European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 30, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Pago 24 a a the stars and stripes sunday september 30, 1990 test available copy spin says . Leaning toward War by the associated press the chairman of the House armed services committee said lie believes the Bush administration a is looking More favourably a toward a War with Iraq before the first of the year. In other developments a Britain on saturday sent More Pronini forces to the persian Gulf. A iraqis foreign minister arrived in Jordan carrying a message from president Saddam Hussein and the iraqi government threatened to spread War across the Region. A president hush and Kuwait a deposed Emir met saturday. After the meeting a presidential aide suggested hush might push for tougher . Action against Saddam including a military operation. So far Tough . Sanctions and a naval blockade that Lias choked off virtually All of iraqis Oil exports and food imports have failed to break Saddam a re news briefs solve to absorb the emirate. In Washington on Friday rep. Los Aspin d-wis., head of the armed services committee said he based his assessment on four tilings a the lessening chances of Kuwait regaining its Independence without War. A the expectancy of cooler weather in the persian Gulf in coming months. A the most Ems january pilgrimage to Mecca which would make fighting More difficult. A a More hawkish one from the administration. He also said he expects Iraq to have biological weapons that could be used by years end. Aspin refused to predict that the persian Gulf standoff would Likely end in War. However he said Quot the administration is looking More favourably on an Early War at the breakfast Aspin said the economic sanctions against Iraq prompted by its invasion of Kuwait on aug. 2, have been successful in denying Money to Iraq Aspin said however that he does not believe the sanctions will allow the United states and other nations to achieve the political goal of forcing Iraq to Back Down and withdraw from Kuwait Aspin also said . Forces deployed to the persian Gulf As part of operation desert shield will be ready in the next several weeks for any military action. Meanwhile iraqi foreign minister Tariq Aziz met Friday with Jordan a King Hussein. The message Hussein brought from Saddam dealt with the a tense situation in the Region a senior jordanian foreign ministry official said Jordan has also condemned the invasion of Kuwait but Saddam has widespread popular support in Jordan and the jordanian government has spoken out strongly against foreign military intervention in the Region. On saturday the Pace of the multinational deployment picked up. Egyptian military sources said about 1,000 of to a a nations soldiers left by ship for s no i Arabia. The reinforcements will bring to about 12,500 the number of troops in the Region. 1 British ground forces started is Britain and West Germany on Sahir Dav for the persian Gulf the defens. Ministry said in London. Some 500 British combat vehicles and More than 2,000 support vehicles 10 000 tons of ammunition and 22,000 tons of other stores spare parts rations and medical Sun plies left the North sea German port of Bremerhaven on two ships on Friday the ministry said. See Story Page 2. Quot a the ministry said that loading of equipment onto ships in Germany and Britain began Friday and will last a week. Etc cargo will arrive in the Gulf in three web. Initial estimates put the number of troops from the 7th army brigade and support units at Between 6,000 and 8,000. But the times of London said saturday that the number could reach 9,000. Deactivation activation of fort Lewis units set Washington a the army announced Friday the deactivation of the 9th inf div motorized and the activation of a separate motorized brigade at fori Lewis Wash As part of a five year military reduction plan. T he deactivation of the 9th will eliminate approximately 7,too military positions at fort Lewis by the end of fiscal 1992. It also will trim about 226 civilian and 121 military support slots from a total civilian work Force of 3,842 at fort Lewis. It was not Clear How Large the new brigade would he. Brigades generally have about 2,000 personnel. Over the next several years the population at the base will eventually grow by 3,000 As a result of the army a plans to close fort Ord calif., and ship 10,000 soldiers from fort Ord a 7th inf div Light to fort Lewis said George Behan press Secretary to rep. Norm Dicks a Wasli. Of to redo launch pad for Titan 4-centaurs los Angeles apr californians $3.5 billion space shuttle port mothballed after the 1986 challenger explosion will be converted into a launch pad for Titan 4-Centaur rockets the air Force announced Friday. Construction will Start in october to convert space launch Complex-6 at Vandyn Borg fab calif., into a launch pad for Titan 4 rockets equipped with Centaur upper stage boosters the Pentagon said in a statement. The first launch is expected in 1996, the statement said. Logjam on budget could Send Federal workers Home monday from wire and staff reports Washiington a Federal workers Are being told to report for work monday but to be prepared to go Home if there a no agreement Between Congress and the White House on How to pay them. Sec Story Page 2. The instructions to go to work As usual were contained in a memorandum from budget director Richard Darman to Agency chiefs Friday. A spokeswoman for the Pentagon said saturday that it has received no guidance on How those orders affect Federal workers overseas. She suggested that overseas workers report to work monday and wait for further direction. In the absence of legislation to keep the government operating beyond the Start of the new fiscal year monday non essential workers would be sent Home within three hours if a government a phase Down is launched Darmand a memo said. Federal workers complained earlier about the confusion surrounding what they should do. Before Damian s memo was released late Friday afternoon workers were being told to listen to the radio Over the weekend. A this is absolutely no Way to run any kind of ship Quot said John Sturdivant president of the 700,000-Mcmbcr american federation of government employees. A a it a just ridiculous that we be always got to operate on the basis of crisis. People done to know whether they re supposed to go to work whether they have a full time Job or what a Sturdivant said. About 1.1 million Federal workers received notices a month ago that they might be furloughed up to 22 Days if automatic Gramm Rudman deficit reduction budget cuts kick in from Page 1 lowing them to get the necessary 5 percent. But the former communists and the rightist republicans have virtually no Chance of finding mainstream parties that would share the ballot with them. The courts decision was announced by Ernst Gottfried Mahrenholz vice president of the constitutional court in Karlsruhe near the French Border 80 Miles South of Frankfurt. Mahrenholz said the 5 percent clause in the election agreement would infringe on the rights of the parties that brought the complaint. The court also struck Down the mechanism that would allow smaller parties to be listed with larger Allied parties. The agreement rejected by the court represented a Compromise Between Kohls Christian democrats which is the leading party in both Germany and the main opposition group a the left of Center social democrats. The social democrats wanted the 5 percent limit to keep smaller left of Center parties from getting in parliament and diluting the social democrats clout in a United Germany. The Christian democrats wanted the agreement that would allow bigger parties to form alliances with smaller parties because Kohls Power base comprises coalitions with other conservative parties such As the powerful Christian social Union in Bavaria Germany a biggest from Pago 1 strutted customers in the West to add starting wednesday an Quot of prefix for a most Quot or East to mail they Send to Germany a Eastern sector. Customers in the East should add a a a we to westbound mail. Using that system a Mannheim resident who sends a letter to a Friend in downtown Leipzig would write �?o0-7010 Leipzig Quot As the final line of the address. An Eastern correspondent in Dresden would write a a a soon Munich on a letter destined i of l lie Iau state capital. The Quot of and Quot a a prefixes also should on mail sent to Gennav from other coi in Rev mail sent within Western or Eastern i. Lei Many May in a Only the Lour d ii a me ii z slut As Ehno. Postal plan to go e the Public at least six months notice before Miro line ing a new code system in 1992, postal ministry spokesman Norbert Schafer said. The use of postage Stamps in East Germany already is in transition. As of wednesday the Day of unification Stamps bearing the name a Deutsche de Inok Raische re Publik German democratic Republic or East Germany no longer will be valid in Eastern Germany. Stamps marked a Deutsche Post a which the East German government began issuing when currency Union took effect july 1, May be used until Dee 31, 1991. After that Only Stamps labelled a Deutsche Bun pcs Posly May be used on mail throughout Germany. A Telephone numbers anyone who makes a Telephone Call to Eastern Germany still will have to use the l ast German Counley code prefix a a Dit until at least late 1692, and people by re will have to continue using the a a h 19�?o code to reach we Slot n Germany Teerat Leeco mimic. Ions spokesman Rudiger Staat said. In the meantime communications workers will install a new digital network that can accommodate Telephone traffic like that in Western Germany eliminate the need for separate country Access codes and allot each East German City Only one Telephone number prefix. A a we la have to invest 55 billion Marks $35,9 billion to reach this goal a Staats said. Officials expect that the funds will come entirely from private investors. A we have yet to see if that can be achieved a he said referring to the ability to collect the Money. East Germany has about 1.6 million Telephone customers. Staats predicted the number would Rise to 7.2 million by late 1992, and to 8.5 million by 2000. A License plates _ the Federal traffic ministry will Siart issuing West License plates with new Eastern German vehicle registrations starting Jan. 1, and has released a list of 193 new one two or three letter License plate codes that correspond to Eastern cities and counties. The a a by that has designated West Berlin vehicles will begin appearing on East Berlin cars As Well. The ministry plans to Issue replacements within three years for All East German plates now in use. The current coding system for West German plates will remain in effect except in Lahn Dill county which is adding its a a la to Leipzig and taking a it do Quot Lahn Dill Kreis instead. During die three year transition phase the a a la do May appear on some cars from 1 places ministry spokeswoman g Grimm said. The change in Eastern German a Way numbers is expected to make easier. For example Drivers will be. Follow autobahn 24 All the Way Hamburg to Berlin or autobahn a Berlin to Munich
