Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Friday, July 1, 1988

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Friday, July 1, 1988

   European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 1, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes Friday july 1,1988 1 St of military Bank fee increases initiated  or i. In ,. ,. By Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau Stuttgart charges for foreign currency Exchange will Rise slightly at military Banks in Europe Friday in accordance with changes the defense department announced in May. The Bank also will begin charging a $ 1 Check cashing fee for non account holders. The department said in May it was inaugurating those charges and others to offset operating losses and modernize services. The foreign currency sales charge was 0.75 percent but will increase to 1.25 percent at military banking facilities in five european countries. In Germany the increase is Likely to Cost a banking customer an extra pfennig for each Dollar converted into Marks. The currency Exchange charge will take effect immediately at merchants National Bank Community Bank ing outlets in Greece the Netherlands and West Ger Many Bank senior vice president Robert j. Schindler said thursday. He said the $1 Check cashing charge will begin monday. Robert j. Davies first vice president of american express Bank ltd., said his Bank s 18 offices in the United kingdom and one office in Iceland will put the changes into effect immediately. Military Bank officials Are planning to increase checking account charges later this month after giving customers 21 Days notice. Those checking account holders who Don t use direct Deposit for paychecks or keep a minimum balance of $300 in their account can expect monthly charges of $5, instead of the current $4. The defense department plans to require its three overseas banking contractors to keep cancelled checks rather than returning them to customers. Customers who request photocopies of individual checks will recharged according to army col. Richard e. Darcy acting comptroller at the . European come in Stuttgart. The charge is expected to be about $1 per Check photocopy. The changes Are the result of recommendations Inan 18-month Pentagon study of overseas banking. News updates ban on fishing lifted Bern Switzerland a the government on wednesday lifted a ban on fishing in Lake Lugano thelast health measure still in Force after the 1986 chernobyl nuclear Accident. Recent tests showed radioactivity in fish in the Southern Lake had dropped to a Safe level the Swiss Interior ministry said. Fishing banned since septem Ber 1986, will be allowed starting july 9. Levels of radioactive cerium inthe fish were nearly 100 times the current level after the disaster atthe nuclear Plant in the soviet Union the ministry said. Soccer fans trial Stuttgart a a Juve Nile court on wednesday sentenced two British soccer fans Toto weeks in jail in connection with a Drunken attack on four ital Ian fans during the european soc cer championships. But a court spokesman said themen were freed because they had already spent 19 Days in jail await ing trial. Court officials identified themen As Gary Webb 19, and Ste Ven Peckham 18, both of Kent. According to testimony in therase the men were among a group of 10 British fans who attacked four italian fans while they were walking in downtown Stuttgart. No smoking policy goes into effect today on Canadian military flights by Joseph Owen Stuttgart Bureau a total smoking ban on Canadian Mil itary flights was scheduled to take effect Friday officials said. The forces air come in Winnipeg announced the ban about a month ago said air Force it. Col. Bill Carruthers Canad an forces Europe senior staff officer for personnel. We knew it was coming. They had an interim policy Banning smoking on Domestic flights in Canada the problem being that they were usually Short flights Carruthers said thursday. Smoking regulations on military flights used to be no More restrictive than those on commercial flights pipe and Cigar smoking was prohibited and cigarette smoking was banned during takeoffs and landings. The forces implemented the no smoking Rule on flights in Canada last december As Well As prohibiting smoking in All forces land vehicles. The smoking ban on All military flights takes effect just three Days after parliament approved Bills Bannin smoking in work places or in transportation regulated by the Federal govern ment and Banning All Domestic tobacco advertisements by 1993. In concurrence with Treasury boar regulations the Canadian forces plan to ban smoking starting Jan. 1 in All Mili tary buildings except in designated sections of restaurants and cafeterias. A cur rent interim policy limits smoking in military buildings to designated smoking areas. The impending ban will require Many forces members virtually to refrain from smoking for most of the Day even if they step outdoors because Canadia military regulations prohibit uniformed troops from smoking in Public. Chief warrant officer George d. Robertson a pipe smoker who gave up cigarettes several years ago said the smoking ban on Domestic military flights Proba Bly was not much of an irritant be cause those flights Are so Short. But the regular trans Atlantic flights from Ca Nadian forces base Lahr to Ottawa and to forces base Trenton in Ontario last seven hours or More and Robertson said he misses the pipe on such Long flights. Even in the office he said i still Fin myself reaching for that pipe All the time then realizing i can t  Robertson a staff officer with the of military engineers in Lahr said he believes the gradual increase in smoking restrictions is causing Many smokers in the forces to reconsider their habit. I think everyone has entertained thoughts obviously of quitting smoking altogether he said adding later i guess the non smokers Are. On a Roll. Idon t doubt that they will continue to provide pressure on  . Offers Reward for information on killers of military attache in Athens Franks to take command of old Ironsides division Ansbach West Germany . Frederick m. Franks or. Will assume command of the 1st army div july 14,according to a division spokesman. Franks who comes to the old Iron sides division in Ansbach from the Pentagon s operational plans and interoperability directorate replaces maj. Gen. Edwin s. Leland jr., who commanded the division for the last two years. Leland will be promoted to lieutenant general during the change of command ceremony. He has been assigned ase com chief of staff in Stuttgart the spokesman said. Airman found dead of gunshot wound Sembach a West Germany a 23-year-old airman was found dead of a gunshot wound at about 3 . Thursday at her Home in to Husfeld. The victim was assigned to the 66th trans so at Sembach a said it. Les Carroll a base spokesman. The woman s identity was withheld pending notification of her family. The air Force office of special investigations is investigating the death. No other details were available.  Mediterranean Bureau the . Government thursday announced a Reward of up to a half Mil lion dollars for information leading to the apprehension and conviction of the killers of Navy capt. William e. Nordeen. The 51-year-old Nordeen the Mili tary attache to the american embassy in Greece was killed in a Northern Athens suburb tuesday morning when a powerful bomb planted in a car blew his Armor plated Auto off the Road As he drove to work. Nordeen had planned to retire in August after30 years in the Navy. The Reward announced simultaneously by the state department in Athens and Washington is for information leading to the apprehension and effective prosecution and punish ment of those responsible for the killing. The amount of the Reward up to$500,000, will be determined by the value of the information received a embassy spokeswoman in Athens said. The Reward announcement condemned the killing calling it a sense less and brutal terrorist act. According to the announcement in formation received in connection with the Reward will be handled confidentially and the identities of informants will be protected. Anyone with information regarding Nordeen s murder is asked to Contact the nearest american embassy or consulate. The Reward is part of the . Government s counter terrorism program which was authorized by the 1984 act to combat International  legislation according to the spokeswoman empowers the Secretary of state to pay rewards for certain in formation regarding acts of International terrorism. Although rewards have been offered several times none have been paid she said. The greek terrorist group novem Ber 17 on wednesday claimed responsibility for the car bombing. In a statement published in a left win Gathens newspaper the group said it would attack More americans until the last turkish Soldier leaves Cyprus and the last american Soldier leave sour  dutch to try no charged with murder utrecht Netherlands is a Safe sergeant charged with the Mur Der and dismemberment of his turkish wife cannot be handed Over to . Mili tary authorities to stand trial a dutch court ruled wednesday. Sgt. Charles d. Short 34. Of the 32ndtac fighter so at Oesterberg a has been in the custody of dutch police since Early april after confessing to the murder of his wife Esin has Turk 31. Short allegedly hacked her body int pieces stuffed the remains into plastic bags and dumped them along a deserted Roadside near a Dike about 35 Miles from the base. If tried in a military court Short could face the death penalty which is banned under dutch Law. The air Force sergeant petitioned the court to be tried in hol land. Last month a District court in the Hague ordered dutch authorities to obtain guarantees that the sergeant would not be executed if he were handed Over sex legislator owner of newspapers Dies Vallejo Calif. A Luther , a former newspaper owner and state senator has died at the age of 93. Gibson was the owner or part owner of several newspapers and represented Vallejo and Benicia in the legislature from 1948 to 1968. To . Officials. . Authorities could not give such guarantee. This set the stage for wednes Day s court ruling Robert Behling a Public prosecutor in utrecht said thurs Day. Behling said Short currently is under eing a psychiatric examination at utrecht Hospital. He will be tried on charges of murder and manslaughter and if convicted on the murder charge could face life in prison Behling said. However Behling added in Holland life sentences Are Seldom  the maximum sentence for Man Slaughter in the country is 15 years. Behling said he expects the trial to begin in july  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade