European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 25, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Wednesday january 25, 1989 the stars and stripes Page 3 quake survivors sought in mass of mud of of to / a it. _ _ i a a Moscow a rescuers probed with bulldozers and shovels tuesday for survivors in the soggy mass of dirt and Rock an earthquake sent crashing into three Cen trial asian Mountain villages but searchers expected to find Only bodies. The official Tass news Agency estimated1,000 people were killed in a slide loosened by the temblor As it struck a Rich agricultural Region of the soviet Republic of Kadzhi kist an before Dawn monday. There is Little Hope of finding survivors because of the flood of dirt and mud Erkin Kasimov a spokesman forthe Republic s foreign ministry said tuesday. But while there is any Hope the rescuers will keep official reports said More than 100people were hospitalized in the Tadzik capital of Dushanbe 20 Miles fro where the soviet Union s second devastating earthquake in two month caused the most destruction. Vitaly Zhukov Deputy head of the re Public s official news Agency said 11 people died during the night in Dushanbe hospitals. The communist party newspaper pravda said conditions were right for the mudslide because of heavy snows Fol Lowed by a thaw in Hills overlooking the stricken villages of Shatora Oculi Bolo and Oculi Poyen. The thaw moistened the earthen Walls of canals that stretched Down to the Vil Lages. When the quake hit the Rich Earth loosened and pravda said it moved in a huge mass onto the there is a danger of new mudslides in similar places in the event of a new natural blow the paper said. Pravda said previous experience had shown that the soviet Union is careless in building construction especially i Rural areas. But it did not specifically blame poor construction for any of the deaths in the area about 1,800 Miles Southeast of Moscow. Poorly constructed apartment build Ings have been blamed for Many of the estimated 25,000 deaths in the Earth quake that struck Northwestern Armenia dec. 7. That quake registered 6.9 on the Richter scale. The . Geological Survey said Mon Day s quake measured 5.4 on the scale. Rescue workers Laboured tuesday under sunny skies in 50-degree tempera Tures in the three adjacent villages dig Ging with shovels bulldozers cranes and earthmover said Kasimov of the Republic s foreign ministry. He said the quake and mudslide also damaged farms Homes schools stores and administrative buildings outside the three villages. Zhukov said Many of the surviving women and children had been evacuated but some remained behind i Hopes of finding relatives. Rescue workers put up round reinforced tents and built Small wooden huts for survivors and worked to restore communications and electricity to the area he said. Food and fuel were also sent to the scene Tass said. Zainuddin Nas Reddino editor in chief of the Tadzik news Agency Esti mated about 600 people were killed in Shatora almost the entire 40-second temblor was entered 20 to 30 Miles Southwest of Dushanbe acuity of More than 460,000 people Tass said. The area is in the Fertile Gissart District a Vineyard and livestock raising enter. The earthquake unhinged a Wall of loess at least five Miles wide that buried Oculi Bolo and much of Shatora Kasi mov said. Officials said most of the Vic Tims were asleep at the time. Residents of Oculi Poyen apparently roused in time fled in panic before the slide could reach their Homes Kasimov said from Dushanbe. In Oculi Bolo and Oculi Poyen everything is destroyed All the Homes the schools the hospitals and clinics the stores Nas Reddino said. Tass reported that Oculi Bolo is a Heap of rescuers in Shatora use a Crane and Bare hands to Hunt for the living and dead. Feb chief May Bock limits on semiautomatic arms soles Washington up Fri director William sessions said in an interview printed tuesday that there May be some rationale for limiting sales of semiautomatic weapons such As the one used in last week s California schoolyard massacre. Sessions referred to the five asian american Chil Dren killed during recess Jan. 17 at the Cleveland elementary school in Stockton Calif. Patrick Purdy 24,attacked the school with an ak-47 assault Rifle wounding a teacher and 29 other children before fatally shooting himself with a pistol. Monday in Norfolk va., a Man armed with a Simi Lar ak-47 Rifle As Well As a pistol wounded two fellow employees at an Auto Dealership then holed up in the company s repair shop until police discovered he apparently had killed himself during a six hour siege officials said. We be had some tragic incidents where our own agents have been killed because of a Lack of hitting Power or killing Power of our own weapons and our own ammunition sessions acknowledged in an inter View in tuesday s Usa today. Where there seems to be no rationale for having those types of weapons for any purpose other than making War and killing people it would seem to me that there is some rationale for limitation of that Typ of weapon he said. Indeed the Stockton massacre has reignited a Lon debate about Banning semiautomatic assault weapons. Some gun dealers in California reported monday that gun buyers fearing a ban because of the schoolyard shooting Are buying the weapons so fast that the cannot keep up with the demand. I m All out said Dick Bash owner of combat arms in Castro Valley Calif. I can t keep the suckers in gun dealers in other cities including los Angeles also reported a run on ak-47s, a chinese made semiautomatic version of the automatic soviet made Rifle that was the Standard infantry weapon of communist forces in Vietnam. The semiautomatic ak-47 can fire about two rounds a second. At about $350 it is much less expensive than the Uzi. The ak-47 and Uzi can be modified illegally to fire fully automatically More than seven rounds a second. Sessions said his own Agency is coping with being outgunned. I have Given the Fri agents themselves eve though it s not in our budget the ability if they wish to privately Purchase certain types of weapon because there Are some who feel the need for a greater firepower and More efficient weapons he told the newspaper. Prince Charles visits Lockerbie to mend fences Lockerbie Scotland a Prince Charles came to Lockerbie on tuesday to Comfort the bereaved and mend fences with townspeople aggrieved by the Royal family s absence from a memorial service for victims of pan am flight 103. The visit by the heir to the throne was seen As a tacit admission by Buck Ingham Palace that it bungled its response to the dec. 21 tragedy. The Royal family has been sharply criticized for remarks made by Charles younger brother Andrew when he visited Lockerbie and by the absence of Royalty from the town s memorial serv ice on Jan. 4, which was attended by passengers families pan am staff and prime minister Margaret Thatcher. Charles 40, made no comment to reporters As he arrived in the Rural scottish Market town to tour talk to relatives and Lay a Wreath in memory of the 259 people aboard the Boeing 747and the 11 killed on the ground. Escorted by local officials he began his 90-minute visit by gazing into the Crater gouged into Sherwood Crescent by the Impact and explosion of the plane s fuel Laden wings. Wilted bouquets Lay by the Crater which has been scoured clean in a huge wreckage gathering operation run by crash investigators. The royals had been harshly chastised in the Media for staying away from the memorial service. When Charles visit was announced Robert Jardine vice chairman of the Lockerbie and District Community Council said the Prince would be courteously received but in All honesty the damage is David Adamson who lost his Home said after meeting Charles the visit was Good for the townspeople. It will help the Healing process Prince Andrew who visited locker Bie the morning after the crash Trig gered the controversy when he said in a Hasty Impromptu remark to to Cam eras it s very sad for the town but my deepest feelings go out to the people the families of those americans who died in the the rancor worsened when the Royal family having skipped the me Morial service announced tha Tcharles father Prince Philip would go to Japan for the funeral of Emper or Hirohito. The physical Impact of the crash which investigators say was caused by a bomb is still evident. Southbound lanes remain close Don the main Highway alongside the Crater. Adjacent Are the burned nutshells of houses. Of the 270 known dead 242 Bod ies have been recovered and All but two identified police said. No bodies have been found Indore than two weeks
