Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, February 19, 1986

You are currently viewing page 29 of: European Stars and Stripes Wednesday, February 19, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 19, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Inside stripes d Navy actively pursuing deserting sailors Page 5 d scouts of 4 nations have get together. Page 8 Thea Bisof Ira investing pages 13-16 author info unofficial  . Armed fokci1vol. 44, no. 306 wednesday february 19, 19mt 1 in room sumo d 8693 a tylenol maker drops capsules new York not Johnson & Johnson Mol no discontinued the manufacture and Sale of nil its Ovit counter medications in capsule form to prevent the tampering that recently killed a woman who look . Laced capsules of extra strength tylenol. Earlier Story pge4. The company also offered at its expense to replace about 15 million packages of its capsule products in stores and Homes across the nation with caplets which Are Oval shaped tablets coated to make them easier to Swallow. It said it hoped to rebuild the lost capsule mar Ket in less tamper prone caplets and tablets. Caplets Are tamper resistant because they arc solid and the addition of cyanide would break Down the medi Cine company officials said. The pharmaceutical concern which markets scores of products and had sales of $6.4 billion last year Esti mated that its withdrawal from capsules would Cost $100 million to is so million. This will include the expenses of replacing six kinds of capsules already on the Market and of retooling its plants As Well As other costs in trying to rebuild its Market position. We feel the company can no longer guarantee the safety of capsules to a degree consistent with Johnson & Johnson s standards of responsibility to its Consumers James e. Burke chairman of Johnson & Johnson said at a mid afternoon news conference at the company s Headquarters in new Brunswick . While this decision is a financial Burden to us it does not begin to compare to the loss suffered by the family and friends of Diane Elsroth Burke said his voice quivering As he referred to the woman who died. He said see tylenol on Page 28 storms continue to plague West coast by the associated press Waves of storms rolling in monday off the Pacific Ocean continued drenching California with at least two people dead and three missing in floods mudslides an battering surf. National guardsmen helped sandbag Homes As hundreds fled to higher ground. Heavy Snow and wind across the mountains of the West created avalanches that closed several highways More than a foot of rain had fallen at some Points since the Pacific storms began last week up to 8 feet of Snow had fallen on some mountains and wind exceeded Hurricane Force with gusts to 100 Mph in the Sierra Nevada and stronger in Colorado. They re talking about three weather fronts coming in in the next 36 hours dumping something like an Inch Ofrain every three hours Tehama county sheriffs sgt. Ron Nelson said in red Bluff on  Sacramento River. The Napa county cities of Napa and Yountville were flooded monday and authorities evacuated about 100people near the Napa River undersheriff Arthur Thompson said. Sections of . 101, a major North South Highway were closed by flooding and mudslides in Northern Cali fornia and Oregon along with other highways near the coast. In hard hit Guerneville the russian River was 10 feet above flood stage flooding Homes vehicles and farms. In the Santa Cruz county town of Boulder Creek where a woman was missing after a mudslide destroyed her Home the ground was too unstable for a search sheriffs it. Jim Bonar said. Up to 15,000 people were still without electricity monday Pacific Gas and electric co. Spokeswoman Faith Kramer said. Three to 6 inches of rain had fallen on Napa Sonom and Lake counties North of san Francisco in a 24-hour period the weather service said. Since wednesday 15.3 inches had fallen at Johnson ranch in the Santa Cruz see storms on Page 28 a photo wind blown surf from a huge wave obscures san Francisco s Golden Gate Bridge As storms Batter the West coast. Habib reportedly reassures Marcos gets earful in meeting with Aquino Manila Philippines not Amer ican envoy Philip c. Habib met separately monday with president Ferdinand e. Mar cos and Corazon c. Aquino reportedly Tell ing both that he is Here Only to gather information in the aftermath of the presidential election. Photo Page 3. Habib had no Public comment after the meetings. After what Malac Anang Palace said was a two hour meeting monday morning Marcos was quoted in an official release As saying Habib asserted that the United states was not interested in any Way in telling us How to run our  in what was described As a 55-minute meeting in the afternoon a source said Aquino gave Habib an earful telling him that she would accept nothing less than the removal of Marcos from office. Habib also met with the archbishop of Manila Cardinal Jaime sin who said we talked about Angels and with Jose Conception jr., the director of name Rel a citizens poll watching group that has disputed Marcos assertion that he won the feb. 7 election. In another development the presiden tial Palace announced that the retirement of the armed forces chief of staff  c. Var would take effect March i and that ver s Deputy it. Gen. Fidel v. Ramos would take Over As acting chief of staff on that Day. Marcos announced sunday that ver would retire and be replaced by Ramos but he was vague about the Date. The United states which regards ver As an obstacle to improving the philippine armed forces has been pressing for his retirement since last autumn. A group of Reform minded military offi cers issued an Appeal monday to soldiers not to use Force against innocent and Freedom Loving filipinos in any situations that might arise after the election. The officers supported Aquino s Conten Tion and that of the roman Catholic Church that there were serious indications that the people s will had been thwarted by fraud terrorism and murder. Habib arrived saturday night two hours before the National Assembly pro claimed Marcos the Winner of the disputed election. Habib is to spend about 10 Days in the Philippines. His Mission As a special see Habib on Page 28 soviet Captain argued about abandoning ship Wellington new zealand up the Captain of a soviet luxury liner Sev eral limes refused to order the More than 700 people aboard Many of them elderly australians to abandon his ship As it Sank off the coast of new zealand officials said monday. Officials said the Captain of the Mikhail la Ronlov refused help three times before ordering the 740 passengers and Crew Mem Bers to abandon ship. They said the Captain argued with the new zealand Harbor Mas Ter capt. Don Jamieson who was on the Ridge Over the extent of the damage apparently in the Hope that he could Beach the ship. The Mikhail Lermontov slammed into see ship on Page 28  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade