European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 13, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse I Viv i to a i a v1 c a House panel zeros in on civilian Rifle 2 a mayor Barry apologizes to Washington residents Page 5 a from drillers to dealers Oil pie split Many ways Page 7 a Wayne Grady keeps Lead in pea championship Page 21 the a san stripes l authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed forces v i t3a 1 Jav Ili g t v Vit a it r 13 <4 vol. 49, no 121 monday August 13, 1990 25 daily and sunday 0 8693 a join . By the associated press the first of 10,000 troops from Egypt and Morocco landed in saudi Arabia saturday joining the United states in guarding saudi Arabia from possible at tack by Iraq president Bush meanwhile suggested he would like to see iraqi president Saddam Hussein overthrown. Bush speaking on the Steps of his sea Side Home in Kennebunkport Maine said the United states is not preparing to oust Saddam but he expressed Hope the iraqi people May Rise up if their Leader does not halt his violent ways. Worldwide sanctions tightened a Vise around Saddam whose Call for an Arab a holy War against saudi Arabia was met instead with Arab forces arriving to do fend that county. Related stories photos pages 6,7,28. Bush telephoned egyptian president Hosni Mubarak to Praise him for rallying Arab nations against a defiant Iraq and for committing egyptian troops to stand shoulder to shoulder with . Soldiers against Saddam. Bush said he believes the United states backed by numerous other nations has the authority to impose a naval blockade of Iraq under United nations sanctions approved last week. White House press Secretary Marlin Fitzwater said no iraqi Oil is moving through pipelines in saudi Arabia or Turkey. Bush who began a three week working vacation Friday conferred at his Seaside Home saturday with Secretary of state James a. Baker Iii who just met with nato allies in Brussels Belgium. Syria and Iran both enemies of Iraq supported fridays decision of 12 of 21 Arab league members to Send troops. Continued on Back Page from wire reports a 10-year-old american girl stranded in Kuwait by the iraqi invasion with 10 american diplomats who were Able to Cross into Jordan from Iraq left Amman for Paris late saturday night aboard an air France Airliner. Penelope Nabokov had been shielded from the press by . Embassy officials at an undisclosed destination since arriving in Amman several hours earlier. She was driven to the Airport in an embassy car by Patrick Theros the embassy Deputy chief of Mission and his daughter a girl who looked a Little younger than Penelope. The car stopped in front of the Airport vip lounge and Penelope was hurriedly walked into the building. Embassy guards on either Side tried to shield her from reporters and television Crews. It was the first glimpse of the girl for the scores of reporters gathered in Amman to cover the crisis sparked by iraqis invasion of Kuwait last week. The girl wearing a greenish dress appeared unemotional in contrast to 1 Herosy daughter who smiled and waved to the photographers. . Embassy spokesman Jonathan Owen told reporters earlier that Penelope a father Peter Nabokov of Albany Calif had asked the embassy not to allow her to be photographed or to talk to the press. The White House called it a a encouraging that the americans had been allowed to leave Iraq a your embassy is in Contact almost hourly with iraqi officials concerning the safety of . Citizens a White House spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said. Iraq had sealed its Borders after the lightning invasion which trapped 3,500 americans and other foreigners.10 diplomats leave Iraq Penelope and father Peter Nabokov in earlier picture. The americans who crossed into Jordan included non essential . Embassy staff and dependents Border officials said. Penelope had been travelling unescorted and was stranded on a British airways jetliner stopping in Kuwait when the iraqi invasion occurred. She was later transferred to Baghdad by iraqi troops together with some other passengers from the plane. The 10 american diplomats who boarded the same. Plane at Amman Airport were not allowed to talk to the press by embassy officials. They crossed into Jordan after an Overland journey from the iraqi capital of Baghdad arriving at the jordanian Border Post of run nishid Early saturday afternoon. Meanwhile a group of 32 workers mostly British and american fled Kuwait and managed to reach Bahrain safely on saturday witnesses reported. The newspaper Gulf daily news identified one of them As John Carlough a banker from the United Stales. Using bedouin guides who know where to Cross the desert expanses Between Kuwait and saudi Arabia away from the eyes of Raqi soldiers the group entered Bahrain without trouble it said. Carlough general manager in the consumer division of the Gulf Bank in Kuwait was one of 32 expatriates who made it through saudi Arabia and onto the Island state in a Convoy of eight four wheel drive vehicles. He reportedly led the group of evacuees. The newspaper in its edition appearing sunday said the group included britons americans Irish one singaporean and one filipina. There were 11 women and seven children among them. Through word of Mouth the group told the paper see girl on Back Page Yosemite empties As fires cover 14,000 acres Yosemite National Park Calif. Apr Yosemite National Parks spectacular sights normally enjoyed by up to 25,000 visitors on summer weekends were clouded by smoke saturday As 14,000 acres burned on the Parks West Side. Photo on Page 5. A a there a next to nobody Here a said Don Fox of the . Park service at Yosemite Valley location of the Al Capitan and half dome Rock masses and other much photographed attractions. Yosemite was closed Friday after the first summertime evacuation in its 100-year history. A it sounded like Jet engines a said Debbie Brossman a bartender who evacuated her Home Friday in nearby Al Portal when the fire was within Yards of her House. A this raging wind was blowing Down the Hill. The sky turned dark with smoke and a a it a darkness at noon a said Dennis Scotty Brossmann a neighbor. Their houses were saved when the wind shifted allowing firefighters to set a a backfires that met the oncoming flames. All told More than 175,000 acres were burning in Northern California with 14 fires classified As major and hundreds of smaller ones being watched. More than 116,000 acres of Forest land have burned in Oregon in recent Days and More than 90,000 acres burned in Idaho. Fires have also hit Utah and Washington. About 11,000 firefighters were working go the California lines mostly in Pine forests. The largest fire in Tehama county had burned 106,000 acres by saturday afternoon the California department of forestry reported. The . Forest service requested help from the military on saturday and was told that three army battalions would be made available after undergoing three Days of special training in firefighting. Firefighters had contained about 10 percent of each Yosemite Blaze one 9,200 acres and the other 5,000 acres. The fires were both about 10 Miles West of Yosemite Valley the Parks most heavily visited area and site of the famous bridal veil Falls half dome and Al Capitan. The Valley was dosed although officials said there was Little smoke there saturday. A of or a hit of tourists one 4 their lifelong Arr minus was to see \ Oser Nite. Some barely got there and were turned out Quot said Denise Leduc a service Sta Tion operator in Mariposa 30 Miles West of the Park. More than 10,000 visitors were sent out of the Park Friday. The valleys sleeping facilities including campgrounds for 8,000 were virtually unused overnight. A we Are sad very much because for us in France we done to see Sequoia Trees a a said Maite Petertri a member of a French tour group. Most of the California fires were started by lightning officials said. Some 23,490 lightning strikes were counted in the state by electronic detection equipment Between aug. 3 and Friday. A fourth straight year of drought has see fires on Lack Pavo
