Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, March 30, 1986

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, March 30, 1986

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 30, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes sunday March 30, 1986 280 German demonstrators arrested a Eckersdorf Germany a German police said they arrested 280 anti nuclear militants and seized a Cache of crude weapons saturday As easter demonstrations against nuclear Power and arms got under Way nationwide. The arrested activists were plotting to charge the construction site of the a Eckersdorf nuclear waste recycling Plant on monday and tear Down the perimeter Fence according to Dieter Stelzer police spokesman in this Bavari an Village. In Frankfurt the German anti nuclear movement s easter March Central office said rallies against nuclear War and Power were being conducted saturday in More than Iso cities and towns. Stelzer said riot police Tore Down about 50 tents inhabited by the protesters near the a Eckersdorf Plant site in an isolated forested area and arrested the activists for identity checks. An inquiry was continuing to determine what charges should be pressed. Stelzer said police found an Arsenal of dangerous items in the tents including 10 Molotov cocktails rope ladders Mace cans axes Ham mers Metal files knives Glass cutters slingshots with Glass and Iron projectiles and 42 pyrotechnic Al  we believe that we be cleaned out the planning Center for violent action against the Plant site said Stelzer. Police moved in on the camped out activists a Day after about 20 of them hurled stones and fired Slingshot projectiles at police who were on a patrol of the area he said. A spokeswoman for anti nuclear protesters in hackers Dorf said the activists had been provoked by a police Heli copter s nose dive on the Camp site earlier Friday. The spokeswoman refused to identify herself. Germany s anti nuclear movement made the hackers Dorf Plant site a key target this year As part of its traditional easter weekend demonstrations and marches. Anti nuclear protests have dogged the Plant site since tree Clearing work began in december. Friedhelm Ost the German government s chief spokes Man warned easter March participants Friday to stay within Legal Bounds. Ost said some militants apparently were planning to exploit a peaceful rally at a Eckersdorf to unleash acts of naked violence against the Plant site. Organizers say they expect 30,000 to 50,000 demonstrators at a Eckersdorf on easter monday. News update teen gets 30-50 years Detroit a a teen Ager has been sentenced to 30-50 years in prison after being convicted of attempted murder in a shooting spree at a Mcdonald s restaurant in which 11 youths were wounded. Gregory Allen 18, of. Detroit was sentenced by recorder s court judge Michael Sapala for his conviction on 10 counts of assault with intent to commit murder. Allen s co defendant Andre Beard 17, of Detroit was sentenced to 40 months to five years in prison for his conviction on a lesser charge of being an accessory after the fact. The two also were sentenced to an additional mandatory two years in prison each for using a firearm in the commission of a felony. The gunfire broke out oct. 11 after Beard went into the restau rant to confront teen agers he believed responsible for firing shots at his car earlier in the Day. Sex racer extradited St. Augustine Fla. A former race car Driver John Paul sr., who in 1983 jumped a $500,000 Bond on an attempted murder charge has been extradited and booked under tight Security into the jail Here. Paul 46, who was arrested in Lausanne Switzerland in january 1985, was flown to Jacksonville. St. Johns county sheriff Neil Perry said Paul was heavily guarded during the Transfer from Swiss to . Custody. We consider him to be a dangerous individual a High escape risk and also he could easily be the target of some people who do not want him to testify against them Perry said. John Paul ii starts traditional easter Vigil with candlelight process on at St. Peter s Vatican City up Pope John Paul ii led the world s 800 million roman catholics in a Light filled easter Vigil serv ice saturday that celebrated christianity s Central belief Jesus resurrection from the dead. The Pope wearing Brilliant Gold and White vestments led the traditional Lumen Christ Light of Christ procession Down the Central aisle of St. Peter s Basilica. The procession stopped three times As it moved in Semi darkness toward the main altar in Christendom s largest Church. The stops signify what christians believe were the three Days Between Jesus death on the Cross and his resurrection. Thousands of candles during the first Stop aides lit the Large White Candle John Paul was carrying. At the second Stop priests and nuns lit their candles and at the third the cavernous Basilica went ablaze with electric lights and thousands of candles lighted by Ordinary pilgrims. The easter Vigil ceremony leads roman catholics out of the 40-Day mourning period of Lent into easter the Church s most important feast since catholics believe Christ s divinity was confirmed by his resurrection from the dead. Before the procession John Paul carved the greek letters Alpha and Omega signify ing what christians believe is Christ s Eter nity into the 5-foot High White easter can dle that will Burn before the altar for 50 Days. Easter sunday in Christian churches throughout the world the easter Vigil started at Midnight. But in St. Peter s it traditionally starts ear Lier this year at 9 . To enable the pontiff to get some rest before his strenuous easter sunday celebrations. John Paul was to celebrate easter mass sunday morning then deliver his tradition Al Urbiet Orbi to the City and the world message at noon from the Central Balcony of St. Peter s. On Good Friday the Pope carried a wooden Cross through the streets of Rome to the colosseum to Mark Jesus journey to his crucifixion. Pope John Paul ii leads the Good Friday procession at the colosseum in Rome. A photo Manila Philippines a . Military authorities and filipino Union leaders resumed talks saturday to find ways to end an 8-Day-old strike by 22,000 civilian workers at american oases in the Philippines. You Don t know whether to be optimistic or pessimistic said . Navy spokesman James Van sickle refer ring to the negotiations led by rear adm. Edwin Kohn the top . Military officer in the Philippines and Union Leader Roberto Flores. Both parties aim to resolve the Issue of lifting the Filipi no strikers barricade to allow american military person Nel and civilians free Access to the bases a condition . Authorities have set for negotiating the workers demands. The strike involves 22,000 filipino workers who have barred anyone from coming in and out of Clark a Subic naval base and six smaller . Installations. . Military spokesmen said they did not know How Many americans have been barred from the bases by the strike. Some of those unable to get in were personnel on Liberty passes while others were off base residents. Workers have been asking for an increase in Severance pay. They have also proposed alternatives retirement pay upon reaching the age of 45 or upon completion of 15 years of service a Grant of 110 pounds of Rice per month for each employee strike duration pay and a one year moratorium on staff cutbacks. I think anything can be received and studied said Van sickle when asked if american officials would be amenable to the workers new proposal. Van sickle said maintenance at Subic was going along largely  at Clark spokesman capt. Jack Sahli said base operations had improved a bit with More servicemen and volunteers filling in for the filipino employees on strike. A Lull i i Kiln Mai All . Armed forces personnel outside Clark have been ordered by higher authorities to stay out of bars and cocktail lounges to avoid any risk of harm by strikers Sahli said. An air Force bus carrying servicemen was stoned Fri Day when it passed pickets at Clark. Sahli denied a philippine news Agency report saying base authorities transported military personnel from other . Military installations to the base by helicopter. He said the helicopters were carrying medical supplies. Navy spokesmen say there Are 13,782 americans and their dependents attached to Subic 3,481 of whom live off base. Air Force spokesmen at Clark say there Are about 9,600 . Military personnel with about 16,000 dependents. Approximately two thirds of the military personnel live off base  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade