European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - March 16, 1991, Darmstadt, Hesse Saturday March 16. 1991 the stars and stripes a Page 3in the Gulf i Swar hero s bogus claims to be probed by Chuck Vinch Washington Bureau the air Force plans to investigate the claims of a Junior no who told news Media in his Hometown that he flew More than 40 combat missions during operation desert storm As a second lieutenant. Sgt. Joseph Duszynski 24, told television and newspaper reporters in Jackson mich., last week that he had just returned from a three month tour in saudi Arabia and had logged More than 100 hours in combat Over Iraq in an Al 11 fighter bomber. Duszynski has been on leave since March 1, when he departed his previous assignment with the 48th equipment maints at Raf Lakenheath England he is in route to Cannon fab . V according to officials at Raf Lakenheath the sergeant has never been assigned to the Middle East and did not participate in operation desert storm in any capacity. A we Are positive that he never went to saudi Arabia a said capt. Bruce Alexander a base spokesman. His duties in England consisted of dispensing tools from a Supply room to mechanics working on aircraft belonging to the 48th tac fighter Wing Duszynski is trained As a maintenance technician but was moved to the Squadron tool Supply room by his commander because of poor Job proficiency As a Mechanic Alexander said. He could not say at what Point in Duszynski a two year tour that decision was made. The Young no appeared in civilian clothes March 4 on will to in his Hometown claiming to be a second lieutenant and spinning tales of his combat exploits. A Man who identified himself As an Uncle also contacted the Jackson citizen Patriot to suggest that Duszynski would make a Good feature Story for the newspaper. A March 8 article in the newspaper exposed Duszynski a Story As false. The newspaper Learned the Story was bogus when a reporter who interviewed the airman called Raf Lakenheath for verification. The article quoted Duszynski in a two hour interview As saying that he was overcome with �?o10,000 different feelings As he took off for his first combat Mission and recalled seeing a giant fireworks displays from his cockpit High Over Iraq. Citizen Patriot editor Sandy Petykiewicz said Duszynski a family initially seemed to have Complete Faith in his claims. A they were calling All Over town to line up inters views a she said. A i think the kid might have told them some things in letters or phone Calls got caught up in a lie and get out of it after he came Home and his family began pushing him to the local Media As a War a a it a embarrassing a said Doug Chalgian Quot will to news director. A but his family had signs out in front of the House to Welcome their son Home front the War. They were there for the interview. You done to think to ask for a. Reached by Telephone in Michigan Duszynski a father declined to comment on the affair. A Joe told us not to talk to any More reporters about this whole thing before he left for new Mexico last weekend a Edward Duszynski said. Tech. Sgt. Dave Diehl a spokesman for Cannon fab said officials there Are awaiting Duszynski a arrival before deciding How to proceed. A the called Here a few Days ago basically to find out How much trouble he a in a Diehl is expected to arrive in new Mexico shortly and a has been told to report immediately to his new Squadron commander a Diehl said. The maximum penalty for impersonating an officer with intent to defraud is three years in jail and a dishonourable discharge according to an air Force spokeswoman in the Pentagon if there were no proof of intent to defraud the maximum penalty would be six months confinement and a bad conduct discharge she said. A a lot depends on the circumstances a Diehl said. A a we re still waiting for a tape of the to interview to Sec just what he said and How he represented Senate oks benefits for Gulf veterans by Martin Tolchin the new York times Washington the Senate on thursday approved by a 97-1 vote a package of benefits for veterans of the persian Gulf War that was less generous than the Bill approved on wednesday by the House of representatives. Sen. Mark o. Hatfield r-ore., cast the Lone dissenting a vote. A Quot a a a a a a a Vav v a. The $500 million Senate package backed by the White House provides lower medical educational and pension benefits than the $1.1 billion House Bill. Differences Between the two measures will be worked out in a House Senate conference. Unlike the House Bill the Senate package would apply Only to veterans of the Gulf War and not extend to veterans of past or future conflicts. The benefits were included in a measure that would authorize the spending of an additional $15 billion in government Money plus contributions from Allied nations to pay for the War. A press spokesman for Hatfield said that the senator who had opposed the Gulf War opposed the measure because it financed the War in addition to paying for benefits for its veterans. Though the Senate Bill was approved by the armed services committee last week by a vote of 19 to 0, the Senate a democratic and Republican leaders rewrote the measure on thursday and scaled Down some benefits to gain the approval of the White House office of management and budget. To expedite passage sen. John w. Warner of Virginia ranking Republican on the armed services committee withdrew a proposed amendment that would put the Senate on record As favouring the reopening of the 1972 anti ballistic missile treaty with the soviet Union to permit the United states to develop and test new missile defences. The Senate also voted 97-0, in favor of a Resolution urging that an International tribunal try iraqi president Saddam Hussein As a War criminal. It also approved 98-0, a Resolution that no Federal Aid be Given Iraq while Saddam remained in Power. Apall Al Sader of the kuwaiti defense ministry holds up a Drill and a saw he says were used As torture tools by iraqis. Doctors to enter to help people tortured by iraqis Rome apr a group of doctors who specialize in treating torture victims is trying to persuade the kuwaiti government to Issue them visas so they can help those who suffered at the hands of iraqi occupiers. A normally when you talk about torture people done to want to hear about it a a said Inge Kemp Geneske a neurologist from Copenhagen Denmark. A victims have to talk about what they be been through. The families kids wives and husbands need to be helped Geneske helped found the Copenhagen based rehabilitation Center for torture victims. Since 1980, its doctors have been treating torture victims physical and mental wounds. Among the patients have been Many iraqis victims of Saddam Hussein a ruthless regime she said. The doctor said she realizes kuwaitis Are now preoccupied with problems of daily existence such As obtaining clean water but she said its crucial that the torture victims receive Swift help. Her group is seeking permission to enter Kuwait to train local doctors to help heal those who were tortured by iraqi soldiers and secret police during the occupation. Geneske spoke with the associated press in Rome on Friday during a conference that was sponsored by amnesty International a italian chapter. The theme of the conference focused on the prob Lem of torture around the world. Estimates of the number of kuwaitis who were tortured Range from several Hundred to several thousand. According to amnesty International torture methods used by iraqis included blows on every part of the body including karate kicks with heavy boots suspending the victim by hands or feet and dropping the person from a height to break Bones. Also crushing fingers in a Vise cutting off the Tongue or ears applying electric currents to sensitive parts of the body snuffing out cigarette Butts on eyeballs holding a victims head under water and threatening to torture the victims family
