European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - July 20, 1988, Darmstadt, Hesse Wednesday july 20, 1988 the stars and stripes Page wilderness fires burning in West Alaska by the associated press firefighters armed with Little More than picks and shovels returned to prime grizzly Bear territory in a Northwestern Wyoming wilderness area monday tonight a growing 13,500-acre wildfire. To the North 1,300 firefighters worked to contain More than 50 fires that had consumed 675,000 acres of Alaska wilderness by monday afternoon and Crews i Colorado and California were trying to control flames that had consumed More than 20,000 acres. About 400 Wyoming firefighters on the Blaz dubbed Mink Creek which was sparked by lightning in the Bridger Teton National Forest a week ago were working primarily without Benefit of mechanized equipment because of wilderness area restrictions. A Bureau of land management spokeswoman in Alaska said a fire in the North Central part of that stat had consumed up to 200,000 acres by monday afternoon. A Blaze in the Selawik National Refuge in the Northwest Corner of the state had nearly doubled in size to 6,000 acres and jumped the Koyukuk River. Fires ignited by lightning have set nearly 20,000acres ablaze in Northwestern Colorado officials said and forecasts called for More of the same. West of Craig colo., about 100 firefighters and Sev eral slurry bombers battled a Range fire on 12,000 acres and had it nearly contained. Twelve other fires in the area had consumed an additional 3,000 acres. A 1,500-acre fire near Rifle colo., occupied 160 fire fighters three helicopters and three slurry bombers. In California firefighters used bulldozers to carve Amile Long Swath across a Ridge to halt the spread of a 1,600-acre wildfire in los padres National Forest. More than 400 firefighters battled the flames As Prepa rations were made to Widen the bulldozed Buffer by Burn ing off some of the 100-year-old stands of Brush. The Wyoming fire was burning in some 100 million Board feet of dead Timber that was downed by a rare High Altitude Tornado a year ago. Louis and Christina Locasto leave a hearing on the custody of their daughter. Father denied custody of baby born on plane Belmont Calif. A the Newborn baby found abandoned in a jetliner restroom will remain in san Mateo county custody at least until Friday a juvenile court commissioner ruled monday rejecting the father Effort to obtain custody. The parents of 5-Day-old Alyssa Frances Locasto Louis and Christin Locasto of new York City attended the closed hearing but declined to talk with reporters. Christina Locasto 24, has pleaded innocent to a felony charge of child endangerment. Vicki Yeley Louis Locasto s Law yer said the couple decided Over the weekend to remain together and that decision was one reason Why juvenile court commissioner Patricia Brese decided against placing the child in her father s custody. Or. Locasto is very much in love with his Little daughter Yeley is also very much in love with his wife. The family has made a decision to stay together. They Are determined to remain the commissioner asked both to casts and a court appointed attorney representing the baby to return to court Friday after the san Mateo county department of social services compiles a report on possible Homes for then the couple will be allowed to visit their daughter under the county s supervision. Mrs. Locasto is accused of delivering the baby in the bathroom of a san Francisco bound United airlines Jet shortly before Takeoff from new Ark n.j., last week and leaving the child under the sink wrapped in a Towel. She was released from custody after posting $50,000 As bail. If c9nvicted, she faces up to six years in prison. The infant 8 pounds 9 ounces a birth was released from a Hospital on saturday and will remain in a Foster Home until at least Friday. The Locasto who have been mar ried since 1986, had planned to Vaca Tion in California with their other two children when the incident occurred. Military hospitals get new abortion limits Washington a starting oct. 1, doctors at military hospitals May not perform abortions unless the life of the Mother is in danger even if the patient pays for the operation according to a memorandum obtained by the associated press monday. The june 21 memo signed by or. Wil Liam Mayer assistant defense Secretary for health affairs ends the practice under which for the past nine years doctors have been allowed to perform so called prepaid abortions at military medical treatment facilities in certain countries in which Quality medical care May not be locally doctors have been barred since 1979from performing abortions paid for by the government unless the life of the Mother is endangered. Mayer s memo said that the informal practice of performing so called prepaid abortions in very limited circumstance does not violate the Legal but the memo changed the policy not ing that it might suggest insensitivity to the spirit of the congressionally enacted policy of withholding government involvement in the provision of Abor the policy is that the performance of prepaid abortions in military treatment facilities is not authorized. Effective oct. 1, 1988," the memo said. The number of abortions performed i military facilities dropped sharply in 1980 after Congress passed Laws barring the use of Federal funds for unrestricted abortions according o a Pentagon audit released last november. The number dropped from 10,829 in1977 and 9,800 in 1978 to 304 in 1979 and 88 in 1980. In 1985, the most recent year for which figures were available the number was 48. Judge rules against Banning indecent dial a porn Calls los Angeles a a judge ruled monday that Federal regulators May not ban indecent messages from phone lines giving a dial a porn service half a Legal Victory. But . District judge Wallace Tashima held off on deciding whether the Federal communications commission May shut off More explicit messages which fall under the Legal definition of Tashima issued a partial ruling from the Bench after a hearing on a lawsuit against a new government Law Banning sexually oriented Telephone messages. The Law bans both indecent and obscene messages. The suit filed in june by Sable communications of California challenges the Law As being Overly Broad and vague harming free speech and failing to pro vide the least restrictive Way to keep Chil Dren from using the services. Sable a affiliate of new York based Carlin communications is one of the country s larg est dial a porn providers. Pending the outcome of this lawsuit and another one in new York the government had agreed to delay enforcing the Law until july 25, an attorney for the department of Justice said. The Law was to take effect july 1. Sable attorney Richard Simon declined to comment after monday s hearing except to note that the first part of the ruling was in his client s favor. Tashima said he would Rule on the second part of Sable s Challenge by the end of the week. In the stars and stripes 40 years ago today. July 20, 1948 Koiichi Tokuda Japan s top communist was seriously wounded by a homemade hand grenade As he addressed a rally in Saga Japan. 30 years ago today. July 20, 1958 nine american soldiers released from East German Captivity said they were Well treated with no threats of physical harm during their six weeks detention behind the Iron curtain. 20 years ago today. July 20, 1968 James Earl Ray the accused Assassin of or. Martin Luther kingjr., was returned from England and taken by armoured car to a cell in the Shelby county jail in Memphis Tenn. J 0 years ago today. July 20, 1978 president Carter cancelled the Sale of a computer to the soviet news Agency Tass and imposed limitations on the Sale of Oil development equipment to Russia
