European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - August 14, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Inside stripes a Good bad news for retirees in Europe. I a Enola Gay fliers cashing in 1 on their role in history. Page 4 a Dodds performance Given High Marks. A Wayne Grady captures pea championship. Page 21 authorized unofficial publication for the . Armed forces Good morning vol. 49, no. 122 tuesday August 14, 1990 a 25< daily and sunday d 8693 . Vows to uphold embargo Iraq conditions for ending crisis rejected from wire reports the Bush administration said sunday that the United states would use Force to Stop any ships including those carrying food that attempt to break an International Trade embargo placed on iraqi Commerce last week. See related stories Page 7. Secretary of state James a. Baker Iii said in Washington that the administration received a letter from the kuwaiti government that a requested of us and of other nations support for enforcement of the . Economic Baker said the a a interdiction policy a would begin almost a senior administration official speaking on condition he not be identified said a a de Facto blockade is in effect. A we will fire on a ship if it wont Stop a he said. A a we la do the usual things a warn them off fire a shot across the Bow. But if it comes to that there is no question what we will at his vacation Home in Kennebunk port Maine president Bush firmly rejected conditions set by Saddam Hussein for ending the persian Gulf crisis and put aside differences with Syria Long enough to Cement an Alliance against Baghdad. Saddam also demanded an end to . Economic sanctions against Iraq and the pullout of . Troops in saudi Arabia. Meanwhile the Pentagon announced that an air Force maintenance technician was killed in a runway Accident in saudi Arabia the first american death since . Forces began to arrive. The Pentagon identified the dead Man As Staft sgt. John Campisi 30, of Covina calif., who was assigned to Offutt fab in Nebraska. V Pentagon officials said a preliminary investigation indicated Campisi was hit see embargo on Back Page a vhf in Quot briton killed trying to a amps Ken Clauson a amps file a Man strolls freely left through the freshly paved intersection of Zimmer Strasse and Charlotte Strasse. Little remains to indicate that until recently a guard Tower and the Berlin Wall right blocked the Street. 29 years of division crumble with the rest of the Berlin Wall by Ken Clauson staff writer Berlin a what a left of the Berlin Wall turned 29 years old monday. And As More and More of it is torn Down the Only question remaining is what should be done with the land it scarred. A it should become a Park a Peter Unsicker a 43-year-old sculptor and gallery owner said sunday. A millions of people were suffering because of it and we can to Ever forget much of the Broad Swath Cut by the Wall through Berlin is now prime real estate in the City Center. West German business giant Daimler Benz already is eyeing Potsdam m Platz. Unsicker whose Art focused on a divided Germany fears that Many Are willing to forget the Wall too quickly by bulldozing the ground and supplant ing it with businesses instead of memorials. A from the first Day it was broken through peo ple were planting Trees in the open area a he said. A these Are signs that should be taken seriously. I done to think its just a cultural decision Ana it be decided just by a few City planners and the Walls demise in november 1989 took people everywhere by Surprise. As recently As january 1989, East German communist party chief Erich Honecker had bragged that the Berlin Wall would stand for another 100 years. A a a. In the predawn hours of aug. 13, 1961, 50,000 East German soldiers and Border guards began rolling barbed wire across All the streets leading into West Berlin. As outraged residents saw their City being split by the Iron curtain the allies were stunned and politically paralysed. For months before the Wall went up soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev menacingly rattled his no continued on Page 3 by the associated press iraqi soldiers shot and killed a British businessman in Kuwait As he tried to flee the country into saudi Arabia with other foreigners the British government announced sunday. It was the first official report of a Westerner killed by iraqi troops in Kuwait since Iraq invaded aug. 2. Acquaintances of one of the witnesses to the shooting said at least two americans were in the car with the victim. The report came As scores of foreigners were returning to their homelands sunday with stories of rapes and other abuses by iraqi soldiers in Kuwait. A but others said the iraqi forces appeared Well disciplined and reported no widespread destruction was apparent in the Small Gulf nation though food supplies were dwindling. In London the foreign office identified the slain businessman As Douglas Thomas Croskery of northeastern England. Croskery a. Wife Thelma two daughters and other relatives issued a statement sunday night through Northumbria police. It said he worked with other europeans in Kuwait managing an International printing company. Many foreigners recounted dramatic scenes of fleeing to Freedom. John Norman an american accountant working in Kuwait said he Rode a taxi for five hours across the iraqi desert in a harrowing flight to Freedom Chai smoking cigarettes and nibbling on hard boiled eggs As the cab bounced toward Jordan. At the Border checkpoint Norman said he feared for his life when iraqi soldiers began firing their automatic weapons after a broadcast speech by iraqi president Saddam Hussein. A it was an escape a Norman told the Charlotte . Observer. A it Wasny to a walk through. I did no to know if i was going to leave Iraq he returned to North Carolina on Friday ending an Odyssey that in three Days took him by cab private car and jumbo Jet from Baghdad to Amman Jordan to London to Raleigh. Meanwhile the iraqi news Agency quoted Saddam a presidential spokesman As saying authorities had been instructed to a facilitate the travel of the arabs and foreign residents in Kuwait and other cities of Southern Iraq a a the term Iraq now uses to describe occupied Kuwait. However it was not Clear if that meant foreigners could leave Kuwait and the Agency report made no a mention of the tens of thousands of foreigners m Iraq whose Borders remained closed
