European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 31, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 k k k the stars and stripes saturday March 31,1990israel clamps Down in Arab areas Jerusalem apr authorities imposed a curfew on the occupied Gaza strip on thursday and ordered special precautions in the West Bank and Arab areas within Israel to prevent violence on the anniversary of a bloody 1976 Arab riot. In Jerusalem about 200 supporters of the anti Arab Kach party held a March and burned an american Flag. They demanded the expulsion of palestinians from the occupied territories and accused the United states of pressuring Israel to Swap land for peace. The curfew took effect thursday and confined the 700,000 palestinians of the Gaza strip to their Homes. Arab reporters said roadblocks were set up outside Jerusalem to Stop West Bank residents from entering the City and Israel on the Friday anniversary. The 47 Arab towns and villages inside world today Israel planned to hold a general strike Friday to Mark the anniversary of the riots which broke out Over israelis confiscation of Arab owned land in the Galilee. Police shot to death six people in the protests. The israeli daily Maaris reported that authorities were taking a unprecedented precautions because the Holiday Falls on the first Friday of the moslem holy month of Ramadan it is normally a tense time in the occupied territories. All leaves for police were cancelled and the army readied Reserve forces in Case of trouble newspapers and radio stations reported. An army spokesman said soldiers May close certain areas of the West Bank. In past periods of tension police and soldiers have blocked Young moslem from attending Friday prayer services at Jerusalem Sal Asa mosque one of islam a holiest Sites. The army chief of staff it. Gen. Dan Shimron said on army radio a we will invest All the forces necessary to keep things quiet in Judea Samaria and the Gaza Judea and Samaria Are the biblical names for the West Bank. In other developments thursday a col. Yehuda Meir the former army commander in the West Bank City of Nablus pleaded innocent to charges he ordered soldiers to break the arms and legs of a group of bound and gagged palestinians in army custody. Meir 37, entered the plea As his trial opened in military court in Tel Aviv. He faces eight counts including causing bodily harm with malicious intent. Meir is the highest ranking officer to be tried for deviations in the 27-month palestinian uprising. Palestinian Man died of stabbing and beating injuries suffered during an attack by fellow arabs s Day at the West Bank s Nur Shams Rel gee Camp Arab reports said. The victim said Kazmus Walt wounded As he tend to protect his year old son from a group of masked pal a simians. The masked men accused a son of being an informer for israeli a Tho ties us Kaz mouse son also died in the attack it brought to 201 the number of pales titans killed by fellow arabs during the uprising. Most have been accused 0f being informers or cooperating in other ways with Israel. A total of 669 palestinians have been killed by israeli soldiers and civilians in the uprising and 43 israelis have been Diplomat named As soviet envoy to Vatican Moscow apr Yuri y. Karlov a career Diplomat has been named the Kremlin a new representative to the Vatican a foreign ministry spokesman said thursday. Spokesman Gennady i. Gerasimov said the presidium of the supreme soviet made the appointment giving Karlov the title of ambassador plenipotentiary for maintaining Contact with the Vatican. Karlov graduated from the Moscow University school of International affairs and is a career Diplomat holding previous postings in Romania and Italy on March 15, the Vatican and the soviet Union established diplomatic ties for the first time since 1917, with the two sides agreeing to Exchange representatives. The ties fall Short of full diplomatic recognition. The Vatican earlier appointed archbishop Francesco Colasuonno an italian prelate who had been a roving envoy for the Church in Eastern Europe to be the papal Nuncio in on japanese ship restarted after 16 years Tokyo apr the reactor on Japan a Only nuclear ship was started thursday for the first time since it was shut Down 16 years ago because of a radiation leak. No leakage of radiation was recorded during thursdays 12-hour test aboard the 8,242-ton Mutsu anchored at sek Nehama in Northern Japan officials of Japan a atomic Energy research Institute said. The experimental freighter developed a leak in its radioactive shield on its Maiden voyage in 1974, and drifted for 50 Days before City residents allowed it to return temporarily. It then became a a hot potato spurned by Fisherman and residents in several cities. Eventually in 1981, National and local government officials reached an agreement to build a new port for the ship at sek Nehama an isolated spot on the Pacific Ocean near its former Home port Mutsu City. The ships reactor was extensively remodeler after the . German party chief says files show he did no to inform Berlin up a East German social democratic party chairman Ibrahim Bohme said Friday he will resume the party leadership he recently quit amid accusations he was a former secret police informer. A beaming Bohme accompanied by his lawyer and a government official told reporters outside the Headquarters of the former state Security department where he inspected files that there was no evidence against him. A everything turned out Well a he said adding that he will now resume his functions As party chairman. The spa Leader last week suspended himself from the Job amid accusations he had worked for the hated secret police known As the Stasi. The evidence against him was allegedly contained in Stasi files which have not been released to the Public. In the presence of Werner Fischer one of the three government officials in charge of dissolving the Stasi his lawyers and others Bohme examined voluminous files which went Back to 1976. Bohme gave no further details of the contents of the files. His lawyer Friedrich Wilhelm von sell praised Bohme for being honest and seeking to a establish absolute clarity a several prominent East germans have been accused in recent weeks of collaboration with the Stasi. The claims have led to a growing debate and some politicians called for an amnesty of former Stasi officials while others asked that All 400 parliamentary deputies be screened for possible Stasi links. A i believe that people who have violated human rights should be held responsible for their acts and brought to Justice a said Hans Wilhelm Ebeling who Heads the arc conservative German social Union Usu. A but we must be careful that it does no to get out of control and become a Witch Hunt a he said. Claims that Many of the 400 newly elected East German parliamentary deputies worked for the Stasi As Well As efforts to establish a Broad coalition have complicated the formation of a new East German government. The Christian democratic Union which emerged As an East German policeman checks the id of Ibrahim Bihme who was on his Way to look at Security files. The strongest party in the March 18 elections started coalition talks with the spa thursday. Spa spokesman Richard Schroder said Friday that several issues still needed to be discussed. A further consultations with the cd Are necessary a he said. He said the spa will Convene monday to decide whether it will Start direct negotiations with a libera Alliance and the three party conservative Alliance for Germany which includes the cd. But he said the social democrats will not join a coalition that includes the Usu another of the Alliance for Germany parties. A Sun a Eberling said he remained Adamant that a Only a grand coalition will be capable of tackling the deep problems that a the people Are waiting for it they Are getting impatient a he a officials restrict travel to Manila Manila Philippines up a officials at Clark a ordered restrictions Friday on travel by . Airmen to the philippine capital where another policeman was killed in a communist style execution. Police said suspected guerrillas armed with pistols shot and killed patrolman Demetrio Torres while on his Way to his office Friday in suburban san Mateo. An announcement Over the . Military a far East network television station said travel to Manila by some 9,000 . Airmen stationed at the Headquarters of the 13th air Force was now prohibited except for official missions. The announcement said exceptions could be granted on a a Case by Case basis by commanders at Clark 50 Miles North of Manila. Clarks travel ban to Manila followed a similar directive from the commander of . Naval forces in the Philippines based in Subic Bay naval station issued on tuesday a due to increased threats to . Military some 6,000 servicemen Are stationed at Subic the sprawling repair and logistics Center for the . Seventh Fleet 60 Miles Northwest of the philippine capital. Eight americans have been killed in the country Over the past two years in slayings blamed on communist guerrillas. About a dozen philippine lawmen have been metro Manila the past week prior to the 21 St anniversary of the founding of the new Peoples army Spain estimated 19,000 fighters form the armed Wing of i outlawed communist party of the Philippines. Despite threats of an uprising to celebrate the i be army a anniversary no incidents were reported m m on thursday. More than 200 lawmen have been killed in the capita since the spa launched an Urban guerrilla War three it the military said on Friday the spa has Battle tested fighters from the Countryside to the can a
