European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 9, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 4 the stars and stripes wednesday april 9, 1986 Shultz soviet foreign minister to meet in May Washington a Secretary of state George Shultz said tuesday he will meet with soviet foreign minister Eduard Shevardnadze next month to Lay the groundwork for a second Summit meeting Between presi Dent Reagan and soviet Leader Mikhail Gorbachev. Arrangements for the Shultz Shevardnadze meeting were made during a 75-minute session Between Reagan and soviet ambassador Anatoly Dobrynin. Shevardnadze will visit Washington in mid May but Shultz did not say whether that would allow the two sides enough time to prepare for a Summit within the Preau gust timetable set by Reagan. Shultz said Dobrynin made it Clear the soviet Side would not establish any preconditions for the meeting but he said both sides expressed an interest in substantive results. The arrangements for the Shultz Shevardnadze meet ing were made As the United states was preparing an underground nuclear explosion at a Nevada test site de spite a soviet warning that it would Lead to an end of a unilateral soviet moratorium on such testing. But the . Test was delayed an Energy department official said without giving a reason. The official would not say whether the test had been rescheduled. Dobrynin was recently elevated to the communist party Central committee and his visit to the Oval office was in the form of a Farewell Call. Shultz said the meeting was very substantive and constructive and advanced he said Dobrynin brought a letter to Reagan from Gorbachev. The Reagan administration has been pressing for a Summit in either june or july in the United states As a followup to the Reagan Gorbachev meeting last novem Nevada nuclear weapons fest delayed with no reason Given Las vegas Nev. A a nuclear weapons test scheduled for tuesday was delayed an Energy depart ment official said without giving a reason. The official would not say when or if the test was called off. The soviet Union has maintained a unilateral test moratorium and the . Decision to continue nuclear testing has become a major Issue Between the two nations. The Reagan administration says the soviets imposed the moratorium because they had completed their own tests soviet Leader Mikhail Gorbachev has said the soviets will resume testing if the United states does not join the ban. Earlier sen. Edward Kennedy d-mass., said the planned test could perpetuate the arms race. In an interview on the Abc to today show Kennedy said moving ahead with tuesday s test could Lead to further testing by the soviets and a continuation of therms race. So we should say now let us halt Stop the testing Kennedy said tuesday. He said Gorbachev s Challenge should be tested. We Are not doing that if we just go ahead in a unilateral Way with testing he said. And that i Don t believe is in our National Security interest and certainly it will not help us try to halt the arms race. This is the most important Opportunity to Stop the arms race and we should no let it go lie said there Are ways of checking reliability without testing weapons and there have been improvements in the United Stales ability to detect what the soviets Are doing. In addition he said the soviets have challenged the United Stales. To additional verification procedure that they would be willing to accept. Now we cannot know at this time whether they would be adequate for our own verification and our own National Security. But we ought to test general Secretary Gorba Chev s statements to find out whether they Are. Then we would know whether it s the soviet Union or the United states that wants a continuation of the meanwhile officials at the Nevada test site said a foray by Greenpeace members onto the testing Range would have Little effect on the planned test. Nine protesters entered the sprawling test Range thurs Day according to the activist group. Greenpeace spokeswoman Kate Karam said the six pro testers who remained monday were arrested in the Yucca Flats area and were taken to jail in Beatty. Police would neither confirm nor deny the arrests. On monday three other Greenpeace members entered the site in a bid to reach the test area said spokesman Peter Dykstra. Federal officials said protesters would not be Able to approach High Security zones. There is virtually no likelihood they will interrupt any activities on the test site. Said Energy department spokesman Dave Miller. This has about As much substance As a hot air balloon they tried to Fly Over the test site a few years ago. It s about As significant As saying the seven invaded Rhode Island he said. . Officials have declined to discuss the purpose of the planned test. Stan Norris a research associate with the natural resources defense Council a private Environ mental group based in Washington said last week it appeared Likely it was a test known As mighty Oak. He said the idea would be to measure the Impact of radiation on the re entry vehicles of the land based my missiles and on the Trident ii submarine missile. The last announced . Underground test was on March 22. The Energy department said the test device had a yield of up to 150 Kilotons or 10 times the Force of the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima. That was the first announced test since dec. 28. Not All tests Are announced. The test site covers 1,350 Square Miles of desert and Mountain ranges an area larger than Rhode Island. The site is not fenced but High Security areas Are monitored by helicopters television cameras and roving guard patrols. Four members of Greenpeace entered the test site three years ago and spent Days dodging searchers until they walked into a sensitive area and were arrested for trespassing. Green peace later tried to launch a hot air balloon into restricted air space Over the test site but the attempt fizzled. Money saving Steps proposed in pcs study Ber in Geneva. But the administration has accused Moscow of dragging its feet in making the arrangements raising doubts As to whether the president s timetable can be met. As an alternative administration officials have indicated that if Reagan s preferred time Frame cannot be met the Summit May have to be put off until november or later. Reagan plans to go on vacation in August and will be occupied with legislative matters and the fall congressional election campaigns Between september and the first week in november. Asked about the prospects for Concrete agreements at the Summit Shultz said when you have a meeting of the president and the general Secretary each one expects that. The important questions that Are at Issue Are going to get Russell a. Rourke file photo of Secretary Rourke resigning Washington a Russell a. Rourke Secretary of the air Force since december has resigned for personal reasons a spokesman for the defense department said today. Or. Rourke expressed deep regret and cited extraordinary personal and private circumstances for his decision said defense department spokesman it. Cmdr. Chris Baumann. The White House announced that president Reagan will nominate Edward c. Aldridge the under Secretary of the air Force to succeed Rourke. The 53-year-old Rourke who had served As the Pentagon s chief lobbyist was sworn in As the air Force s top civilian on dec. 10. He succeeded Verne Orr who resigned. Aldridge 47, has been under Secretary since 1981. Before that he was a vice president of the system planning corporation. He served in the defense department in the Ford administration As director of planning and evaluation and As Deputy assistant Secre tary of Demesne for strategic programs. Pentagon pressing for lengthened overseas Tours a fi-inr1/ Vinju by Chuck Vinch Washington Bureau Washington service members overseas will find it tougher to get tour curtailments and easier to get consecutive overseas assignments if recommendations in a Pentagon study of the permanent change of station pro Gram arc approved. The study which combines 10 reports requested by Congress said the Best Way to reduce rotational moves and trim their $2.8 billion annual Cost is to extend the time service members remain overseas. The study recommends two ways to do that. One would ensure that service members stay overseas at least As Long As their tour lengths Call for. It is the desire of the defense department that service members serve prescribed tour lengths for their duty Sta Tion prior to reassignment the study said. Exceptions to the policy would have to come from a general officer and be approved by the service Secretary. Exceptions would be made for humanitarian reassigns preparation for unit deployment assignments of first term enlisted personnel and assignments that Are a direct result of a base closure or a change in major weapon system or Force Structure. The second Way would be to sell the idea of consecutive overseas Tours to service members. Pentagon officials Are confident soldiers would Volunteer for a second tour if they and their families received free round trips to their Home of record Between Tours. Dod wants to implement the consecutive overseas tour leave travel benefits and can do so without congressional authority but several hurdles remain a Pentagon official said tuesday. It s a question now of changing the joint travel regulations and developing common guidelines for the services to do this the official said. He said the guidelines should be in place by the beginning of fiscal 1987. Another consideration is finding the Money he said. We re not going to get any extra funds to do this. The Money has to come from other he said Dod Hopes to fund the leave travel with Money saved from the reduction in rotational moves As service members Volunteer for consecutive overseas Tours. The study also recommends that service members mov ing Between consecutive overseas Tours be required to serve the prescribed tour lengths for both locations. That would close a loophole that now allows some service Mem ers to serve two overseas Tours within the Normal Tim Frame for one tour. While consecutive overseas Tours generally reduce rotational moves personnel management practices used by some of the services in this area May not always be Cost effective the study said. It said some service members Are reassigned within the theater before they Complete their initial overseas tour and then Are required to serve Only the remainder of that initial tour in the new location. There will be instances where the nature of the service member s duties dictate that he or she should serve a Shorter tour length at the gaining location the study said. But these should be the exception and not the service members seeking exceptions still would have to serve a minimum of the equivalent of two unaccompanied Tours before being reassigned from the theater the stud said
