European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - February 22, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes wednesday february 22,1989 Cave in kills 3 on Crew at Gold mine in Ontario Timmins Ontario a a Cave in at a Gold mine Shaft killed three miners in the North Eastern Ontario City of Timmins the mine Man Ager said. The three bodies were retrieved from a depth of 1,200 feet about five hours after monday s Accident said Robert Perry general manager of the Placer dome mine near the Quebec Border. One Miner in the four member Crew was above ground when the Cave in occurred and reported the others missing Perry said. Union and mine officials said they would con duct separate investigations into the cause of the Cave in. It was the second fatal Accident in a year at the mine which began operating in 1910. A worker was killed in May when he fell Down an Ore Chute. Soccer players fans Rescue ferry passengers Dhaka Bangladesh a players and spectators of a soccer match abandoned their game to save about 100 passengers of a ferry that Sank in northeastern Bangladesh witnesses and police said tuesday. The ferry carrying More than double its permitted capacity Sank near the Banks of the River Karala at Mah Singh about 110 Miles Northeast of Dhaka on monday. Most of the 22 players in the soccer match and hundreds of spectators who heard the screams of the passengers jumped into the River witnesses said. They rescued women and Chil Dren from the Hull of the sinking ferry. Almost All of the male passengers had already swum to safety. The passengers could survive because. The ferry Sank near the Bank and it took 30 min utes to sink a police officer at the scene said. There were no deaths or serious injuries he said. Car train Bridge urged to link Denmark Sweden Stockholm Sweden a officials from Sweden and Denmark recommended a car and train Bridge As the most Cost effective link Between the two countries. A joint report presented late monday Esti mated the Cost for the 10.6-mile Bridge would be at least 11 billion Kronor $1.7 billion. The study follows More than a Century of talks and studies on linking Sweden to the european continent. The project has been marred by Polit ical bickering and by economic and technical obstacles. The proposed Bridge would consist of two railway tracks and four car lanes. It would run from the outskirts of Malmo via the Island Salt Holm across the Oresund Straits to a Point out Side Denmark s International Airport South of Copenhagen. Finnish company to buy Wilson sporting goods Helsinki Finland a the Amer group of Finland monday announced it will acquire the leading american sporting goods manufacturer Wilson sporting goods co., for $200 million. The Deal is due to be completed within 30 Days Amer s chairman and chief executive offi cer Heikki Salonen said. We Are absolutely confident that the Deal will go through. Amer will have at least 99.7 percent ownership of Wilson while the remain ing 0.3 percent is still unclear Salonen told reporters. The Deal is Likely to be the third largest Over seas acquisition by a finnish company. In 1986 Amer acquired the Macgregor Golf company. With the acquisition of Wilson Amer would become a leading owner of sports equip ment manufacturers in the United states. The Amer group s major businesses Are car imports and sales graphics paper tobacco communications and Golf equipment. Balian says he was Given bad information Subic Bay naval facilities Philippines a a . Navy Captain testified tuesday he would have taken vietnamese refugees aboard his ship had he been correctly informed of How desperate they were. . Officials said the refugees later resorted to cannibalism to survive. Capt. Alexander Balian 48, of los Angeles has been on trial by Navy court martial since feb. 10 for Alleg edly failing to Render adequate assistance to More than 80 vietnamese refugees that his ship the Dubuque encountered in the South China sea on june 9. Thirty one of the refugees died after encountering the Dubuque and survivors resorted to cannibalism before they were rescued by filipino fishermen june 27 after 37 Days at sea . Officials said. His voice choked with emotion Balian testified that he ordered his executive officer it. Cmdr. Stanley Halter to investigate the refugee boat determine if it had a working engine and decide if it was seaworthy. I never got an indication about that engine so i said you got to know about that engine " he said. Finally the report came Back no engine and i surmised they had a Good Balian said he pressed Halter to describe the vessel s seaworthiness and was told they Felt they could make refugees it on their own if we gave them food and water which were provided. Balian said if he had known the desperate conditions aboard the vietnamese Craft there is no doubt in my mind i would Tow them to my Side and embark them. T lat s what i did on two previous Baliani i was relieved of command of the Dubuque in August lifter the vietnamese reported the incident to . Officials in the Philippines. On thursday Balian was acquitted of one of three charges i failing to Render assistance to a vietnamese who drowned. The defendant on tuesday also denied allegations that he ordered Crew members not to throw life rings to some of the vietnamese who swam toward the ship or to Shrike some of them from the ship s lines. He said he did order an interpreter to Tell swimmers to move away for fear they would be sucked into the ship s propellers. Balian also denied previous testimony by a Crew Merobe chief Petty officer Luis Llano that he had advised the vietnamese simply to follow the Sun to reach land. Balian said he ordered the vietnamese interpreter to give the refugees a navigational Chart and Mark their present position. Thousands stage protest against Bhopal settlement new Delhi India up thousands of women and children who survived the Bhopal Gas leak staged a sit in in front of the supreme court tuesday and shouted Justice has died to protest the $470 million settlement Between the Union Carbide corp. And the government. Union Carbide puts primary blame for the disaster on sabotage by a disgruntled Indian employee. The demonstration sponsored by the Bhopal women Gas victims front started As parliament began a three month session in which opposition Par ties plan to question prime minister Rajiv Gandhi s administration about the Accord. Opposition leaders victims rights groups newspaper editorials and survivors of the dec. 3, 1984, leak of lethal Gas from Union Carbide s now defunct pesticide Plant in Bhopal have condemned the settlement a insufficient. The government had been seeking $3 billion in damages from the .-based multinational company but last wednesday it agreed to the supreme court mediated settlement under which Union Carbide will pay the $470 million in return for a dismissal of All civil and criminal liability proceedings against it. Some 2,500 women and children who survived his tory s worst Industrial disaster arrived in new Delhi aboard two trains from Bhopal the capital of Adhya Pravesh state 375 Miles South of new Delhi. Those taking part in the organized protest marched through the City to the supreme court building where they squatted before the Gates. The Bhopal tragedy occurred when water leaked into an underground tank at the Union Carbide Plant reacting violently with 40 tons of Methyl is Cyanate a chemical used in pesticide production. A Bhopal Gas disaster protesters arrive in new Delhi. Mexico asks . To abandon ditch plan Mexico City a Mexico has asked the United states to abandon its plan to dig a ditch near san Diego along a four mile stretch of Border that drug smugglers and illegal immigrants now Cross in vehicles. . Officials have said the 8-Fopt-deep, 14-foot wide ditch was originally planned to improve drainage along the Border on the relatively Flat otay Mesa. But More recently they said it could also discourage narcotics traffickers and illegal aliens from crossing the Border in cars and trucks. On Friday . Immigration and naturalization service commissioner Alan Nelson said construction could begin within two months and should be completed by summer. In a statement late monday the foreign ministry asked the state department to abandon plans to dig the ditch and immediately begin a study of other alternatives that would permit a Quick and acceptable solution to the problem of floodwaters on the otay ministry officials reacted with Surprise in late Jan uary o news reports that one purpose of the planned ditch would be to deter drug smugglers and illegal immigrants. They said they had Only been told the ditch about 25 Miles Southeast of downtown san Diego was meant to improve drainage. The project has since been criticized by people on both sides of the Border. Some have likened it to the Berlin Wall and several mexican congressmen called it an unfriendly gesture. Immigration officials say the isolated otay Mesa is the most popular crossing Point for illegal immigrants along the 1,950-mile .-Mexico Border. About one third of the 1.2 million illegal Immi Grant seized in the United states last year were rounded us on the Mesa. Officials say up to 400 vehicles Are believed to Cross the Border illegally into san Diego each month
