Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, May 6, 1990

You are currently viewing page 7 of: European Stars and Stripes Sunday, May 6, 1990

   European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 06, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Sunday May 6, 1990 the stars and stripes Page 7 former Navy procurement official admits he provided contractor with information by the Washington Post Washington a former Navy procurement official admitted in Federal court Friday that he routinely provided a Connecticut based firm with information to compete for a Large defense contract. The firm was identified As Norden systems inc. Which competed for a $100 million Marine corps communications system contract. George g. Stone the 33rd individual and the fifth government official convicted in the "111 wind investigation into defense procurement fraud pleaded guilty in . District court in Alexandria va., to conspiracy and conversion of government property. Stone 46, was indicted March 21 on charges of funnelling technical and pricing information on Marine corps and Navy contracts to Thomas e. Muldoon a Norden consultant and Mark c. Saunders a Consul Tant and longtime colleague of Stone s. Muldoon and Saunders also were named in the eight count indict ment. A Federal judge already has dismissed charges against Muldoon saying prosecutors May have brought a vindictive indictment against him in Retalia Tion for his Appeal of an earlier 111 wind conviction. Saunders the principal recipient of Stone s confidential reports is scheduled to go to trial june 4 on conspiracy conversion and wire fraud charges. In court papers filed on Stone s behalf Friday the former Navy procurement director admitted that in 1987 and 1988 he met repeatedly with Saunders. Dur ing the meetings. Stone informed Saunders How nor Den was faring in a Competition with other major de sense contractors for the Marine corps contract. When a military contract review Board eliminated Norden from the Competition. Stone told Board Mem Bers he wanted Norden reinstated. Shortly afterwards Stone confirmed to Saunders that Norden had made the Cut on the contract and that it had been a piece of cake " court papers state. Saunders passed this to Muldoon who had rep resented Litton industries in the Competition until its bid was rejected. Muldoon then signed on to represent Norden. In both cases Muldoon shared his fees with Saunders in Exchange for information from Stone according to Stone s plea statement. Court documents do not say whether Stone received Cash in the scheme. Three former Norden executives have pleaded guilty in the conspiracy. Norden withdrew its bid when the Iii wind investigation became Public in june 1988. Stone also admitted that in Early 1988 Saunders asked him for bidding information on a Navy contract for a submarine detection system. Muldoon had asked Saunders for the information for his contacts at Uniss corp., Stone said in his plea agreement. Stone told Saunders that your buddies at Uniss Are out " a message that was passed to Uniss by Muldoon according to Stone s plea statement. Stone faces a possible prison sentence of up to 15 years and fines of up to $500,000. Sentencing was set for july 20. Mills students stage sit ins to protest decision Oakland Calif. A enraged students took control of Mills College on Friday staging sit ins and blockades they vowed would continue until the exclusive women s school reverses a decision to admit men. The noisy but non violent demonstrators conducted a sit in at the office of Mills president Mary Metz and shut Down classes at the normally quiet tree lined Liberal arts College. Most teachers supported the disruption which could last until the May 20 graduation. Students wearing signs demanding the resignation of Board of trustees chairman Warren Hellman even drove Metz from her Home about 9 . With blaring horns and music and cries of we will not accept  we re shutting them Down said Tomlyn Gingell a Sophomore Art history major. We Haven t been listened to. Maybe this will make them  but administrators who could t get to their offices because 9f student Block Ades and sit ins involving several Hun dred of the 777 undergraduate women said the Board of trustees would t change its mind. The Board citing declining enrolment and revenues voted thursday night to accept men As undergraduates bringing an end to Mills 138-year policy of admitting Only women. No one was Happy with the decision but we believe that life goes on said Metz who agreed to meet with students Friday and again tuesday to discuss the decision to go coed. Three Mills College freshmen demonstrate disapproval of their school s new policy. I Don t believe the Board will reverse itself she said. I Hope this grieving starts the Healing  while students protested members of the Mills College alumnae association held what they described As a Wake at the group s Campus office. After the trus tees vote the alumnae group decided to consult an attorney to see if Mills Stu dents can sue the school to keep from going coed in the fall of 1991. Marge Thomas of the class of 1963. Said alumnae Don t believe they can get the trustees to reverse their decision but that maybe the Board will approve wait ing to go coed until after the 1990 first year students Are graduated. They came Here to go to a women s College and they should be allowed to finish in a women s College Thorn said. Many women at Mills said they would not return next year because of the trus tees vote. I can t believe they would ignore us like that said Amy Hutto. One of a handful of undergraduates who shaved their Heads in protest. Enrolment in Mills 33 undergraduate programs is Down 4.2 percent from three years ago and below the 1,000 students needed to balance the $24 million annual budget economists at the school said. Tuition at Mills is almost $ 12,000. Mills is the Only single sex learning institution in Northern California. Two women s colleges Are located in Southern California and 94 remain nationwide. Paying Noriega s Legal fees becomes Legal hassle Miami a a Federal judge Friday ordered prosecutors to come up with a list of $20 million in assets seized from Manuel Noriega saying some of the Money must have come from the deposed Pana Manian ruler s legitimate activities. During an hour Long hearing prompted by defense attorneys request to withdraw from the Case Lead defense lawyer Frank Rubino claimed that . Intelligence agencies paid $11 million to Noriega with another $6 million coming from foreign govern ments. I Don t know if you can Call Money from the Cia tainted or not but it s certainly not drug Money said Rubino. . District judge William m. Hoeveler said that while Noriega clearly could not use ill gotten gains to pay his lawyers the government could not arbitrarily seize Money without proving he had earned it through drug trafficking or other illegal Means. Defense lawyers have demanded the Frozen accounts be released saying they can no longer afford to represent Noriega in the Complex and expensive Case without being paid. But the government insists Rubino May have been paid $1 million or More and says it is under no obligation to turn Over drug tainted funds to the jailed suspect. The judge observed that Noriega had been a Mili tary officer for More than 20 years and said he must have acquired some Money legitimately. Noriega was indicted Here in february 1988 on charges of taking Money from Colombia s Medellin drug Cartel to make Panama a Safe Haven for cocaine smuggling. Noriega surrendered to . Authorities on Jan. 4, two weeks after . Troops invaded Panama. He is being held at the Federal metropolitan correctional Center outside Miami. Hoeveler tentatively set a hearing for Friday for the government and the defense to discuss the confiscated assets. Assistant . Attorney Michael Sullivan said the government did not object to such a list. But he said All the accounts except one were in foreign Banks. Defense attorneys for two weeks tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with the . Attorney s office to release Money before deciding monday to file a motion to withdraw from the Case. Rubino said the government already has spent $12 million and was prepared to spend $25 million More prosecuting his client. The attorney said the defense has the right to use Noriega s funds to hire More attorneys investigators and secretaries. Rubino noted at the hearing that $5.8 million confiscated by . Troops in Noriega s quarters in pan Ama had been handed Back to the panamanian government by the United states without informing the defense. He said the government had never established whether that Money had been acquired Ille Gally  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade