Discover Family, Famous People & Events, Throughout History!

Throughout History

Advanced Search

Publication: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 14, 1985

You are currently viewing page 2 of: European Stars and Stripes Thursday, November 14, 1985

   European Stars and Stripes (Newspaper) - November 14, 1985, Darmstadt, Hesse                                Page 2 the stars and stripes thursday november 14,1985 hijackers to be tried monday on arms charges Genoa. Italy a the four hijackers of the Achille Lauro cruise ship and an alleged accomplice will stand trial monday on charges of if Cal Possession of arms and explosives a prosecutor said wednesday. Judicial sources said Genoa prosecutors also have issued an arrest warrant for Mohammed Abbas a Plo official accused by the United states of masterminding the Hijack ing. However Genoa Deputy prosecutor Francesco Melon refused to confirm that. Sicilian prosecutors previously issued a warrant for Abbas but a High court later turned the investigation Over to Genoa magistrates who must decide whether to let the warrant stand or quash it. Another Genoa Deputy prosecutor Luigi Carli said monday Only that some warrants issued by Sicily have been corroborated with new charge Melon said the four hijackers and the alleged accomplice would face murder and kidnapping charges at a second trial but he did not give a Date. Leon Klinghoffer a new York City passenger was shot to death and thrown overboard. Separating of charges is fairly common in complicated cases involving terror isl related crimes. Judicial sources say in this Case the trial on weapons charges is being held to give prosecutors More time to investigate the More serious charges. The cruise ship began its Mediterranean cruise in the port of Genoa and the hijackers were arrested after . Warplanes forced an egyptian Jet carrying them to land in Sicily. After the plane was intercepted Egypt said it had been trying to deliver them to the Palestine liberation organization in Tunisia but was denied Landing rights by Tuni Sian authorities. The prosecutor s office identified the accused hijackers As Youssuf Magied Al Mol i. 23, born in Gimbal Al Tagi Jordan Ahmad Sarrouf Al Assadi. 23, born in Damascus Syria Ibrahim fat Ayr Abdelatif born in Beirut Leb anon in 1965 Bassam Al Ashker 19, born in Tripoli Lebanon. Mclonis identified the fifth Man As Mohammed Kalaf a syrian who was arrested with false passports in Genoa before the Achille Lauro departed on its Mediterranean cruise on oct. 3. The five Are charged with illegally bringing into Italy and possessing four soviet made Kalashnikov automatic rifles eight hand grenades and nine detonators. If convicted each could be sentenced to three to 12 years in prison and a Fine. Meloni said 11 other arrest warrants have been issued in connection with the hijacking. Only one of the suspects has been officially identified. He is Youssuf Ismail a Jor Danian who was arrested at a Campground near Rome. Newspapers have said another suspect a Plo official was arrested in Rome. Judicial sources have said the other nine suspects Are at Large probably out of the country and include Abbas. Abbas was on the egyptian plane with the four Hijack ers but was allowed to leave for Yugoslavia several Days later despite Strong objections from the United Stales. Pressed Why no action had been taken against Abbas while he was in Italy Mclonis replied when he left Itak Ian territory and for Many Days afterwards we had no grounds for taking any action against him. Under italian Law we had no elements for bringing any charge against  Abbas is a member of the Plo executive Council and Leader of the Palestine liberation front a Plo faction. He helped persuade the hijackers to surrender to leg a tin authorities and has denied any involvement in the Hijack ing. Socialist Premier Bettino Praxi s five part coalition collapsed when the Republican party withdrew its support for the government because it objected to Abbas release. Although the government was re formed the Issue re Mains politically sensitive. Meloni said the arms trial probably will last Only a Day and will be prosecuted by Carli in a heavily fortified court room used for mass terrorist trials. The Case will be heard by a three judge panel i jury and eight italian witnesses will be called to Meloni said. Without a testify Miami elects cuban born mayor s. Dakota re Emfs nuke waste dump Miami a attorney Xavier Sua rez became the first cuban born mayor of this ethnically mixed City by controlling the hispanic vote and reaching out to the Black Community that had almost shunned him a week earlier. I wan to thank All of Miami Suarez said tuesday night after defeating fellow cuban american Raul Masvidal in the non partisan Runoff elect Ion. Unofficial totals with All the ballots counted gave Suarez 31,662 votes or 56.7 percent to 24,224, or 43.3 percent for Masvidal. Meanwhile in Albuquerque n.m., City councilor Ken Schultz narrowly Defeated stale land commissioner Jim Baca in a run off election for mayor of the state s largest City. And South Dakotas overwhelmingly rejected a plan to join with North Dakota to allow construction of a Low level radioactive waste dump site. Suarez 37, and Masvidal 43, a million Aire banker had eliminated six term puerto rican born incumbent Maurice Ferre and eight other challengers in the nov. 5primary. The Harvard educated Suarez who lost the 1983 Runoff to Ferre was to be sworn in wednesday for a two year term at a special City commission meeting. Both Masvidal and Ferre pledged their support to Suarez. I congratulate Xavier Suarez for his Victory. He can count on me to support him As mayor Masvidal told disappointed backers. We have made certain that the political leadership of Miami has changed. Ferre said after the results were announced that he had voted for Suarez. Al though he had declined to make an endorse ment several of nil aides went to work for Suarez after the primary. The key to Suarez s Victory was his ability to lure enough Black voters to accompany his dominance in the hispanic Community. The largest voting bloc in the City is cuban nearly 40 percent followed by Blacks who account for 29.8 percent of registered voters and non hispanic Whites about 29.s percent. Turnout was 57,528 voters or 50.2 per cent of All those registered. When Suarez edged Masvidal As the leading vote getter in last week s primary he captured just 2 percent of the Black vote. He spent much of his time the past week campaigning in Black neighbourhoods and was endorsed by Black sociologist Marvin Dunn who finished fourth in the primary. Returns from predominantly Black districts showed Suarez captured about 40 percent of the Black vote. The Miami metropolitan area has some 650,000 cubans More than any Community except Havana the cuban capital. Most fled the Island in the Wake of Fidel Castro s 1959 revolution that put the Island on a communist path. In Albuquerque with All 118 precincts reporting unofficial returns showed Schultz with 41,495 Voles or 51 percent to Baca s 39,450 votes or 49 percent. A close race had been expected As both men agreed on the key Issue of the City s growth. Baca 40, and Schultz 47. Emerged As the top vote getters in the City s oct. 8 municipal election defeating six other Candi dates including two term mayor Harry Kinney. In South Dakota with 99 percent of the vote counted unofficial totals showed 75,895 votes or 83 percent against the proposal to allow construction of the dump for waste from other states. Seventeen percent or 15,482 votes favored the plan which was approved in Only one of the state s 66 counties fall River where the dump Wouldhave been located. Chem nuclear systems inc. Had pro posed building a dump capable of storing up to i million cubic feet of radioactive waste a year or one third of the nation s total at an abandoned military depot near Edgemont in southwestern South Dakota. News update Tot loses Long Battle Chicago a a 2-year-Otd who had already undergone three liver transplants and whose illness Drew financial contributions from hundreds of Well wishers has died while awaiting a fourth operation. Chasity Gibson 2, died of kidney and cardiac failure said Mary Ann Rcd scr a spokeswoman for Rush presbyterian St. Luke s medical Center in Chicago. Doctors had been planning a fourth transplant for Chasity but her condition worsened during the night Redeker said. Compensation of d Paris up the French government has agreed in principle to pay compensation and apologize to the fam ily of a Greenpeace photographer killed in the july 10 sinking of the Environ mental isl group s flagship the Rainbow Warrior Greenpeace said. A spokesman for the London based group said it was Uncertain Bow much Money would be paid to the family of portuguese born dutch photographer Fernando Pereira who left a wife and two children aged 14 and 5. Pereira drowned at Auckland Harbor in new zealand when he tried to retrieve his camera equip ment aboard the sinking Rainbow Warrior after French secret service agents planted and detonated two mine on the ship s Hull. Turkey pushing for military Aid concessions Washington a the turkish government is pushing president Reagan s administration for concessions in the . Bases agreement because of concerns Over pro greek actions taken by Congress a . Official said tuesday. Rozanic l. Ridgway assistant Secretary of state for european affairs told a congressional panel that the turks have raised a number of issues which seem to be bothering them As the dec. 18 deadline approaches for renewing the five year agreement. A key Issue is Congress practice of cutting military Aid to Turkey to keep it in line with Aid to Greece she said. Ridgway said turkish officials have suggested the agreement be turned into a treaty that would bind the . Government to provide a fixed amount of Aid. Under the current bases agreement the administration has pledged to make its Best Effort to provide military Aid to meet Turkey s needs. Congress however routinely trims the administration s request. For the fiscal year that started last oct. 1, for example the Reagan administration sought s789 million in military Aid but Congress Cut that to $714 million compared with $500 million for Greece. The congressional Cut complies with the urging of the greek american lobby which argues that to keep the military balance Between the traditional rivals in the East Ern Mediterranean military Aid should be in a 7 10 ratio,$7 for Greece for every $10 to Turkey. Ridgway noted that without a formal renewal the agreement goes into automatic review and is continued Only on a year to year basis. Besides an Aid increase and a treaty the turks also want concessions that will help them build their defense Industry Ridgway said. She did not go into detail but such arrangements usually include producing . Weapons under License. Michael Armacost undersecretary of state for political affairs has just returned from a visit to Turkey where he told the turkish government that the administration wanted to cooperate to resolve contentious  but Armacost also made Clear our Strong reservations about the kind of solution the treaty the turks have proposed Ridgway said. I it"5 icily Sre urging the Tuells to conduct further talks so that the Reagan administration can have a better grasp of exactly what the concerns  Fuff 5 Ham Lon. D-ind., chairman of the House foreign affairs subcommittee on Europe told Ridgway a a cd 1 �? you not possible Ndrec r v under the is. Constitutional system. Tj5fce said the administration had explained that to the 2mci?t aug Are concerned about limit on  
Browse Articles by Decade:
  • Decade