Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, March 17, 1991

You are currently viewing page 4 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, March 17, 1991

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 17, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 4 b the stars and stripes sunday March 17, 1991 in the Gulf doctors find Iraq s health system in chaos Amman Jordan apr iraqis health system has almost completely broken Down with Baghdad hospitals working at no More than 10 percent of capacity according to european doctors returning from a fac finding Mission. Although viral diseases Are rampant there Are no reported cases of cholera said two physicians from doctors without Borders a humanitarian group. That disease had been feared because of unsanitary water conditions from the destruction of Allied bombing. The doctors who arrived in Amman on Friday said they did not personally witness any deaths but that it was apparent people Are dying because of the wrecked health system. A a it a Clear that people Are dying because services Are minimal a said or. Jacques de Milliano director of the group in the Netherlands at a news conference in Amman. A we were struck by the breakdown of services in those hospitals a said de Milliano one of four doctors who spent six Days in Iraq to assess its medical needs. A hospitals at this moment arc Only working at about 5 percent of their capacity a a 5 or la  the doctors said that meant Only 5 to 10 percent of Hospital Beds were in use. A a in a sure that if conditions done to improve in the coming weeks that we will have a severe increase in the death rate a said de Milliano. Or. Reginald Moreels who also spoke at the news conference said iraqi officials had agreed to allow doctors without Borders to work in the country to distribute medical supplies and fuel for health care needs. They said that while in Iraq they visited six civilian hospitals in Baghdad and a health Center in fal Lujah. There were severe shortages of drugs surgical and medical supplies water heat and electricity in the facilities the doctors said. In addition to the Lack of supplies and services shortage of transportation makes it difficult for people to reach a Hospital said Moreels and de Milliano. Kuwait promises it will find punish those who attacked palestinians Kuwait City up . Ambassador Edward Gnehm said the kuwaiti government has assured him that those responsible for beating palestinians suspected of collaborating with iraqi troops will be punished. Gnehm said Friday that kuwaiti and american authorities Are examining reports of the postwar violence which he attributed to Independent groups in the newly liberated emirate. A i think there is something definitely going on but it is. Not from the government a Gnehm said in an interview at the . Embassy. A i think there Are elements out there taking actions on their  although the ambassador refused to speculate How Many palestinians have been assaulted he said Quot i think it is limited. Every incident is bad but it is not sex  he also said he was aware of no deaths. Some palestinians claim kuwaiti police Are beating and jailing them under false accusations of collaborating. With iraqi troops during Baghdad a seven month occupation of the Oil emirate. In recent Days there have been a growing number of published reports about palestinians being picked up and abused. Some palestinians say Brothers and Sisters have been missing for Days. A the reports have definitely been exaggerated a Gnehm said. A that has been the nature of things Here for months. The rumours. There Are no phones no communications so stories seem to feed on  but he said a i think there Are enough first hand reports to indicate that these things Are  he said a the government is trying to go after those responsible and that private citizens Are alerting authorities of suspected acts of violence against palestinians. Palestinians argue they have been falsely accused of assisting the enemy during occupation but Western sources have said that the government plans to eventually hold open trials of those that it can formally charge. Brothers reunited in Gulf life reflects Art like their military forebears three servicemen Ibers show the fatigue of War w Hile returning to Atlanta from the Middle East. During a Layover in Philadelphia the three rested under a mural of George Washington s troops at Valley forge. They Are from left staff sgt. Scott Richards capt. Susan Spurlin and master sgt. Stewart Shannonhouse. / Manila Philippines up a a filipino doctor serving with a philippine medical team in the persian Gulf had an unexpected reunion after 2.5 years with his brother a . Army reservist assigned in saudi Arabia the physician said Friday. Or. Inocencio Roballo one of about 200 medical personnel sent by the Philippines to the Gulf said he was reunited with his older brother Clino on new years Day in Dhahran. The two Brothers met again at the close of the War he said. Inocencio who was among the first Batch of 49 medical volunteers to return to Manila told reporters at the Airport a mend told him of another filipino doctor in saudi Arabia witly the same name. Lie later found out that the doctor was Mehno 50, his older brother who had left the Philippines in 1965 and has acquired american citizenship. Clino a surgeon assigned at  in san Antonio was called to Active duty in the Gulf and was assigned to the . 5th military ambulatory support group near the Iraq saudi Border his brother said. A what a place to meet my brother Quot said Inocencio who was assigned to the King fahd Hospital in Dhahran. A we were both excited and scared the first time we Ever saw each other. But after the War we saw each other again and we were Happy we both survived the crisis. We were fortunate and proud that we have served our countries a he added. President Corazon Aquino met with volunteers at her Palace and thanked them for their services. San Jose Calif. Apr a 59-year-old army reservist who had hoped to a serve with his grandson in the persian Gulf returned Home last week after getting no farther than a Georgia military classroom. Quot Richard Martinez a sergeant major who has been in the army reserves 40 years was ordered to report to Active duty on feb. 8. The 6-week persian Gulf War ended less than three weeks later. His eagerness to serve on the front lines made headlines. His 19-year-old grandson Richard Guevara is an army Reserve mortician serving in the persian  serving i never even got to talk to him said Martinez who was greeted by a dozen relatives on his arrival wednes Day at san Jose International Airport from fort Gordon a. Quot Weaver told we could go to saudi. Arabia at any tune Martinez said. A a every Day we thought this could be the Day we go.�?�. 1 Hough he volunteered twice to serve in the Gulf Martinez said he spent most of his time in classrooms at the base. His orders never came but he was Able to help the younger reservists in his troop he said. They left jobs and their families behind and some of the Guys were pretty upset about that a he said. A i a de to them and it was an inspiration for them to see someone my age serving  his family including his wife 12 children 37 grand Auldren and four great grandchildren planned a get together to celebrate his Homecoming. A Frimu i Mez who has never scan combat plans to retire from the military in september  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade