European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 1, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Friday july 1988 the stars and stripes Page 7 sexual harassment pervasive study finds Washington a sexual harassment is widespread within the Federal government and Cost a estimated $267 million mostly in lost productivity Over a recent two year period a report said wednes Day. The . Merit systems Protection Board an inde pendent quasi judicial Agency said 42 percent of women and 14 percent of men who responded to its Survey said they experienced some form of sexual harassment from May 1985 to May 1987. That figure was virtually identical to the findings of the 1980 Survey in which 42 percent of women and 15 percent of men said they had been harassed. I Don t think the Federal government is somehow a hotbed of sexual harassment that stands put from Theresa of the country this is a problem in the rest of the country John m. Palguta the project supervisor said in an interview. Sexual harassment is still a pervasive costly and systemic problem within the Federal workplace the report said. However it noted that those surveyed generally did not consider the problem any worse in the Federal government than in the private sector. The Survey was sent in March 1987 to a representative Sample of about 13,000 full time permanent Feder Al workers 8,523 employees responded. Palguta said the Survey was carefully checked tomake sure those who responded were representative and did not for example represent a High percentage Gao hits plan to have nuclear plants on bases Washington a a program to locate Small nuclear Power plants at air Force bases around the country was. Ill conceived and suffered from serious management problems con Gress was told on wednesday. Keith o. Fultz of the general accounting of fice testified to a House government operation subcommittee that the four year program Cost the taxpayers about $3.75 million before it was terminated in May 1987. We believe the project was ill conceived lacked continuity in management and never obtained the degree of management support Essary to continue Fultz said. The project was prompted by the air Force desire to provide bases with auxiliary Power sup plies that would be More secure against disruption in the event of natural disasters sabotage terrorism or wartime attack. Rep. Mike Synar d-okla., chairman of the sub committee on the environment Energy and natural resources said that while such concern was understandable the logical approach would seem to Call for assessing All the options and choosing the one Best suited to each individual instead Doe the department of Energy pressed ahead with a plan to put cloned mini nukes at bases around the country at a Cost which could ultimately approach $20 billion he said. As a Start the program envisioned locating 10 megawatt reactors at seven bases tinker fab Okia. Mcclellan fab Calif. Kelly fab Texas Robbins fab a. Hill fab Utah Mountain Home fab Idaho and Shemya fab Alaska. Initial work on the project was done at los Alamos National Laboratory for Doe s office of defense programs. Then before the los Ala mos feasibility study was completed the project was reassigned to Doe s office of nuclear in Force responsibility for the project also was shifted from an office at Tyndall fab fla.,to another at boiling fab in Washington . Fultz senior associate director of the Gao resources Community and economic development division told the subcommittee that de spite the time and Money spent the program made Little Progress toward its intended he said the Gao a congressional watchdog Agency viewed the project As ill conceived be cause the Choice and feasibility of using nuclear Power was never clearly established and documented prior to the decision to proceed with the of people who had reported problems. The Survey found that the state department had the highest percentage 52 percent of women respondents who said they experienced some form of uninvited sexual attention. The veterans administration had the highest percentage of men respondents 21 Don t think the Federal government is somehow a hotbed. This is a problem in the rest of the country John m. Palguta Survey supervisor percent claiming sexual harassment. The department of health and human services had the lowest percentage of women respondents who claimed harassment 29 percent and Nasa had the lowest percentage of men who said they were harassed 10 percent. A wide Range of behaviour was considered to be sex Ual harassment. It was generally viewed As uninvited and unwanted attention including letters Telephone Calls or materials of a sexual nature touching sexually suggestive looks or gestures pressure for sexual favo isor Oates sexual jokes or questions actual or attempted assault or most frequently experienced Type of uninvited attention is unwanted sexual teasing jokes remarks or questions the report said. The report called conservative its estimate that sexual harassment Cost the government an estimated $267 million during the two year period. The figures represent the Cost of replacing employees who left their jobs $36.7 million paying sick leave to employees who missed work $26.1 million and reduced individual and work group productivity $204.5 million. Women suffering harassment were Likely to be work ing in a non traditional Job in a predominantly male environment have some College education be single or divorced and Between the Ages of 20 and 44. Male victims were More Likely to be divorced or separated age 20 to 44, in clerical or trainee positions in a pre dominantly female work group. The Board said victims Are most often harassed by co workers and by people of the opposite sex. Twenty two percent of male victims however reported in the 1980 Survey that they were harassed by one or Moremen. The question was not asked in the 1987 Survey. Only 5 percent of both female and male victims said they took some kind of formal action usually in the form of requesting an investigation by the employing Agency. The primary reason for not taking action was that Many victims saw no need to resolved the prob Lem through informal action or simply resigned them selves to tolerating the behaviour the report said. British Man being held for role in possible copter Sale to Iran Miami a customs agents have arrested a British Man who allegedly schemed with the iranian ambassador to Spain to illegally ship 10 military Type helicopters to Iran authorities said wednesday. The arrest of Colin Breeze has apparently ended attempts to lure other conspirators into the country said Patrick o Brien head of the . Customs service Here. But he said agents suspect the operation was part of a larger network. We Are continuing the investigation to look for diversions of military equipment to Iran o Brien said but refused to give other details. Breeze a 33-year-old British citizen was held with out Bond in the metropolitan correctional Center South of Miami after the Federal government declared him a risk of flight. He is accused of trying to smuggle 10 Sikorsky s-36 helicopters to Iran by arranging to have them sold to european company secretly owned by the iranian government o Brien said.. Law forbids exporting arms without a permit. Iran s ambassador to Spain was helping arrange the Deal and intended to take a Cut from the $30 million Sale to his own government said o Brien. The 10 Sikorsky helicopters were originally sold tothe jordanian air Force in 1979 and 1980. Six were later traded Back to Sikorsky but remained in Jordan and All 10 were for Sale at $675,000 each. Sikorsky spokesman Bob Stangarone in Stratford conn., confirmed that the company owned the six Heli copters but said it had never dealt with Breeze. The s-36 is a military Type helicopter said o Brien. They Are basically a troop Carrier a civilian version of the Blackhawk. These things Are great Over the May the affidavit said Breeze approached a confidential informant for the customs service about buy ing the helicopters for Iran. The informant advised customs and conversations Between the two were taped by the conversations some of which took place in Spain and some in the United kingdom Breeze told the informant the ultimate purchaser was Iran. Breeze further advised that negotiations for the Pur Chase were being conducted through a Spanish National middleman and the iranian embassy in Madrid Cus Toms agent Thomas Bailey said in the affidavit. Last week Breeze told the informant that the Sale agreement was on its Way by diplomatic Pouch from Madrid to Iran for final approval. But he later said twas held up because the ambassador was insisting on a larger share of the profits. Frankly it s Standard in these iranian cases Saido Brien. They raise their Price at the last Breeze was arrested tuesday at the fort Lauderdale Airport because authorities were afraid he was about to leave the country. He was taken before a . Magis trate and was scheduled for a full hearing Friday. Bakker claims $100 million backing Columbia . A Jim Bakker said wednesday he has received a $100 million line of credit to buy Back the failing pal ministry but he refused to name the Lender. We Are ready to go Forward with Earnest negotiations Bakker told reporters outside . Bankruptcy court adding he wants to keep pal s Christian Retreat intact. Pal trustee . Red Benton said he has receive four offers to buy the ministry one for $200 million. Benton said that i Bakker s proposal is substantiated he will be considered along with everyone meanwhile judge Rufus Reynolds gave initial approval to pal s reorganization plan which Calls for Sale of the 2,300-acre heritage Usa religious them Park in fort Mill. He ordered the plan sent to creditors for a vote next month. Benton Hopes to decide which proposed buyer to present to the court by mid August. One proposed buyer of heritage Usa is sports entrepreneur George Shinn. Benton said Shinn has not made a Cash offer. Shinn who owns a new National basketball association franchise and a minor league baseball team m Charlotte n.c., wants to build a sports Complex at pal while allowing the ministry functions to continue. The appearance of Bakker and his wife Tammy sensationalized an otherwise routine bankruptcy hear ing. They received a standing ovation when they entered the courtroom. Bakker told reporters he has four separate plans to restore the ministry but refused to elaborate on Ryan Hovis who represents Bakker has said one proposal is for Bakker to rent the heritage Gran hotel and adjacent water Park from their new owner while buying broadcast time on the pal television net work. The reorganization plan outlines the Sale of heritage Usa to pay creditors and the formation of a debt free non profit ministry. The plan would give lifetime partners major contributors who were promised free lodging and other benefits for every $1,000 donation the option of relinquishing their claims. If they did so they would become voting members of the new heritage ministries inc. Reynolds ordered ballots sent out to creditors july15 and set an aug. 24 deadline to confirm or reject the plan. Pal. With debts of up to $ 130 million and assets of $160 million filed for reorganization in june 1987
