European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 14, 1990, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 2 a a a news updates the stars and stripes wednesday november 14,1990arco Oil spill Anchorage Alaska up a Arco Alaska inc. Has agreed to pay a $200,000 Fine for spilling Oil on fragile Tundra and to explore better ways of cleaning up such spills according to terms of an agreement announced with the state of Alaska. Up to 25,200 Gallons of crude Oil spilled onto 1.4 acres of Tundra in August 1989 when a pipeline valve failed at Arcos Kupa Ruk Oil Field near Prudhoe Bay on the North slope of Alaska a co has launched a $74 million monitoring and maintenance program at its Wells and pipelines and is examining plans for responding to a major spill according to a company Saturn models Detroit a general motors Saturn corp. Plans to add seven new models to its three car lineup by 1994, the Industry journal automotive news reported in its monday edition. The publication said Saturn plans to add at least two vehicles in each of the next three Model years. Added to the single Cam engine and twin Cam engine sedans and sporty Coupe models that went to showrooms oct. 12 would be a luxury Sedan and Coupe a Coupe convertible two station wagons and two two door Hatchback automotive news said. Other vehicles also Are on the drawing Board it said. A Saturn Dealership official who spoke on condition of anonymity told the publication that Saturn officials a said they wanted to give us a minivan and a Small pickup but they said they do that before 1996 because they a need to build another Saturn spokesman Mark Tanner refused to comment on the report military Paris a twelve French military units in Germany will be dissolved next year the defense Minista announced monday. Equipment and personnel from the units will be redistributed among other sections of the armed forces the ministry said in a communique. It did not say How Many soldiers would be affected. The units to be dissolved Are an armoured division and a logistics regiment at Freiburg an infantry regiment and two artillery units at Offenburg two army regiments at Mulheim and one unit each based at Karlsruhe Jastatt tub Ingen Reutlinger and Kehl. Withdrawal of French forces from Germany is to occur in phases Over the next four years and will coincide with a reduction in the army a Overall strength from 285,000 to 250,000.clarification some German officials quoted in a weekend article on their reaction to the deployment of Germany based . Troops to operation desert shield were under the impression that the troops would not be returning to Germany. Garrent plans Call for All facilities and housing to remain under . Control and for the soldiers families to remain in Germany. And regarding Camel spiders in yesterdays guide to the desert maybe they re not so a Reader reports that they have a stinging bite. And desert shield soldiers say the spiders Are an even match for scorpions in fights staged for desert entertainment. Army overcharged transients then diverted Cash Gao says Washington a the army overcharged its personnel for temporary lodging and diverted the Money to projects such As the renovation of a vip ouse and two custom throw rugs costing $3,600, congressional investigators say. The general accounting office in reviewing the daily fees assessed to soldiers staying at special housing during training found that from 1985 to 1989, two army commands amassed More than $70 million from inflated charges assessed against the per diem allowance Given soldiers. The Gao the investigative Arm of Congress estimated that the amount could Rise to More than $100 million after calculating figures for the fiscal year that ended sept. 30. A some army installations have overcharged soldiers for transient lodgings and. Used the proceeds to subsidize morale welfare and recreation activities a officers clubs Golf courses arts and crafts facilities and lodging for visitors a the Gao said in a report released last week. The Agency blamed the problems on the absence of effective controls and inadequate management attention. In one instance the army used the additional Money to fully renovate a four bedroom House for distinguished visitors. Among the costs were about $144,000 for customized furnishings drapes and carpets including the two throw rugs totalling $3,600. The army installation also planned to spend about $272,000 for special stationery and landscaping but when questioned by the Gao it lowered its Cost projections to $81,600. The Gao did not specify at which installation the renovation occurred but its study examined Domestic facilities. The Agency said the training and doctrine come and forces come accumulated the inflated charges. The Money comes from the billions of dollars the army spends each year to train its personnel with a portion for the per diem paid to soldiers undergoing training. In another Case the Gao found that a Large office space in transient quarters was converted into an exercise room with equipment even though a fully equipped gym was across the Street. A according to installation officials the exercise room was provided to meet commercial hotel standards and to ensure that guests were not inconvenienced a the Gao said. A in a response included in the report the defense department said it has taken Steps to review and Correct the problems identified by the Gao. It said it also is studying current policies on transient housing. A it should be noted that the identified problems occurred during a period of major policy transition in which the department adopted practices to operate non appropriated fund programs and facilities in a Businesslike manner a said Christopher Jehn assistant Secretary of defense for Force management and personnel. The Gao also found that the army paid for More expensive off base lodgings for personnel when there were vacancies at the designated transient quarters. During one month at an installation the lodging office authorized off base per diem for 146 personnel for a total of 1,939 Days. But during the same period 206 reservations were cancelled or never claimed amounting to 5,040 Days available to House personnel. The Gao recommended that the overcharges be returned to either the original appropriations or the . Treasury. The Pentagon which generally agreed with the Gao a suggestions did not concur on returning the Money. The defense department proposed disbursing the Money based on a Legal interpretation of the Issue by the department. Rep. John Murtha d-pa., chairman of the House appropriations subcommittee on defense requested the report. 6 saudi women who protested driving ban suspended from jobs Riyadh saudi Arabia apr six of the 50 saudi women who took to the Road last week to protest saudi arabians prohibition on female Drivers have been suspended from their University jobs sources said monday. The six University professors were suspended from the social sciences department of the All female Campus at King Saud University in Riyadh sources said speaking on condition of anonymity. Religious Fervour has swept through the University for the past several Days As students openly attacked the professors according to the sources. Some students Tore the professors nameplates off their office doors and scrawled a a infidel in their places. A there is a tide of Fred mentalism among the Young people a said one of the sources. There was no immediate official confirmation or comment on the report of the suspensions. A saudi source last week said a group of Legal and religious scholars consulted by the Gove Morate determined that the women a action was not illegal but should not be repeated. There is no Law on the books against women driving but it goes against strict tradition that once kept women completely isolated at Home. Several women in the professional Community Here believed the protest could reverse the significant strides made in the workplace during the past several years. A we feel that we have taken a Hundred Steps Back a said one professional. A driving would have come not tomorrow or the next Day but it would have come. Now it May be the authorities reaction to the Demon stration has been praised even by the Drivers. The women were stopped and driven by police to the police station. They were then made to sign pledges not to repeat what they did in the presence of their male relatives. A senior saudi official from Riyadh a Gove Morate reportedly went to the police station and kept at Bay the religious police known As the committee for the propagation of virtue and the condemnation of vice. The country a imams or moslem preachers were also instructed to tread lightly in their Friday sermons. But some still called for punishment of the a infidels a claiming the protesters were in favor of eschewing the veil. All 50 women were completely veiled in Black cloaks during their driving demonstration last tuesday conforming to the traditional saudi dress for women. Dutch turn sergeant Over to of after it promises no execution from staff and wire reports dutch authorities released an air Force sergeant to . Military authorities monday after they promised not to execute him for killing and dismembering his wife. Staff sgt. Charles d. Short 34, of High Wood 111., was delivered to the 32nd tac fighter group at Oesterberg a Justice ministry spokesman Victor Holtus said. The action ended a two year Battle Over which county had the right to try Short. . Authorities have charged him with premeditated murder and desecration of a Corpse but the charges were brought As a non capital offences a eliminating the possibility of a death sentence according to capt. Laura Feldman an air Force spokeswoman at Oesterberg. . Authorities will consider the results of a psychiatric evaluation by military doctors and a Legal investigation before deciding if he will actually be tried she said tuesday in 1988, a dutch court sentenced Short to six years in jail for slaying his turkish born wife dismembering her and dumping the remains in plastic bags. The dutch High court ultimately overturned the sentence saying authorities in the country had no jurisdiction Over the . Serviceman. But in a separate ruling in March the High court said Short could not be surrendered to the United states As Long As he could face the death penalty. . Military authorities issued a Fri ten guarantee that Short would not t sentenced to death Justice ministry off vials said. The dutch have no capital punish Mei and refuse to extradite anyone who Coul be executed elsewhere. If Short is tried it will be by a Gencur court martial but the Date and Lopatic have not been determined Feldman sail she could not say what the maximum pc Alty could be or what action the Goveri ment might take if Short were found uni to stand trial. Short was a medical equipment i Pairman assigned to the Oesterberg clip 1c,
