European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - September 17, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse Page 8 the stars and stripes tuesday september 17. 1985 aging chinese step aside for younger party officials peking a More than 140 senior communist world today party officials resigned monday paving the Way for a Transfer of Power from aging revolutionaries to a younger generation charged with promoting China s new open door policies. The resignations were announced in letters to the party s Central committee which was meeting in a plenary session the official Xinhua news Agency said. Most of those who retired Are red army veterans who fought with map tse Tung in the civil War against the chinese nationalists that ended in 1949 with the communist takeover. Among those who announced their retirement were marshal be Jianying 88, who resigned from the six Mem Ber politburo standing committee the most powerful party Organ and politburo member Deng Yingchai 81, China s highest ranking woman politician and the widow of Premier Chou in Ai. Eight other members of the 24-Mcmber politburo also resigned As did 64 members and alternates of the 344 member Central committee 37 members of the 162 member Central advisory commission and 30 members of the 132-member discipline inspection commission Xin Hua said. Younger comrades of ability and political integrity May join the Central committee thus further promoting the succession of the new to the old in the Central leading organs Xinhua quoted the letter of resignation from the outgoing Central committee members As saying. Xinhua said monday s plenum was preceded by four Days of preliminary discussions and will be followed by a special party conference wednesday at which a number of enterprising and promising Young and Middle aged cadres Are to be Xinhua said the plenary session was presided Over by party general Secretary he Yanbang and China top Leader 81-year-old Deng Xiaoping. Earlier monday an announcement on state run television and the presence of hundreds of vip cars and buses at the great Hall of the people indicated the landmark communist party plenum was under Way. The plenum a special 1,000-Delegate party conference and a follow up plenary session expected at the end of the month have been called to rejuvenate the party leadership and review China s five year plan for 1986-90. Western sources and chinese officials have said a new generation of officials would be promoted to carry Forward Deng s open door policies. Security was increased and a foreign journalist was asked to Stop taking pictures at the great Hall where important party gatherings Are held. Hundreds of cars and buses in the area indicated that delegates were meeting inside. Hundreds of delegates wearing badges were seen relax marshal be Jianying 88, and Deng Yingchai 81. Ing sunday at Mihyun reserve.? amusement Park about 50 Miles Northeast of the capital. Besides be and Deng Yingchai other politburo Mem Bers who announced their retirement were marshals Xuy Xiangqiao. 84, and Nie Rongzhen 86. Ula Nhu a 79-year old mongolian who was the Only member of one of China National minorities on the politburo also quit. Former army political commissar Wei Guoqing 72, former regional military commander i Desheng 69, and sex air Force commander Zhang Ting a 68, also resigned As Well As party veterans Wang Zhen 77, and song Ren Qiong 76. Be s resignation left five members of the politburo standing committee he Yanbang 69 Deng Xiaoping Premier Zhao Ziyang 66 president i Xian Ian whose age has been Given As both 76 and 80 and senior economist Chen Yun 80. Party leaders said last week they expected that about 20 percent of the members of the Central committee other top governing bodies would retire. They said Fiat Between five and nine seats on the 24-Membcr politburo would go to younger candidates. Among those expected to be promoted Are he Qili 56, a member of the party secretariat and protege of he Yanbang and vice premiers i Peng 57, and Tian Jiyun 56. No change had been expected in the position of China s top leaders Deng chairman of the Central advisory com Mission and state and party military commissions Huya Obang and Zhao. Diplomats had said they expected be s place on the standing committee to go to National people s Congress chairman Peng Zhen 83, or vice Premier wan i 69. Of least 31 killed in Philippines by grenade thrown into theater Manila up terrorist hurled a grenade into the orchestra Section of a crowded theater in the Southern Philippines killing at least 31 people and wounding 61, military Headquarters said monday. The acting chief of the armed forces it. Gen. Fidel Ramos ordered the regional commander on the strife torn Island of Mindanao to conduct an investigation and to provide medical assistance to the victims of sunday s at tack a government announcement said. The attack the worst of its kind since world War 11, occurred at the Rama Cinema in marauding a District of the Remote town of Lala 510 Miles South of Manila. There Are no telephones in the City and details were sketchy. Initial reports reaching the nearby City of Ozamis said three grenades were hurled into the crowded theater moments after a Power failure during a matinee showing of a filipino movie one on screaming victims were trampled As the panicked moviegoers stormed the exits the philippine news Agency said. Quoting military sources it said the unknown attack ers disappeared into the crowd. Women children and at least two policemen were among the casualties taken to four hospitals. There were conflicting casualty figures throughout the Day. Radio reports reaching the Church run radio station Dudd in Ozamis late monday said 19 people had died in the attack and 109 were wounded. However Brig. Gen. Eduardo Ermita chief of the Mili tary civil relations service said a radio message from the regional command reported a single fragmentation Gre Nade was hurled into the orchestra Section of the theater killing 31 people and wounding 61 others. Administrators at two Ozamis hospitals said 47 wounded arrived in the port City aboard motorized out riggers and a Barge. They said three died during the Day. Officials could not say who was responsible but a spokesman reached in Ozamis noted that the victims were mainly christians. He speculated that the attack was conducted in reprisal for an August ambush of a passenger vehicle in the area. That incident left 14moslems dead. The Bland is a hotbed of unrest with killings reported daily involving the military vigilantes soldiers of the communist new people s army and moslem rebels. Armed forces spokesman col. Reynaldo san Gabriel said it would be unfair to blame communist rebels while the incident is still under investigation. The worst previous such grenade attack occurred in april 1981, when terrorists lobbed three grenades into the san Pedro Cathedral during an easter mass in Minda Nao s port City of Davao killing 22 people. 41 arrested trying to Block Gates to Scotland a sub base Aslane Bay Scotland a demonstrators tried to Block the Gates to Britain s base for nuclear armed submarines and 41 of the protesters were arrested a Royal Navy spokesman said. Some 150 protesters gathered at the base for a Day of action proclaimed by local anti nuclear groups near the Clyde submarine base West of Glasgow. The base is Home to Britain s Fleet of four Polaris submarines which carry the country s Independent nuclear Force of Polaris missiles. The demonstrators gathered at the two entrances to the base and tried to Block traffic before police moved to nuke the arrests for alleged obstruction. They held up traffic for about two minutes but at no time had there been any significant effect on the base s Normal arrangements staid the Navy spokesman who declined to be identified. John Paul accepts resignation of Cardinal Franz Konig 80 Vatican City a Pope John Paul ii hag accepted the resignation of Cardinal Franz Konig the roman Catholic archbishop of Vienna the Vatican has announced. The Cardinal s resignation was confirmed by Deputy Vatican spokesman monsignor Giulio Nicolini. Konig who stayed on beyond the Vatican s Normal retirement age of 75 for prelates turned 80 on aug. 3. Cardinals Over the age of 80 arc barred from taking part in a conclave to elect a Pope. No successor has been named. 2,000-year-old roman vase retrieved from Mediterranean Porto Santo Stefano Italy a often on Italy s Central Mediterranean coast have brought to the surface a huge vase that experts say Dales from the Days of ancient Rome. The Olive shaped vase measures 5 feet 9 inches tall. It was spotted by divers several months ago off mount As Rentario in Tuscany and they lifted it from the seabed with the help of a Crane. Archaeologists said the vase is 2,000 Yean ago and they believe similar treasures still lie off the coast. Other artefacts from the roman Empire were recovered from Waters near the Ponza islands on the Mediterranean coast South of Rome. Amid the wreck of a submerged roman ship divers found several Lead ingots probably of Spanish origin stamped with a roman name As Well As 10vases used for transporting wine. 9 injured As military tugboat and ferryboat collide in Italy Naples a a military tugboat and a ferryboat collided off the Naples coast injuring nine people two of them critically police said. Authorities Don t know what caused the collision be tween the italian military tug prometeo and the ischia express a ferry which makes several trips a Day Between Naples and the popular tourist Island of ischia. All of the injured were from the prometeo said a Naples police official. All were civilians relative of Mili tary personnel who were being taken on an Early evening coastal cruise sponsored by the defense ministry the offi Cial said. Other passengers of both boats were taken safely to Shore he said. Death toll reaches 25 in India As Monsoon brings heavy Rains new Delhi up the Tail end of India s Mon soon cracked like a whip shaking Down heavy rainfall that killed 25 people in a series of floods landslides and House collapses during the past 48 hour officials officials in Lucknow 300 Miles Southeast of new Delhi said 15 of the dead were killed in Tho collapse of two old buildings weakened by the unseasonably heavy downpour official All India radio and the press Trust of India reported. The bodies of 11 of the victims were found in the rubble of an ancient moslem mosque which fell onto huts crowded next to it the reports said. Another five people were drowned in a rain swollen f Lyl three were struck a lightning and two were killed in landslides in utter Pravesh state
