involves about 1,200 1990-Model Taurus police cars to replace heavy duty steel wheels that May be cracked. Ford is also recalling about 144,000 1989 and 1990-Model Bronco and of series a super cab trucks with tip slide seats to repair or reinforce the floor pan underneath the front seats. The third action involves the recall of about 228,000 l�86-Model thunderbird Cougar Mustang Capri Ltd and Marquis cars equipped with 3.8-liter v6 engines to fix unacceptably High hydrocarbon and Carbon monoxide emission Levels. Ford is extending the warranty on about 234,000 1986 and 1987-Model Ranger and Bronco ii trucks with manual transmissions because a defective shift lever housing May fracture under hard use. Groton Conn. Up a the nations major builder of submarines monday announced the Layoff of 582 workers and warned that More Job reductions May occur next month because of cuts in defense spending. The layoffs were less than the 4 percent to 5 percent forecast sept. 12 by the electric boat division of general dynamics corp. The cutback in the company a work Force of 23,000 included 415 salaried employees and 167 hourly workers. They were Given 60-Day notices said spokesman Neil Ruenzel. A the actual figure is somewhat less then expected As a result of attrition and a hiring freeze implemented earlier this year a he said. Ruenzel warned however that further layoffs could be ordered in november depending on the final form of the governments defense budget for the fiscal year that began monday. Electric boat is the sole builder of the Navy strident submarines. However defense Secretary Dick Cheney earlier this year halted the planned production of one of two Trident. Electric boat also has a contract to build the prototype of the sea Wolf the nations next generation submarine. The shipyards Job reductions came on the heels of a budget settlement Between president Bush and Congress that Calls for military cuts of $10 billion in the next year and up to $180 billion in five years. Ruenzel said the company has set up meetings to provide the Laid off workers with specific services benefits and options available. A an array of services has been put in place to provide them with the support and skills need to find new jobs a said Ruenzel
