European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - October 6, 1989, Darmstadt, Hesse Friday october 1989 the stars and stripes Page 9 Over Here Mannheim based a t. Alfredo Davila above is the organizer behind Relief efforts. At left pfc. Jerry Robinson and spec. Kelvin dial both of the 574th Supply and service co fold clothes for Hugo victims at a Spinglli Barracks warehouse. Americans abroad pitch in to Aid Hugo victims by Crystal Laureano staff writer Mannheim West Germany in less than a week a Mannheim sergeant mobilized a virtual army of volunteers to collect canned food boxes of clothing and Money for the victims of Hurricane Hugo in the United states and Caribbean. Sgt. Alfredo Davila overwhelmed by television and radio talks of Hugo s destruction Felt that Amer ican communities overseas also should be lending a hand in the Relief efforts. There arc so Many that have lost everything some have nothing left at All he said. And us Over Here we have so much. It docs not matter that we arc so far away. We can still care and do a lot to Davila began by pitching his idea to the Community sergeant major and the Mannheim director of personnel and Community activities it. Col. John Hartmann. The colonel was Happy to give the project the go ahead. And people really arc responding Hartmann said. It really Renews your Faith in with Community support behind him Davila went to friends and acquaintances including sgt. 1st class Angel Solo who controls warehouse space be longing to the 574th Supply and service co at spin Ell i Barracks. The 28th trans co in Mannheim also agreed to Supply trucks and Drivers to haul the goods. Davila who is from puerto Rico Hopes to arrange military air transportation of the clothing and canned food to Charleston fab s.c., and puerto Rico. Exchange service officials allowed the volunteers to set up collection Points at area Shoppe tics and Davila went to the streets and door to door to enlist enough helpers to Man the Sites daily through oct. 15. Davila a computer repairman with the 5l2ih main co has been spending Many of his Days and it does not matter that we Are so far away. We can still care and do a lot to sgt. Alfredo Davizia evenings working on the project since sept. 29. There is a lot of work to be done i can t do it by myself he said. It s going to take a lot of people working to get everything a major part of the work is going on at Spinelli Barracks where room in a warehouse was cleared for donations and volunteers arc sorting clothing by Type and size. The warehouse also is being made available to other communities that arc collecting for Hugo victims but Don t have storage space Accord ing to 1st it. Daniel d Amico the 574th executive of incr. So far military communities in Wiesbaden Stutt Gart Owci Brincken and Frankfurt have joined the Effort. Through the red Cross a Bank account for Hugo victim Relief has been opened at merchants National Bank. Funds collected will go to the National disaster Headquarters in Washington to be used for victims in the United states puerto Rico and the . Virgin islands of St. Croix St. Thomas and St. John. The Relief drive will continue through oct. 15, ending with a hispanic heritage month gala at the Mannheim Community sports Arena. Salsa bands disc jockeys and dance groups have agreed to per form for free and All proceeds will go to the Hugo fund. I would like to people from All Over Germany join in with us Davila said. I know we can t change everything but we can give help for those seeking additional information about the Hugo Relief drive can Call 1st it. D Amico or sgt. 1st class Solo at ets 380-6840 or 7695 or German civilian 0621-7306840 or 7307695. Donations can be made to the victims of Hurri Cane Hugo account number 481409300, at any Mer chants Bank Branch or american red Cross office. Teen to Aid in prosecution of Wilding suspects new York. A a teen Ager charged in the so called Wilding attack in Central Park pleaded guilty thursday to robbery and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors in Exchange for a one year jail sentence. The Deal Means Jermain Robinson 15, who will receive Youthful offender status could be called to testify against other youths who allegedly raped and battered a woman Jogger leaving her near death in the Park on april 19. Robinson pleaded guilty to first de Gree robbery before state supreme court Justice Thomas b. Galligan who set sentencing for dec. 14. The plea pertained to an attack on John Loughlin a 40-year-old banker who was knocked Down and had his radio stolen As he jogged around the Reservoir in the Park. During the 10-minute proceeding the judge named the six youths charged inthe attack on the woman Jogger and asked Robinson if he had joined those youths in attacking the Man. Yes sir Robinson responded. Galligan also warned the boy that if he failed to live up to the terms of the agreement he would face up to 10 years in prison. He also told him that if he got in trouble before sentencing the plea would stand but the promised sentence would not. Linda White Robinson s Mother was in court and the judge repeatedly asked the boy if his Mother was familiar with the terms of the Deal. Robinson said she was. Youthful offender status Means Robin son s record could eventually be wiped clean. Outside the courtroom Robinson s leg Alaid lawyer Elliot Cook said that the defendant is exceedingly remorseful and is trying to rectify a Temble situation. That s what motivated he said the plea was to satisfy seven counts of an indictment involving Robin son and his part in the Wilding rampage. Robinson remains free on a $7,500 bail. The agreement is contingent on tests comparing blood Robinson gave last week to samples found on the woman Jogger s clothing the suspect s lawyers told new York new Day. If the Dan fingerprints of the blood samples link Robinson to the rape of the victim the agreement will be void. Robin son would face additional charges in that Case said Cook and one of Robinson Sother lawyers Natasha Lapiner. New Day said results of blood tests will not be known until nov. 6. Robinson was indicted on robbery As Sault and riot charges in attacks on Lough Lin and another Wilding victim David Lewis 30. Robinson faced from three to 10 years in prison before the agreement was struck. Robinson has not been charged in the rape of the woman Jogger
