Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 21, 1986

You are currently viewing page 6 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, March 21, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 21, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 6 the stars and stripes Friday March 21, 1986 Marcos linked to . Campaigns str Irti  n 11Nin.i.i.- Ferdinand Marcos a photo Washington a the 1980 presidential campaigns of Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter Are listed As recipients of $50,000 contributions on a document brought to the United states by former philippine president Ferdinand Marcos congressional sources and a philippine official say. But spokesmen for both campaigns said they knew nothing of the purported contributions and the sources said it was not Clear if the Money actually had been Given. Reports said other . Candidates also were listed As receiving contributions including sen. Alan Cranston a Calif. Presidential spokesman Larry Speakes questioned the authenticity of the document which he described As an unsigned computer printout dated in 1982, Well after the election. Acknowledging that any such gifts to Reagan s presiden tial Campaign would have been illegal Speakes said we believe we had adequate safeguards to prevent  Cranston said thursday he did not know anything about any $10,000 contribution besides it does t make any sense Marcos would do that because i be been one of his strongest  but the document described tuesday by congressional sources on condition of anonymity and by Jovito Salonga head of a philippine commission investigating Marcos does not make Clear whether the contributions were actually made the sources said. Rep. Stephen Solarz d-n.y., chairman of the House for eign affairs subcommittee on asian and Pacific affairs Reite rated that Point As his subcommittee met with Salonga. The notion that Alan Cranston would have in any Way violated Federal election Laws by accepting foreign Campaign contributions is on the face of it ludicrous Solarz said. It is illegal for foreign citizens to contribute Money to . Federal campaigns. The list of contributions has been referred to the Justice department s criminal division for further investigation the sources said. The paper was among 2,300 pages of documents detail ing what Salonga called Marcos unbelievable plunder of the philippine Treasury. The papers were handed Over tues Day to Salonga by the . Government. Salonga chairman of the commission on Good govern analyst urges Nasa to use liquid fuel engines in new shuttle ment named by Marcos successor Corazon Aquino arranged to appear at the hearing. Both Solarz and Salonga have refused to publicly release the documents although they have promised to make Many of the papers Public later. But he said before any papers Are released he and the subcommittee staff will Confer with the Justice department because we Don t want to jeopardize the two grand jury proceedings now going on. Salonga interviewed tuesday on Abc to s night line said the document showing political contributions bore no signature or initial. It s merely a typewritten list of contributions made by a certain corporation called Mab Hay corporation in the  Salonga said he knew nothing about Mab Hay. Officials said one document was a computer printout listing Campaign contributions of $500 to $50,000 with the names of 10 to 20 american candidates the new York times said in thursday s editions. Nightlife said Cranston and Leo Mccarthy the Cali fornia lieutenant governor were among those mentioned inthe documents. Tim Smith who was general counsel for Carter s 1980 Campaign told the Washington Post that if the contribution came in i did t know about  the Post also quoted John c. White who was the demo cratic National chairman in 1980, As saying i never heard of it. I have absolutely no inkling of  in California Mccarthy said it s idiotic. I have never received any contributions that i m aware of from Ferdi nand  stateside Washington up a financial analyst who won a Nasa Public service award in 1981, says the space Agency should replace the space shuttle challenger with new and improved shuttles and consider using liquid fuel instead of solid propellant Booster rockets. Do not throw Good Money after old technology orbit ers Klaus Heiss told House space subcommittee wednes Day. To spend $3 billion or More today for Early-1970s technology is wasteful and  he said the three shuttles left after challenger was destroyed Jan. 28 should be used Only for missions that cannot be carried out by unmanned expendable rockets. There is no Way now to make the current set of shuttles into an economically viable space transportation system for the rest of this Century Heiss said. Heiss was awarded a National aeronautics and space administration Public service award in 1981 for outstand ing contributions to the economic understanding of the shuttle program. He directed an economic study of the reusable spaceship in the Early 1970s and later formed a company that unsuccessfully sought shuttle marketing rights in 1982 in return for financing a fifth shuttle. Heiss told the subcommittee that budget restrictions in the 1970s forced Nasa to make a variety of savings that resulted in limited engine testing restrictions on computer systems heat shield tiles instead of metallic materials and no adequate allowance for spare parts. Corners were Cut in every conceivable Way just to achieve a first launch " he said. What suffered As a result were adequate provisions for efficient routine Low Cost and Safe shuttle operations in the 1980s." Chicago mayor accuses opponents of stealing Aldermani elections Chicago a mayor Harold Washington apparently falling Short in his bid to gain control of the City Council accused opponents of trying to steal the court or dered federally supervised Aldermani elections aimed at increasing minority representation. Meanwhile Democrat Adlai e. Stevenson coasted through the first primary of 1986 in Hopes of avenging his bitter 1982 loss to Republican gov. James r. Thompson Scutari arrested san Antonio Texas a Richard Joseph Scutari one of the Fri s 10 most wanted fugitives and an alleged member of the Neo nazi group the order was arrested by Federal agents wednesday authorities said. Scutari was arrested without incident at an Auto motive repair shop where he worked said Bill Dalseg special agent in charge of the san Antonio Fri office. Agents recovered a .45-caliber automatic pistol from under the front seat of a car Scutari had been driving just before his arrest Dalseg said. Scutari 38, is charged with racketeering harbouring a fugitive and storing and concealing about $40,000 from the $3.6 million robbery of a brinks armoured truck near Ukiah Calif., in july 1984, authorities said. Who was unopposed in his bid for an unprecedented fourth term. . Sen. Alan Dixon won the democratic renomination by fending off a minor Challenge. State rep. Judy Koehler a Republican Defeated Chicago businessman George ran N.Y.in her bid to oppose Dixon in november. Meanwhile backers of conservative Democrat Lyndon Larouche stunned mainline party leaders with surprisingly Strong showings by candidates for the democratic Nomi nations for lieutenant governor and Secretary of s Tate. The special Aldermani elections were ordered by a Feder Al judge in seven of the 50 wards to increase minority representation in the Council. Four of the re distracted wards Are predominantly hispanic three predominantly Black. Washington needed four victories to gain a 25-25 dead lock in the Council giving him the tie breaking vote. With Well Over half the precincts counted his supporters were ahead in two wards. Four opposition candidates led and the seventh race appeared headed for an april 29 Runoff required when no candidate wins a majority. Fourteen of Illinois 22 congressional incumbents were unopposed in the primary including rep. John Grotberg a freshman Republican whose doctors have announced he emerged from a monthlong coma. A political unknown Mark Powell of Dekalb mounted a last minute write in Campaign for the gop nomination. In Southern Illinois democratic rep. Melvin Price 81, relieved of his chairmanship of the House armed services committee last year amid concern Over his age and health won a narrow Victory Over Madison county auditor pet Fields. Court rejects Appeal of student barred from Tennessee College Cincinnati a a Federal appeals court has rejected a Challenge to a Tennessee Law barring that state s universities from admitting male students age 18 and older who have not registered with the . Selective service system. A three judge panel of the 6th . Circuit court of appeals heard 15 minutes of Oral arguments before unanimously rejecting the Appeal by Tom Vogel 21, of Memphis Tenn. Vogel challenged the 1984 Law after he was admitted to Memphis state University but was prevented from completing registration when he told school officials he had no registered. Cleveland Bishop seeks halt to diocese s Bingo advertising Cleveland a the roman Catholic diocese of Cleveland worried about its image has told its schools and churches to Stop advertising Bingo games. The request was made by Bishop Anthony Pilla in a March 3 letter to diocesan organizations said the Rev. John j. Wright diocese financial and Legal Secretary. Pilla feels that it would be better from this time on if we had no advertising Wright said. We have no real control Over the placement of the ads in  the Bishop is worried because the ads often Are placed with entertainment advertisements in newspapers he said. There Are nearly 1 million catholics in the Clevelan diocese. Texas University guarantees its education school graduates Denton Texas a North Texas state University is offering a guarantee if school districts Are not satisfied with its education school graduates the districts can sen the teachers Back. The school will retrain any incompetent teachers it graduates through a Quality Assurance program scheduled to Start in May University spokeswoman Charlotte guest said. Throughout our 96-year history we always have had a commitment to Quality teacher preparation said Etsu Chancellor Alfred Hurley. If we did not have the utmost Confidence in our teacher education program which has the highest admission standards in the state we could not offer this kind of Assurance to school  All Etsu education graduates receiving Texas teacher certification about 400 a year will be covered by the program guest said. The school s guarantee came three Days after Texas teachers finished the first round of competency testing mandated by education reforms. State officials predict about 5 percent of the state s 200,000 teachers will fail that test and a second Chance test in june  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade