European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - April 18, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 26 the stars and stripes Friday april 18, 1986 a photo Peter Mcnab of the . Left and West German Andreas Niederberger. Action during yanks 9-2 win tuesday Sweden stuns . 5-2 in world hockey play Moscow a Sweden jolted the United states 5-2, and the favored soviet Union remained unbeaten with a 4-1 Victory Over West Germany wednesday night in the world hockey championships. In afternoon games Canada routed Poland 8-2 and Finland tied wingless Czecho Slovakia 1-1. The swedes gave the americans a Speed skating lesson Halfway through the match but later the americans regrouped their puck handling and created some Golden scoring opportunities. Sweden grabbed a 3-0 Lead Midway through the second period. Kenneth Andersson and Andreas Ledebrink scored in the first period. Thomas Steen a late Arri Val from the Winnipeg jets of the National hockey league got the third at 6 30 of the second period on a Power play. The jets had been eliminated from the nil playoffs. Then within a Span of two minutes the hard charging americans exploded with goals from collegian Brett Hull of Minnesota Duluth son of former hockey great Bobby Hull at 15 51 and Phil Houseley of the Buffalo sabres at 17 45. Our destiny is still in our hands said . Coach Dave Paterson after the second . Defeat. All we have to do is beat the canadians and the czechs and i think that would be enough to reach the e concessions threaten to move Canada and the americans have 2-2 won lost records for four Points in the round Robin standings and Are tied for fourth place. Sweden is second with six Points and a 3-1 record. The top four teams gain the medal round. The canadians and americans beat the West germans and the poles but lost to swe Den and Finland. They play each other Sun Day and also have to face the powerful soviets and the defending world Champion czechs. The first place soviets aiming for their 20th title handled West Germany easily to boost their record to 4-0 for eight Points. Czechoslovakia got its first Point of the tourney in a 1-1 draw against the powerful finnish squad. It was the first tie in 16 matches played so far at the championships. The finns Are 3-1 and in third place with five Points. The last place czechs with an 0-3-1 re Cord have been virtually eliminated from the medal round. The last time Czechoslovakia failed to qualify for the medal round was in 1956. Canada behind the goal ending of Kelly Hrudney of the new York islanders outclassed sagging Poland As Tony Tanti of the Vancou ver canucks scored twice. Kirk Muller Craig Redmond Mark Hardy Brent Sutler Dave Taylor and Mike Bullard were the other marksmen for the canadians. Seattle a Seattle supersonics owner Barry Ackerley is threatening to move his Aba club to another City if he can t get major lease concessions from the City for use of the Seattle coliseum. He made the threat in a letter to Seattle City councilwoman Jeanette Williams. The letter written last thursday and received Friday was made Public by Williams on wednesday. For its part the City must understand that we cannot and will not continue to lose Large sums of Money on the supersonics in Seattle As Long As there Are alternative Sites in other cities Ackerley said in his letter. He gave City government until sept. 1 to tear up the sonics old lease and write a new one. But general manager Lenny Wilkens denied the sonics owner was threatening to move anywhere. Or. Ackerley has never threatened to move the team anywhere he said. Asked to explain what Ackerley meant by alternative Sites in other cities Wil kens replied i think or. Ackerley was trying to let them know they have to do something to better the conditions of the coliseum. That s All there is to Wilkens said he has had some talks with the coliseum about the sonics getting a new lease. But we never have made any threats he said. Ackerley who purchased the sonics from original owner Sam Schulman before the Start of the 1984-85 season asked the City for free rent for three seasons. This year the sonics moved Back to the 14,200-seat Seattle coliseum where they played their first 11 years. They played their other seven seasons in the 40,172-seat kingdom. Williams pointed out that the City s con tract with the sonics for the use of the Seattle coliseum had nine years left to run through 1996. I think that basically we have a fair contract and it is a contract that is Compa Rable to other contracts across the country she said. I might Point out that the City expended a Large sum of Money $5.8 Mil lion in order to refurbish the Seattle coliseum to get it ready for the sonics to play in it Williams is chairwoman of the Seattle City Parks and Public grounds committee which oversees the Seattle Center Complex where the coliseum is located. Williams said the City Council probably will meet with mayor Charles Royer to Dis cuss Ackerley s letter. I Don t want to go beyond that right now she said. But we believe we have a valid in his letter Ackerley asked for free rent for three seasons and pointed out that the sonics invested nearly $1 million in the Seattle coliseum. That s True but most of that Money was for a new scoreboard that the sonics wanted Williams said. Ackerley a local businessman whose company owns billboards and television and radio stations across the nation called on the City to guarantee 4,500 parking spaces for game nights and to make sub Stantial capital improvements in the coliseum. The parking Money would go to the sonics. He also demanded a reasonable share of Concession Revenue because the sonics now receive nothing. Ackerley said he believes the manage ment of the coliseum should be a joint Ven Ture Between the City and the sonics. The sonics won the Aba championship during the 1978-79 season and set an All time Aba regular season record with an average attendance of 21,725 during the 1979-80 season. The sonics averaged 8,032 fans in the coliseum this season after averaging 7,399 in the kingdom during the 1984-85 sea son. They posted 31-51 records and missed the playoffs the past three seasons. Oakland to ask High court to Send la. Raiders Back Oakland Calif. Up the City Council has voted to finance a Legal Battle in . Supreme court to Force the nation Al football league s raiders franchise Back from los Angeles. Council members approved by a 6-3 vote a proposal by mayor Lionel Wilson that the City continue its Battle in the supreme court. The City s efforts within the state ended when the California supreme court ruled that Oakland s eminent Domain efforts violated Federal Commerce Law. The decision came weeks after City officials held a Public hearing on the matter and after Legal advisers were consulted. Public opinion was against continuing the Case but Wilson said our course is right and i am confident we will prevail. In essence our Effort is on behalf of All communities throughout America the mayor said. It is to protect sports fans from teams that accept the loyalty and sup port of fans but abandon these fans As soon As it appears that they can make greater profits City attorney Richard Winnie said eco nomic concerns were a key Factor in the decision to Appeal. The raiders accounted for $40 million a year to this Community in direct and Indi rect benefits Winnie said. If the City Council had decided against an Appeal Oakland would have been forced to reimburse the raiders owners for All Legal fees they incurred during the last six years about $6 million to Date. Usel owners vow Nof to drop $ j .32 billion lawsuit Orlando Fla. A United states football league club owners vowed wednes Day to go through with their $1.32 billion anti Trust suit against the National football league and not to take part in any settlement discussions until the trial is concluded. The owners action was announced by commissioner Harry usher after a meeting of representatives of the eight teams and league officials. Usel owners unanimously agreed not to entertain any settlement discussion or offers from the nil usher said in a statement adding that the decision was reached after hearing a report from the league s attorneys. Nil owners last month reaffirmed their decision to fight the suit and there has been no indication that the older league has at tempted to Settle the Case out of court. The trial is scheduled to begin in Federal court in new York on May 12 and is expected to last eight weeks. The three year old league which is switching to a fall schedule this year after having played Only in the Spring and sum Mer contends that the nil by contracting with All three major to networks had blocked it out of making a television Deal. The suit filed in 1984, also charges the nil of illegally monopolizing Access to football players officials and stadiums
