European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 24, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 a me the stars and stripes monday february 24,1986 Ca Wornia flood victims wonder what s left Beale fab Calif. Not a tense and somber mood has settled Over refugees from thursday night s break in a levee on the Yuba River which sent 26,000people fleeing their flooded Homes in Linda and Olivehurst near Here. Nearly 5,000 refugees Are waiting in makeshift evacuation centers at Balc fab to Sec when they can go Home and what they have logo Home to. Most arc not optimistic. Jean Sacaton and Shirley Kelley both widows in their 60s who live near each other in Olivehurst sobbed As they recalled the Rush to leave their Homes after news reports had reassured them that the levees were holding. According to Kelley a Veteran of the devastating Yuba City flood that took 54 lives in 1955, a bulletin during the 6 . Television news said that the levee had Given Way but that Olive Hurst was not in danger. Then suddenly everyone was running for their cars she said. Everything was of and then Boom said Dolores Cordova of Linda. Warned that something was wrong by a neighbor Cordova said she grabbed her children and fled forgetting the family dog Bullet in her panic. But officials said the levees had been carefully monitored and evacuation procedures were started about 10minutes after the break. I Don t think any recriminations Are in order said Bruce Larock a civil Engineer at the University of California Campus in Davis. He said that a relatively Little thing such As tree roots or a Gopher could be the Start of a levee break and once a Gap is established it will grow very no one knows Why it broke but it s something we will look into said Joseph d. Countryman chief of the civil design Branch of the army corps of engineers Sacramento District which built the levee. This particular levee was a Good solid substantial levee that had withstood a lot of flood flows while in service Over 30 Sylvia Rodriguez a Junior at Lindhurst High school in Olivehurst was watching Over younger Brothers and Sis ters saturday and worrying about the Long Range consequences of the flood. She said her father a farm labourer inthe peach and Almond Groves that support the area s econ omy told the family that the acres of Trees May be s talking about going to Oregon to try to find work she said. Meanwhile evacuees were crowding around radios and sharing newspapers to gather information. Donna Little saw an Aerial photograph of the Street her Home stood on in Linda. It s just gone she said. California from Page 1 150-foot Gap was plugged saturday and about 13,000 people were allowed to return Home saturday. The body of a 61-year-old Man was found in a car saturday and police said he apparently died after trying to flee the flood. We re stemming the break quite Well said Yuba county sheriff Dennis Moore. For All intents and purposes the break is closed completed. The Rock is in place but there is still some but Between that flood area and Sacra mento about 400 people were evacuate saturday at the town of Robbins along the Feather River after another levee devel oped a 400-foot bulge and started leaking. Tom Mullins a spokesman for the state office of emergency services said the bulge grew from about 100 feet Long to 400 feet and water gushed through into an Adja cent canal. Mullins said the army corps of Engi neers would Check other levees in the Are and in the san Joaquin River and Sacra mento River Delta to evaluate their strength. Amtrak rail service along the coast halted during the storms resumed sat urday with a run of the coast Starlight from the san Francisco Bay area to los Angeles. In Northwestern Nevada Muddy Hilly terrain slowed work to repair a natural gasoline ruptured by the Truckee River and 50,000 customers remained without Gas corp. Spokesman Roger Buehrer Aid. The cutoff forced scores of restaurants inthe Carson City area to close while others improvised with charcoal and converted to propane. Large hotel casinos there and at nearby state me nev., reduced restaurant operations and South Lake Tahoe Calif., declared a state of emergency and urged tourists to stay than 1,300 businesses and Homes around Reno suffered flood damage the red Cross said in a preliminary report sat urday but that does not include damage in Carson City Dayton and Fernley. Local flood team spokesman Dick Rhyno called the flooding he worst natural disaster of the Century in Northern Nevada. But most of the 1,000 evacuees had returned Home. Interstate 80, the major artery linking Northern California and Nevada was re opened Friday after being closed for nearly a week by landslides but several other major East West routes remained closed including . So. The storms left More than 10 feet of new Snow in the Sierra. Carson City got 9.73 inches of rain from the storms for a total f this month of 10.27 inches barely half an j Inch Short of the average yearly total for the f state s capital. In Utah our major Rivers. Have All declined very rapidly said National v weather service hydrologist Randy Juland Ier. The Rivers Are Down far enough that we should t have any \ in Colorado winds gusted to 61 Mph of saturday As a warm front settled Over the state creating unstable Snow pack conditions in the mountains where at least 27 avalanches were reported. In Northern Utah s Weber county Anabert remained in effect saturday for Ogden Canyon residents due to High re ? leases of water from Pineview Reservoir. In. Morgan county a private 250-acre-fool i earthen dam that developed a 40-foot crack earlier in the week was being drained and will be inspected by state engineers. Y Marcos from Page 1 Adaza said her supporters had heard that arrest orders were out for opposition leaders and Aquino was secure in a Safe Marcos in live appearances on television urged Ramos and Enrile to Stop this stupidity and surrender so that we May Nego at Camp Aguinaldo Enrile wearing Blue jeans and a Bullet proof Vest and sur rounded by soldiers carrying rifles at tended a mass said by the Rev. Nico Bau Tista. Ramos at Camp crame Ramos was at Camp crame across a Highway from Aguinaldo where he com mands the philippine constabulary. In Washington the White House issued a statement blaming Marcos party of fraud so extreme As to undermine the credibility and legitimacy of the the statement stopped Short of endorsing the rebellion but said the re Marks by Ramos and Enrile strongly reinforce our concerns about the mar cos government. Cardinal Jaime sin the Catholic prel ate broadcast a statement calling for the people to Back Enrile and Ramos saying they should be around at Camp Aguinal do to show your Solidarity and your sup port in this very crucial More than 1,000 people gathered out Side Camp Aguinaldo and As Many As 400 were seen in the streets at nearby Camp crame. Young men climbed the Fence around Camp Aguinaldo to give bags of Rice to soldiers in the Camp. Earlier soldiers carried sacks of weapons into Cam Aguinaldo the largest military base in the country. Early sunday Ramos came out of Camp crame in civilian clothing and greeted the crowd. He climbed atop a truck and said he was not trying to Engi Neer a coup but protect the Constitution. We thank you for giving us your sup port be said. Inside the Camp soldiers Lay on the Lawn casually chatting. We Don t have anything to be afraid of said one. Enrile said Gen Fabian c. Ver who has submitted his resignation As armed forces chief had promised in a Telephone conversation that the Camps would not be attacked. The philippine military has about 200,000 men but it was not Clear How Many backed the insurgents. Marcos said he estimated 1,000 soldiers supported the rebellion but that Field com Manders Are All United in expressing their loyalty to the Constitution and the presi Dent. He said he had the Power to liquidate the rebels but preferred to negotiate their surrender. Asked after his broadcast if he would consider resigning Marcos replied that s ridiculous. With this attempted assassination and coup d eat Don t you think Lam entitled to keep my position Ramos 57, and Enrile 62, claimed they had the support of All branches of the Mili tary but would not Start any , Enrile said we will engage them if they hit us we Are Here to take a stand he said. If any one of us will be killed the should kill All of there was no indication if Aquino had Advance word of the plan by Enrile and Ramos. She was in the Central Philippines City of Cebu and a spokesman said she would await developments before making any statement. Marcos problems have mounted since the August 1983 assassination of his top political rival Binigno Aquino Corazon Aquino s husband. The Marcos govern ment has been accused of being behind that killing. Marcos called the feb. 7 election to demonstrate his popularity but Aquino made a surprisingly Strong showing. On feb. 15, Marcos was declared the Winner by the National Assembly dominated by his party and is to be inaugurated tues Day. Aquino said she would not accept the results and called for a nationwide boy Cott. Enrile asked if he and Ramos would support Aquino replied we Are morally committed. I believe in my whole heart and mind that she was duly elected presi Dent of the he said that in his Home Region know the Marcos forces cheated to the extent of 300,000 Ramos resigns Ramos who had been named by mar cos to become interim armed forces chief to succeed ver said he was resigning from the armed forces and would make himself available to serve the armed forces of the Marcos speaking from the Malaca Nang Palace said an assassination plot letter from Page 1 Star wars which Reagan has refused Todo. But still the official Hopes his Ima guat lots total Prog in weighing the response to Gorbachev the president sent Paul h. Nitze his senior arms control adviser to Western european to consult with Leaden of Edv Toi Korea and Australia. They returned feb. 13 and the following Day a meeting was held at the state de. And conspiracy was aborted after our men captured some of the officers within the presidential Security unit who revealed the he presented a Man he identified As capt. Ricardo Morales described As a personal guard of mrs. Marcos who read a statement on television saying hews part of a plot to kill Marcos. Later Marcos appeared on television again an introduced a second Man maj. Saul Ito Armin who also read a statement implicating himself. Temperatures apartment that brought together top experts a from the slate department tie Calif Lett i a the natio a consensus was reached to recommend to Reagan that he respond to Gorbachev Stive vein and focus on inter me Reagan Pond Cwm Yiove for More thana week and ultimately took their advice. Swi 37 a � m 41 tor57 51 up Tod by he jct Oudy a not by Cloudy Chc Tok Hilarj i Rtin now a Drlich
