Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 7, 1986

You are currently viewing page 7 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 7, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 7, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Friday March 7, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 7 Nasa May re urn of one show rockets Uris a by was to%r%2 3�te  sate Ite Selsto be launched and the shuttle grounded Nasa May return to throwaway rockets and make room for Commer Cial payloads on the few launch vehicles still on hand. The space Agency had contracted to deploy six Commer Cial communications satellites from the shuttle in 1986 and six in 1987. In addition its biggest customer the defense department had booked All or part of 12 shuttle sin the two year period. On five of those flights nothing is Mcnown of the cargo but presumably All involved launching one or More satellites. The others were to carry at least 11. Although the cause of the Jan. 28 explosion that destroyed the shuttle challenger and its Crew has not been determined Nasa officials expect it will be at least a year before another attempt is made to launch a shuttle. That has Nasa managers looking for other ways to hold onto customers in an increasingly competitive Market. The Agency is concerned that its customers who have heavy investments in satellites might turn to the euro Pean consortium Arian space. We have had inquiries from americans who want to put up satellites said Jacqueline Schenkel spokeswoman for Arian space. The soviet Union also talked before the challenger Accident about carrying commercial payloads. China is about to launch a swedish satellite As a beginning of i sentry into the launch Market. When the shuttle became the country s prime launch vehicle Nasa phased out production of other launchers the Workhorse Delta and the More powerful Atlas Cen Taur. It has four deltas ready and three that could be assembled if needed there Are three Atlas centaurs. Two of the deltas Are slated to carry weather satellites and two Are to carry payloads for research on president Reagan s Star wars defense system. A High level Nasa source said one plan under study would allow Nasa to Send up commercial satellites in place of one weather and one defense satellite. Peter Eaton chief of expendable launch vehicles for Nasa said if the Agency chooses the three  can be gotten ready. Nasa which had scheduled 15 flights this year and 19 in 1987, also is considering whether to ask for Money to build one and possibly two orbiters to replace challenger. Even using spare parts on hand estimates Are that it would be More than three years before a new shuttle Craft can be rolled out of the Rockwell International Plant. An inter Agency group will make recommendations to president Reagan soon on How Nasa can fill the Gap left by the loss of challenger. Mcdonnell Douglas began building deltas in 1960 and completed 181 before closing its production line two years ago. Company spokesman Jeff Fister said production machinery is in storage and could be reactivated. The Delta which costs $30 million to $35 million to build can place a 1,500-Pound satellite into an orbit where it remains Over one spot on Earth. The Atlas Centaur can carry a 2,500-Pound to 3,000-Pound satellite. It costs $65 million to $70 million to build. Before the shuttle satellites were constructed to fit atop the rockets that carried them aloft but the shuttle s spa Cious hold has permitted bigger and heavier cargoes. Re cent weights have run As much As 4,000 pounds. A satellite intended for shuttle launch thus could not be easily switched to an expendable rocket Eaton said. The air Force fearing an Accident such As the one that befell challenger on Jan. 28, won congressional approval last year to order 10 Titan 34d7 rockets capable of carry ing 10,000-Pound payloads. U. $8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 19 Chic Sou s. Spending on space in billions of dollars per fiscal years / / 1 / Ofa v 1 t r \ of 62 65 70 75 80 85 86 ago Tribune Chart estimates pm office of management and budget and Chicago Tribune news reports couple drugged show and burned children letters from the grave protest treatment of vets Lebanon . A letters writ ten by a couple who died in a fire with three children describe How they drugged and shot the youngsters set their Home ablaze and then killed themselves in frustration Over the treatment of disabled veterans. The letters received wednesday by the Valley news in Lebanon and amur to in Manchester appear to have been written by Caroline Hull and signed by her and Michael Dean. Bodies believed to be those of Hull 32, Dean 43, and her three children aged 4 to 11, were found tuesday in the charred rub ble of their Home. The similar Handwritten letters each six pages Long described events As though they already had happened. They said the two drugged the children with sleeping pills be fore Dean poured kerosene through the House shot each of the children and Hull torched the House and shot himself. It also said he blocked the driveway with their vehicles to hamper firefighters. The authenticity of the letter which contained Many misspellings and grammatical errors had not been verified by authorities. Instead of protecting us and our coun try s Handicap the ones that truly deserve it they the government continue on help ing those that care nothing for America the letter said. Dean s Mother Ruth Little of Florida told the newspaper wednesday that after military service in Korea and Vietnam he was a psychiatric patient at the a Hospital in White River Junction it. An official at the Hospital told the associated press that Dean received $617 a month for a service connected disability but would not give specifics of the disability. Before the children All went to sleep we gave them a drink of water before bedtime As always but we dissolved about 30 sleep ing pills in each Glass. So they would be totally asleep. Then i helped Mike prepare the House clothes were Speed everywhere the vehicles were parked blocking the drive Way so the House could Burn completely said the letter received by the Valley news. They i took sleeping pills. We All played on our mattress on cellar floor which we had moved from our bedroom after the kids were asleep the letter said. Mike poured kerosene All Over the upstairs and leaving a Trail downstairs. A wet Sheet was comeing out of the Oil tank and a 55 drum Container of kerosene filled in the cellar. He then proceeded to finish Bur plans. He shoot us All for fear the sleeping pills might not be enough. Then he played beside me and lit the fires making sure for a minute the fire was burning upstairs. He then shot himself. We were All shot in  assistant attorney general David Plourde would not say if any weapons were found. A letter about the deaths also went to John and Kitty Hull of Wilder vt., parents of Caroline Hull s late husband. A taped message went to her own family in Hart land it. Again i stress the Point that Mike and myself Are now and at the time of this action totally sane. And gave this Many hours of discussion Hull purportedly wrote. We Are now All free and have our peace  ". Live free or die the letter ended quoting the state motto that appears on new Hampshire License plates. The letter said it was written because it is our last dicing wish that you Tell the Story Correct. For respect and Honor of  amur and the Valley news gave authorities the letters and family photograph that accompanied them. Change of address cards for Dean and Caroline Hull left at the local Post office before the fire gave a forwarding address As deceased took his own  the cards were sent to the Fri for analysis. Trial begins for inmate after escape plan fails a policeman examines the Cache of arms confiscated from mercenary suspects. A photo Anderson ind. A an inmate who allegedly hatched an escape attempt involving mercenaries recruited through ads in Soldier of Fortune Magazine went on trial amid extra Security wednesday for the death of a fellow prisoner. State and local Law enforcement officials said the Security was placed around the courtroom for the trial of Roger a. Jaske As a precautionary measure following the arrests of nine alleged mercenaries. The jury was ordered sequestered for the trial. Officials announced tuesday they had foiled an escape attempt concocted by Jaske 33, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the december 1983 death of fellow Indiana reformatory inmate Clin ton Page 20. Jaske serving a life sentence for first degree murder also is charged with Battery and with being an habitual offender. Officials believe Jaske ran an advertise ment in the february 1985 Issue of Soldier of Fortune soliciting mercenaries to help him escape state police sgt. Jim Grindle said wednesday. Grindle said the and read mercenary looking for male caucasian partner age 18 25, willing to accept the risk. Must have guts be Able to travel and Start work immediately. No special skills required. High pay guaranteed. Ask for  officials said tuesday said they had found an Arsenal of weapons and ammunition in their raids on a Motel where eight of the alleged mercenaries were arrested along with detailed plans to free Jaske Dur ing tuesday s jury selection. Madison county prosecutor Bill Lawler said he expected to file charges thursday against six or seven of the eight mercenaries arrested at an Anderson Motel sunday and monday nights the eight Are being held on preliminary conspiracy charges. A ninth person is being held in Minnesota on a similar charge awaiting extradition to Indiana state police said. Davidson said investigators were not sure How Jaske had planned to pay the Mercena Ries who reportedly had been promised amounts from $10,000 to $25,000 to Spring him  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade