European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - May 28, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Monday May 28, 1990 the stars and stripes Page 3 a parched Santa Barbara looks for solutions Santa Barbara Calif. A folks in this parched Seaside resort perhaps the driest town in Californi Athis summer Cope with drought in their own ways. Some blame the government. Som seek Charity. And some pour Money on their problems. At this Point people Are really in frenzy and there s a lot of noise about what we should be doing said to Rogers chairman of the Santa Barbara county Board of supervisors. The water shortage has occupied All the politics in the area for the past three or four unlike the rest of Southern califor Nia which brings in outside water in canals and aqueducts the county an Scenic City 100 Miles Northwest of los Angeles rely entirely on ground water and local rainfall. That has to serve the county s 300,000 residents plus 5 Mil lion tourists a year. Years of below Normal precipitation have exhausted one Reservoir and nearly drained another. The Region faces a45 percent Supply shortfall forcing the City Council to declare a drought emergency in february. The Council has imposed some dras tic measures to Foster conservation. Water rates were raised sprinklers and hoses were banned. Other rationing measures we reordered and three drought cops were hired to enforce the rules. One customer with a Leaky toilet recently complained he was charged $2,725, City officials said. Gardening businesses have dried workers also have lost jobs said Josie Mendoza a caseworker at Catho Lic charities. Families Are unable to pay their water Bills and evictions have in creased along with requests for assist Ance and shelter. But the drought has created opportunities for some entrepreneurs. Steve Bates 24, delivers water in a4,000-gallon Tanker truck to Spray homeowners Trees Yards and shrubs for $80 a Load and $55 an hour. The Best Way to describe that truck these Days is it s like an ice Cream truck said Bates who gets his water from a private Well. People Are always stopping me while i m driving Dow the landscaper Walter Barrows offers tomake a dying Lawn look Lush by Santa Barbara landscaper Tony Gring applies Green paint to a Brown Lawn As the City s water shortage worsens. A painting it Green. A modest front Yard costs just $45, he said. Spray painted turf does t look bad from a distance but underfoot it feels like Iowa Corn stalks following Harvest. In nearby affluent enclaves drilling Rig operators have been Busy with or Ders from residents willing to pay up wards of $20,000 for private Wells. County environmental health officials said at least 81 Well permits have been issued this year in affluent Monte Cito compared with 12 for the same period last year. Since 1975, 3,295 Pri vate Wells have been drilled throughput the county according to health officials who Monitor Well water Quality. The drilling has prompted worries that an every Man for himself attitude could deplete ground water. Those people who have Money can do any Dang thing they want said . Masonheimer 76, a retired construction worker who recalled that just 10,000 people lived in the area when he arrived in 1917. Residents arc still Buz ing about Harold Simmons the Dallas based corporate Raider who paid the nearby Montecito water District $25,504 in surcharges for almost 10 million Gal Lons of water last year at his 23-Acrc vacation Home. Simmons apparently was willing to pay any Price said Henry Muller a Montecito director. After weeks of wrangling last fall Simmons drilled his own Well for $ 18,000. For almost 20 years Santa Barbara City and county officials have used water As a Means of controlling growth. If you want to build a House today you usually have to Drill a Well because the towns of Santa Barbara Montecito and Goleta refuse to Issue permits for new water hookups Muller said. The City of Santa Barbara has clamped Down on new construction altogether because of the drought. Local water agencies cannot regulate drilling outside the City because water is a property right under Californi Alaw. City officials have been considering a number of Long Range solutions to modestly supplement existing water supplies. On tuesday the City Council is expected to approve initial development of a multimillion Dollar seawater Plant. Other options include shipping water by Tanker from the Northwest arranging water transfers from the state and drilling More Wells. In the meantime people like 82 year old Herman Fisher will continue to use rags to wipe dirt off cars re turned to fiesta car rental. They Don t have enough water for ill the people he said. Of course you can t blame people for moving Here. It s the nicest place in the most americans think Bush will break no tax vow new York a most american expect president Bush to ask Congress to increase taxes and less than half say whenever meant his Campaign pledge of no new taxes according to a new Yor times lbs news poll. The most acceptable tax to raise would be the Federal excise tax on Beer wine and liquor chosen by 80 percent of the 1,140 adults surveyed in the poll published in the times sunday editions. About 78 percent also said to raise the tax on income Over $200,000. Bush has declined to say whether his staunch Campaign opposition to tax in creases is still in effect. But nearly 70 percent of those surveyed tuesday through thursday expect Bush to seek higher taxes and 40 percent say he never meant his no tax pledge. Asked what should be Cut from the budget 83 percent said reduce foreign Aid and 64 percent said reduce military spending. Unacceptable areas for cuts included education named by 86 percent. Social Security increases 82 percent and the environment 74 percent. Neither party gained a Clear advantage in the Survey when people were asked which party was More Likely to raise taxes. About 38 percent said republicans were and 42 percent picked the democrats. The poll s margin of error was plus or minus 3 percentage Points. 4,000 line up on final Day of Mapp a Thorpe show Cincinnati a the Robert Mapplethorpe photo exhibit ended in Cincinnati on saturday the wait began with a Long line waiting to see the pictures that prompted an obscenity 4,000 people lined up saturday at the con temporary arts Center to see the 175 photos including seven mentioned in the indictment before the show closed. The line stretched onto the Street in front of the Arcade that houses the Art 3,902 patrons brought the show s final total to 79,893, easily a record for the arts Center a spokesman exhibit goes next to the Boston Institute of con temporary Art where it is to open aug. 1.boston Institute director David Ross said he expects a quieter reaction than in perfect moment a display of the late Mapplethorpe s photographs includes seven that a Hamil ton county grand jury found objectionable. The arts Center and its director Dennis Barrie arc under indictment on Misdemeanour charges of obscenity and displaying children in nudity oriented of the photos show homoerotic acts two show naked or partly naked exhibit had a preview showing april 6 for arts Center members. When it opened to the Public the next Day the grand jury was among the spectators. The Case remains unresolved. Another court appear Ance is scheduled next week. The controversy Only fuelled Public interest in the exhibit and the local dispute became a National cause. Cincinnati has become a microcosm of what i happening All Over America Barrie said. In one Way it s very positive for Cincinnati. I like being Able to c., to its help shape the future direction of National Mapplethorpe s name was first heard outside the Art world last june when sen. Jesse Helms in showed copies of his controversial photographs members of Congress. The Corcoran gallery in Washington cancelled showing of the perfect but the exhibit had been shown in six cities without incident before it reached Cincinnati. In february a local group called for Community values began a mail Campaign calling for action to prevent this pornographic Art from being shown in our the arts Center its Board members and Board members employers received hundreds of pro test letters and Calls. The Center voluntarily withdrew from the City s Fine arts fund on March 25, fearing that its inclusion might damage the 1990 fund drive
