Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, February 28, 1986

You are currently viewing page 33 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, February 28, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 28, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Inside stripes d Gray Market cars could Cost bundle Page 3 d coast guard chief asks panel not to Cut deeply Page 5 q women s week activities planned Page 9 the stars and stripes authorized unofficial publication vol. 44. No. 315 Friday february 28, 1986 a. Ahmed forces a Dolly end sunday d 8693 a Reagan defends Dod budget to crafts say deficits imperil nation Washington a president rag wednesday that it would be reckless dangerous a wrong Tor Congress to reduce his $320 billion military budget request saying cuts could fatally Compromise our negotiating position with the soviets. Military spending cuts would be backsliding of the most irresponsible kind he said in a nationally broadcast speech. Democrats in reaction were critical and even republicans said the budget was sure to be redux trying to reverse dwindling  support Tor his 5-year-old  argue that american  element in a peaceful world a Congre Shroy has undercut our negotiators at the is Mojin Geneva Switzerland by Banning tests of satellite weapons and unilaterally giving the soviets a Concession they could not win at the bargaining table Jit said. Address from the Oval office Ria Gan said to cup  As we_2immmfnvwff-Arth. Let s not throw America s a Reagan said. The House majority Leader Jim Wright a Texas gave his party s response to Reagan s address. He said the president s defense budget must be Cut to protect the nation from another danger huge deficits. We think the deficits themselves pose a danger to our National Security Wright said in remarks prepared for broadcast after the president s speech. Sen. Charles Grassly a Iowa after Reading the presi Dent s speech said his a roots people  Fly. At the grass getting their Money s bras sly noted that by the Pentagon s own figures the defense department has s62.s billion in  or Money that Congress has appropriated but which Stagon has t yet spent. To Congress approves the 11.9 percent boost in  that Reagan seeks for the fiscal year beginning Octal juju ending almost four times As much on the military by  As the nation spent during the height of the Vietnam Wright criticized glaring waste such a a Mere and $7,600 Coffee pots and said even the Pentagon see budget on Page 28 Green Yke removed Asel com surgeon by clintswifr11" and Judy Sarasohn staff writers air Force maj. Gen. Or William h. Greendyke has been relieved of his Dutie Sas the european come surgeon because defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger has lost Confidence in his ability to car department policy a pc Tat said thursday. Tf0 j been fully Ady and in the Secre is View general Greendyke was not out Pentagon spokesman " i can confirm that is in receipt of official military Ord signing him As special air Force . Directed to report by to boiling fab near Washington. The associated press reported that unnamed Pentagon sources said Weinberger asked Gen. Bernard Rogers the com Mander of . Forces in Europe to re assign Greendyke. However Sims said Weinberg advised Rogers that 1 available for com it juju a Holbik Brus Neucom spokesman. Army maj. Gen. Or Frankford jr., 7th medical come commander will step in As acting Neucom command surgeon Sims said. Greendyke has been the full time Neucom surgeon since feb. I. He previously served As Neucom surgeon on com rot the . Air forces in Europe. The full time Neucom command sur Geon s Post was created in part because of criticism Over How the military handled " from the 1983 bombing of the i in Beirut  assistant Secretary 6ntha_mpnibkll affairs pushed for the creation of. Improve military medical readiness Art continued on Page 28 new photos add to theory that shuttle seals failed Washington up new pictures displayed thursday to the presidential commission investigating the challenger disaster added fresh evidence to the theory that seals in a Booster rocket joint failed before the shuttle exploded. The photographs which seemed to Surprise commissioners showed More clearly than before a puff of Lack smoke from the right Booster rocket it ignition and an Engineer said the smoke appeared to come from a rocket joint. Officials from the company that built challenger followed up the photograph testimony by revealing they had told the National aeronautics and space administration that challenger was unsafe to Fly be cause of ice conditions on the Gantry next to the shuttle. Your recommendation was that it was not Safe to Fly chairman William Rogers asked at the third Day of hearings into the Chain of events that led to the shuttle Accident. Yes sir said Rocco Petrone president of Rockwell International s space transportation division and a for Mer Apollo Moon rocket launch director for the space Agency at Cape canaveral Fla. There has been no indication that ice from the Bunch pad had anything to do with challenger s explosion Jan. 28, but the Rockwell testimony followed that of Morton Thi Okol inc. Engineers who initially also recommended challenger not Fly because of concern about weather effects on rubber of ring seals in the Booster rockets. The color photographs were being displayed to the see shuttle on Page 28 astronaut Sally ride. On panel probing shuttle disaster Aquino beams freeing prisoners meets Wita Habib Manila of Tippins Aquino Cubarkin on the u began releasing political Pri Ferdinand Marcos tial envoy Philip a Aquino ordered Thi three human rights la1 leg cd member of the communist party of there subsequently i Trade Union leadei1984, slapped i and said it s too also released ment believed bombings in 197 others left protest song cars behind a Sion Aquino Promise to i i said president Corazo if National reconciliation is held by the regime of Lur Day with . Pc Sidon of 39 prisoners including i arrested last year and an Al pal committee of the outlawed Lippins. Nine of those named it me Bilutan army stockade. Anilo Garcia arrested on july 22, Ira times outside the stockade to be tilt. I must be  leaders of he Light a fire move responsible or a series of terrorist id with raised bleached fists Sang a to filipinos to remm bar Freedom fight i wires. In an interact on Abc Clevi the releases were in age with a Campaign Ili tical prisoners. Would have to renounce Olence and that they would ave to pledge allegiance so said. This is the time i Nave to heal All wounds and of work together so that a fam get our country going  Aqui Thress spokesman Rene Sagui Sagle id he hoped to an Ngwe the release of hundreds More by saturday. Jug to military records he said there afe some 450 politic in prisoners in the country. Isag said any general amnesty would Lave to be pred by parliament but the idea for vow s " see Aquino on 1 i 28  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade