European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 16, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 the stars and stripes sunday March 16, 1986 Singapore hotel collapses 100 feared buried vhf a Jyi 131.111 la to missing under a Mound of rubble sunday 15 hours after Rescue operations began. Four people were confirmed dead. Nine people were pulled injured from the wreckage of the 67-room hotel new world after it collapsed at 11-20 . Saturday said Lim Siam Kim director of the ministry of Home affairs. No americans were known to be at the hotel. We Are using. Up to Date machinery including sensitive microphones in the Rescue efforts Lim said he said that the identity of the dead person whose body was still buried in the rubble was not yet known but that he was believed to be a chinese male. One of the women in the building s wreckage was being fed with glucose Lim told reporters and he said that although the second woman could not be reached she Wasin voice Contact with Rescue workers. He said an estimated 100 people were believed trapped under the 80-foot-High pile of Concrete bricks and Cement cleared about 10,000 people who gathered to stare at the wreckage were held Back by police. ,1 5,00,�olice military men and employees of the Public works department and civil defense worked in rotating Crews of 500 to Clear rubble Lim said rescuers worked under the Glare of powerful flood lights lifting out chunks of Concrete by hand As electric saws Cut through pieces. Five civilian cranes and one huge Crane that can lift 100 tons were brought in to remove layers of Concrete. When one Large slab was lifted other sections of the building caved in. � at one Point Lim said the cranes were halted temporarily so workers could use microphones and other instruments to detect sounds of survivors. Of the estimated 100 people trapped Lim said 16 Are believed to be employees of a Branch of the Indus in waa in ainu ,uj1 u1chotel s ground floor. The hotel new world itself had a defense in Sanctuary movement trial rests its Case without calling a witness to 1oc/axt a _ _ / l a �. Staff of 26. The other people trapped May be Bank or hotel custom ers Lim said adding we Don t there was no immediate word on what caused the col lapse of the hotel that was estimated Between 14 and 20 years old and that was frequented by Indian and malay Sian tourists. However Home affairs minister Shanmugam Jayakumar who was at the scene with prime minister Lee Kwan Yew said officials had heard reports of a Gas explosion or Strong smell of Gas coming from the hotel building after it he provided no further details but at a news Confer ence at the site of the collapse he said there would be a investigation into its cause. Police barred entry of All vehicles into the area and there were massive traffic jams in some parts of the asian Island nation. The hotel is located in Singapore s Low income District of ser Angoon Road sometimes called Little India be cause of the Many Indian shops there. News update Tucson Ariz. A a lawyer for one of 11 Sanctuary workers accused of smuggling aliens into the country says the defense rested its Case in the Marathon trial without calling a witness because prosecutors failed in their Case. Why attend the football game when the score is 27-0 in the last Quarter attorney Michael Piccarreta said after the Surprise move Friday. In our opinion. We won. There is no Case. These people Are not . District judge Earl h. Carroll called immigration and naturalization service special agent James Rayburn to the stand in expectation that he would be the first person called by the defense but one by one defense attorneys stood to say they rested their Case. Carroll caught off guard set a hearing for tuesday to discuss jury instructions. The belief that prosecutor Donald m. Reno or. Had not proven his Case was the principal reason for the Man Euver defens attorneys said. They also cited concern that the jury had been taxed by the trial s 19 weeks and worry Over the continued House arrest status of four people who refused to testify for Reno. They also said they were satisfied they were Able to incorporate into the trial elements of conditions in Central America religion and . Policy on granting Politi Cal Asylum despite Carroll s rulings limiting such testimony. We Don t want the jury to resent us for dragging out the Case defense attorney Nancy Postero said. Reno who completed his Case March 7,formally rested Friday. The three previous Days had been devoted to Legal arguments and dismissal of 12 counts against eight defendants. Thirty two counts remained including one charging the defendants with conspiracy to smuggle Central americans into the United states. Reno s Case took 14 weeks including fre quent Breaks with the jury excused while lawyers argued Over numerous issues. Seventeen prosecution witnesses testified including a paid government informant and an immigration agent while the four other people who refused to testify were cited for contempt Carroll ended their House arrest order Friday because both sides had rested. Defendants say they have helped people fleeing political persecution and violence in accordance with International and . Laws. The government contends that economic Rea sons have enticed Central americans to enter this country without documentation. Rayburn directed the 1984 undercover investigation of the movement which the government named operation sojourner but Reno did not Call him to testify. Rayburn said after Friday s defense move that he was disappointed he did t Getto testify. Soviet capsule docks with space station Moscow a two cosmonauts docked their space capsule with the soviet Union s new space station Mir saturday and boarded what May become the first permanently manned Orbital Laboratory soviet television said. The linkup occurred about two Days after the soyuz t-15 capsule lifted off from the Bai Konur space Center in soviet Central Asia the report said. Television did not broadcast pictures of the Docking or the Transfer to Mir by mis Sion commander Leonid Kizim 44, and Engineer Vladimir Soloveva 39, just undertow hours later. A television commentator later explained to soviet viewers that the Docking occurred in a place from which television pictures could not be received. This flight signals the Start of a new Long term soviet program of peaceful space research radio Moscow said sat urday. But neither that broadcast nor previous reports on the soyuz t-15 Mission which began thursday have specified How Long the two cosmonauts will stay aboard the new station or whether unmanned periods Are planned Between the current manned Mission and the next. Tass released Bare details of the Cosmo nauts Mission saying they would Start up the station which was launched feb. 20, test its Structure and tune inboard equip ment. N v in 1984, Kizim and Soloveva spent 237 Days aboard Mir s predecessor the a Lyut-7 space station. They set a space endurance record along with a third Cosmo naut Oleg Askov. The salyut 7 is still in orbit but there has been no official word from the soviets on what they plan to do with the older space station launched in 1982. The Mir whose name Means peace in russian was put into orbit feb. 20. Soviet Media said then the new station would eventually serve As the basis for permanently manned operations. The station has Docking ports for six spacecraft. Two Are for space vehicles like the soyuz capsules and four connections Are for cargo or Laboratory components that could be flown up to the station in the future. Record Stream Levels Washington a streams from California to Florida to new York set High water records in february As unusually heavy Rains swamped Many areas the . Geological Survey has reported. The wet conditions occurred prior to the main period of melting Snow in Many areas raising further concerns for possible Spring floods. Bhagwan in Ireland Limerick Ireland a Bhagwan Shree Rajneesha the Indian guru deported from the United states expelled from Greece and barred from Britain has been Given an entry permit for Ireland the jus Tice department said. Rajneesha and eight disciples took Over a floor of jury s hotel in Lime Rick on March 7, according to hotel staff members. The Justice department said Raj Nemesh was issued an entry permit valid for three months. Night stalker Case Santa Ana Calif. A Richard Ramirez accused of being the night stalker whose seemingly random attacks terrorized Southern California for months has pleaded innocent to Orange county charges of attempted murder and rape. Ramirez s los Angeles county preliminary hearing on 14 murder charges and 48 other felony counts was in re Cess for the Day enabling authorities to transport him to Santa Ana for arraignment in connection with an attack on a Mission Viejo couple. The 26-year-old defendant is accused of a string of attacks from june 1984 through August 1985. He waived his right to a preliminary hearing within 10 to 60 Days on the additional charges. Peace marchers regrouping in face of fund shortage Barstow. Calif. Cap the. Few Cimioro Apt. Calif. A the foot soldiers of the great peace March hesitantly and sometimes tearfully began taking control of the trek As its sponsors surren dered to mounting debt just 120 Miles into the 3,235-Milehike across America. Pro peace the group which organized the March went out of business Friday As hundreds of marchers spent a fourth Day stuck at a wintry Mojave desert Camp. Marchers cried and denounced a Lack of support. Some vowed to continue the trek for global disarmament which began March 1 in los Angeles and was to end with a giant rally in Washington d.c., on nov. 14. It s going to be necessary for pro peace to fold so that the debts no longer become an unbearable Burden on those who wish to March David Mixner founder of peo ple reaching out for peace told 300 to 500 marchers Mixner pledged to do what he could for those trying to carry on. J b the Circle of marchers listened in silence applauded quietly then broke into a song written for the March by Folk Singer Holly near. Life is a great and mighty March went one of the verses. Tim Carpenter a pro peace staff member suggested that marchers spend the weekend deciding who will continue while he and members of a new organization called the great peace March for nuclear disarmament try to line up at least enough food water supplies and Money to see 200 people through As far As Las actor Robert Blake who had vowed to walk across the country said he feared that those planning to March far ther were misleading the rest. I m not hearing the truth he angrily told an Organ incr my concern is with the marchers he said. These Are the greatest people in the world. That this is falling Apar Breaks my it i in a mar a pro peace was receiving about $22,000 a Day spokeswoman Odrie Osborn said. By feb. J a before the trek carted donations fell to $5,000a Day donations dropped dramatically after marchers left their Home cities she said but could not estimate pro peaces debt. Osborn said 950 of the 1,200 people who began the March were participating Friday. California Highway patrol capt. Duane Clements put the number thursday at do 1 Dan Chavez former Legal director of pro peace said he plans to file papers monday to incorporate remaining marchers As the great peace March for nuclear disarmament inc. Via
