Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, June 18, 1991

You are currently viewing page 11 of: European Stars and Stripes Tuesday, June 18, 1991

     European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - June 18, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 10. B the stars and stripes tuesday june 18, 1991agency from Page 1 Den among legitimate scrap material in the Back of the truck. By burying them under scrap the usable goods apparently escaped the scrutiny of facility employees who screen materials brought in for disposal. A its a situation that Wiltfang believes is not uncommon in Light of military units deactivating throughout Europe. The defense logistics Agency the re utilization offices Parent organization decided after a preliminary review that there was a no criminal intent a involved in the january incident said spokesman Fred Otto Egeler. But because of Wiltfang a complaint he noted that demo has instructed its screener to look More closely at items being turned in for scrap. A a they re not going to Paw through it a said James e. Walton the Kaiserslautern facility a property disposal officers. A but its our intent to keep usable items As usable and scrap As  turn in procedures at the a utilization facility for usable goods Call for separate forms 1348-1 on like items. For instance if a unit turns in seven rakes five axes and six tire jacks three forms must be turned in one for each different Type of item. A truckload of scrap Only requires one form 1348-1 that identifies the turn in As a truckload of scrap. The process to turn in scrap items at demo is simple. People first go to the facility a scrap office with their form 1348-1. Receivers then look at the truckloads and direct them to the appropriate scrap pile  As for Light Metal heavy Metal or appliances Egeler said. Wiltfang wrote Down the name of the unit the 197th Ord in from the truck that had brought in the items. But the 197th was Only providing transportation assistance for five units in the 59th Ord brigades 3rd Ord in which were deactivating at the time. The units own vehicles had been turned in by dec. 15, said Millie Waters a . Army in Europe spokeswoman. The five units were the battalions he co the 110th my co 330th Ord co 98th chemical det and the 763rd medical det. They deactivated feb. 15. Four other units in the 3rd Ord in. Were transferred elsewhere last october. A the unit is not required to keep paperwork on disposal of  expendable items under department of the army pamphlet 710-2-1. All documents related to expendable items were destroyed when the units inactivated. Normal disposal procedure at demo for items valued at under $500 is to a Batch lot them. That Means putting similar items together  As Garden tools or Auto parts. They then Are sold by lot usually at auction or sometimes at the or Mon a retail sales Section. Egeler said the Agency would not provide the stars and stripes with the document. Finding their copy of the paperwork that accompanied the units drop off demo authorities said would be like looking for a a Needle in a Haystack because the 59th Ord brigade could not provide a document number since the Bri a. A. A is amps Lynda Davidson chief warrant officer 3 Dave  left and chief warrant officer 2 Guy Wiltfang sift through a dumpster. Gadess copy of the paperwork had been destroyed. Jim Boyle a Usa eur spokesman speaking on behalf of the 59th, said that the matter would not be pursued because the defense logistics Agency had determined there was no criminal intent involved. A of course we re concerned a Boyle said. All four units checked with other units in their immediate area to see whether the equipment to be disposed of was needed there Boyle said. A there were no takers a Boyle said. They then checked with the 593rd Supply and service co in Kaiserslautern which served As the next turn in Point for 3rd Ord in supplies. The Supply and service activity did not accept the items  As those that Wiltfang saw because the units already had classified them As a expendable and unserviceable a Waters said. The units themselves Are allowed to make that classification Waters said. If the Supply and service activity wont accept items As in this Case a the 593rd then would simply have checked the paperwork and authorized the unit to take the materials on to demo for final disposition a Waters said. The 59th Ord brigades procedures for disposing of expendable items  As the tools require inactivating units to turn them in to the appropriate Supply and service activity. If it is excess equipment then procedures Call Only for a a disposal at the re utilization facility. Wiltfang assigned to the 611th Ord co at Miessau frequently visits demo to forage for tools and items like Brake shoes. A a demo is a fantastic place a Wiltfang said. A anything you can imagine is Down there. I done to care what it is they be got it. Why requisition something when you can go Down and get it for free a and Wiltfang returned to the re utilization facility with other soldiers from his unit to retrieve what usable tools he could the Day after he saw the tools dumped into the scrap pile. Most apparently had already been removed by contractors who buy the scrap. But Wiltfang and his group dug out of dumpsters two Yard Forks 12 axes chains and rakes for their units use. He said he was not surprised that authorities had decided not to pursue the matter but he expects similar situations to continue a simply because of the draw Down. I expect them to make an honest Effort. But if they had 100 inspectors some of its going to slip through the cracks because somebody does no to want to work on a saturday or  when he leaves the facility after a foraging trip the Orange county calif., native goes with a a heavy heart a he wrote in a letter to the stars and stripes. A to what has been turned in should disgust anyone who cares about what happens to our resources. Here is a Case of fraud wasteland Abuseif Ever saw one.�?�vm1 from Page 1 and Federal funding violates the 14th amendments equal Protection clause and the civil rights act. But . District judge Jackson Kiser ruled that the admissions policy is constitutional and that the institution adds diversity to Virginia a system of higher education. A it has set its Eye on the citizen Soldier and never veered from the path it has chosen to meet that goal a Kiser said in a ruling released at the . District court in Roanoke. A a Vii truly marches to the beat of a different drummer and i will permit it to continue to do  Kiser filed the ruling Friday in Danville 80 Miles Southeast of Roanoke where a six Day trial was held in april and notified attorneys monday. The judge has said he anticipates the . Supreme court will eventually decide the Case. Vii a school of 1,300 cadets in the Small Shenandoah Valley town of Lexington and the Citadel in Charleston s.c., Are the Only All male state supported military colleges. Officials at the Citadel had no immediate comment on the ruling. Justice department spokeswoman Amy Casner said she had heard of the ruling but would have no comment until lawyers review it. Robert Patterson another attorney for the College said his Legal team had been optimistic the College would prevail because a the facts and the Law were on the Side of  a this has never been a male female Issue a Patterson said by Telephone from Durham . A the decision should not be viewed in any sense As a Victory for one sex Over  from Page 1 use of airfields impossible. The blasts a and the huge reductions in the . Military Community a have raised uncertainties Over the future of the bases. A few americans returned to Clark which was abandoned at the height of saturdays eruptions and reported Ash 6 to 12 inches deep no electricity and some looting. But the weapons storage areas were undamaged and secured officials said. Over the weekend More than 100,000 filipinos fled the Rice producing Region of Central Luzon Island some trekking though knee deep Ash or squeezing aboard the few buses leaving the area. Thousands of cars buses and trucks most of them caked with Sticky Ash were crawling along jammed roads toward Manila 50 Miles South of the Volcano. In the capital and other cities thousands of refugees were housed. In makeshift shelters in schools sports stadiums and churches. President Corazon Aquino declared a a state of calamity in five More towns on monday bringing to eight the number of communities under the decree which qualifies them for emergency government funds. Late last week some experts had warned of a cataclysmic explosion in which Pinatubo could blow itself apart. But on monday seismologists said that danger May have passed because of the heavy weekend release of  from Page 1 trip mostly in California. He also was stopping in Milwaukee for a fund Raiser for sen. Bob Kasten. While declining to discuss the soviet leaders comments he said Gorbachev was responding to suggestions Bush offered in a recent letter. Whie most of the major issues have been resolved a handful of technical issues has delayed completion of a pact. The remaining problems include issues  As monitoring at missile plants exchanges of information from missile tests and definitions of new types of ballistic missiles. Bush said the two sides still need to make Progress on How much Light test data can be electronically concealed from the other Side through encryption methods. A we can to Duck that. We done to want to mislead the United states Congress and there a no Point in suggesting there a not a problem when there is. That a one we have to make real Progress on and they know it. A a that a one of the remaining issues frankly a he said. The presidents National Security adviser Brent scow Croft said the United states had proposed a new formula on the problem and that the soviets said they would study it. A so we done to know where we Are there a he said. Bush indicated he was willing to see Gorbachev even before the All the technical language of a treaty is completed. A a a we la have a meeting without having every t crossed and and every i dotted on a treaty a he said. Bush said he was holding dates open at the end of june and the end of july for a Summit with Gorbachev. Administration officials say a june meeting is unlikely but Bush said it was possible  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade