European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - January 27, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Page8 the stars and stripes Friday january 27,1989 a Diu today Swiss watch exports tick along at record Pace b1enne, Switzerland a exports of Swiss watches and watch movements Rose 16.4 percent last year to a record 5.05 billion Swiss francs $3.26 Bil lion an Industry federation said wednesday. Export volume Rose 3.8 percent in 1988 to 402 million pieces the Swiss watchmakers federation said. The federation said the difference Between the two percentage increase figures was Large because sales of High priced products Rose More quickly than sales another categories. Hong Kong was the Industry s top Market last Yea with imports totalling 905 million francs $584 Mil Liona 28.5-percent Rise. Sales in the United states the second biggest mar Ket fell 4.5 percent to 790 million francs $510 Mil lion because of the weak Dollar the federation said. Monument will Honor 30,000 of Stalin s victims Moscow a officials of the byelorussian Public plan to build a Monument to the estimated 30,000 victims of political executions carried out in Lorest during Josef Stalin s Rule a newspaper reported wednesday. The government daily Izvestia quoted Nina Mazama Deputy Premier of byelorussian As saying that 510 mass Graves have been found in the Kuropata area near the Republic s capital of Minsk. Masai said at least 30,000 people were buried at Kuropata Down from previous estimates of More than the mass executions were carried out by the secret police and a commission is trying to determine the motive for the slayings and the identities of the Vic Tims the official said. A Competition for the design of the Monument i being organized by the byelorussian culture ministry the state construction committee the Minsk City government and the unions of architects and artists. Greece decides to bolster counter terrorism Force Athens Greece up Greece announce wednesday that it was upgrading its counter terrorism unit As part of new measures adopted at an emergency Cabinet meeting. Prime minister Andreas Papandreou called his cab inet into session late tuesday after three Public prosecutors were attacked Over two weeks. The latest at tack occurred m9nday, when supreme court prosecutor Anastassiou Verna Dos was shot at Point Blank Range and killed. Government spokesman Sotiris Kostopoulos said the government has decided to hire More personnel for the counter terrorism service and give it better service will be Independent of the police will have specialized personnel and will be supplied with the latest equipment to help combat the growing threat of terror ism Kostopoulos said. 4 censors to be tried Over to showing of film Rome a a judge has ordered four govern ment censors to stand trial on obscenity charges for Clearing the Way for the to showing of the film "9 /2weeks," newspapers reported wednesday. The four were charged for having reduced the 18-year age limit for viewing the film in movie houses to 14, thus making it eligible to be shown on to. The commercial Canale 5 network showed the filming prime time dec. 16, 1987. The trial is set for March 8. Swedish combat plane could prove too costly Stockholm Sweden a Cost overruns i developing a new Home built combat plane May Force Sweden to buy a foreign aircraft probably american the nation s military chief said wednesday. Supreme commander Gen. Bengt Gustafsson said the government must allocate an additional 7 billion Kronor $ 1.2 billion to meet unexpected costs for Themuel Tirol Jas 39 Gripe. Each eos a id the like a prospects would be the americanfa-18 Hornet or the f-16. The Gripe swedish for Griffin is a combined fighter ground attack and reconnaissance plane last november it was disclosed that the first Stag of the project 140 planes involved a 16 percent Cost overrun. Honda rom ally of contras ambushed outside of Home Tegucigalpa Honduras a a general who helped the Reagan administration organize the Nicara Guan rebel forces in Honduras was ambushed an killed thursday officials and witnesses said. Gen. Gustavo Alvarez Martinez died of gunshot wounds near his Home in the capital s Florencia District said Salvador Lobo director of emergencies atthe state Hospital school. Witnesses said six gunmen waited for Alvarez Martinez outside his Home and poured machine gun fir into his car. The Driver also was killed and Alvarez Martinez s son in Law was wounded police said. One witness Alba Luz Guzman said the men intercepted me forced me to get out of my car then fled in my police later found the car. Radio America a local station said Anonymous Call ers claimed responsibility on behalf of the popular liberation forces a leftist group. Alvarez Martinez 56, was chief of the armed Force from 1982 to 1984 under the government of president Roberto Suazo Cordova. He was once considered the most powerful figure in Honduras and worked closely with the Reagan administration to set up the nicaraguan re Bels or contras in honduran base Camps. The shooting was the third assassination in the Tegucigalpa area this month. On Jan. 7, Veteran Contra military commander Manuel Adan Rugama Acevedo was shot and killed just outside the capital. On monday nicaraguan rebel radio blamed the popular liberation forces for the killing. Also monday two gunmen killed Carlos Diaz Lorenzana an attorney for reputed drug Baron Juan Ramon Matta whose extradition to the United state last year caused riots and a state of emergency. Lorenzana was slain As he entered his Home in the capital s Modelo District police said. Alvarez Martinez was a fanatic anti communist who frequently denounced the leftist sandinista govern ment of neighbouring Nicaragua. Human rights activists charged that at least 100 peo ple disappeared or were jailed illegally after Alvarez Martinez became chief of the armed forces in 1982. Skiers Hopes Down the Drain Hunt for flight 103 vict iltis v Scotland a police ended on wednesday the search for victims of the pan am flight 103 bombing with 17 bodies still missing out of the 270 people killed. Police also said a symbolic coffin would be lowered into a grave tuesday at a service for those victims still missing and presumed dead from the dec 21 attack on the Boeing 747. John Boyd Dumfries and Galloway chief Constable said the search carried out Over 845 Square Miles of scottish Countryside would Only be resumed in specific areas if it was thought necessary. The scale of the disaster has inevitably led to the conclusion that some of the victims May never be re covered he said. Inspector Mike Dean said police representatives visited relatives of the 17 missing last week to Tell them of the plans to Call off the search and hold the graveside service. He said seven of the missing were from the United mates three were from Hungary and seven were lock Erbie residents. The other 253 bodies have been identified and returned to their families. He said most of the relatives of the missing victims planned to come to tuesday s service where a Tombstone to remember All the victims will be erected Over the grave of the single coffin. The Tombstone donated by pan am will read in remembrance of All victims of the Lockerbie disaster who died on dec. 21,1988."
