European Stars And Stripes (Newspaper) - March 29, 1986, Darmstadt, Hesse Honduran says sandinista still trapped inside Border saturday March 29, 1986 the stars and stripes Page 3 Cap ire Honduras a an army commander said nicaraguan soldiers remain trapped inside Honduras but that the sandinista have reportedly been reinforced and supplied by soviet made helicopters flying across the fron tier. Nicaragua s leftist government denies reports that up to 1,500 of its soldiers have crossed into Honduras. It says its soldiers have engaged Contra rebels on the nicaraguan Side of the Border and that reports of fighting in Honduras were made to bolster president Reagan request for $100 million in Aid to the contras. The Senate approved the package on thursday 53-47, and it will go Back to the House for reconsideration. The House had earlier rejected the measure 222-210. The honduran army thursday showed reporters at this Camp about six Miles North of the Border the bodies of five men it said were sandinista As Well As dozens of weapons some soviet made. Honduran it. Col. Danilo Carbajal Molina said fight ing was continuing about six to 10 Miles Northeast of his Camp but was mostly sporadic. The contras have report edly held the sandinista at Bay for nearly a week. The Camp is about 150 Miles East of the honduran capital of Tegucigalpa on the Western Edge of the Trian Gular shaped Las vegas salient that juts into Nicaragua along the two Central american countries common Bor Der. Carbajal said Nicaragua reportedly was reinforcing its men with Mi-8 helicopters. I Don t know How Many reinforcements or How Many new supplies they have brought in he said. But we have reports of nicaraguan helicopter flights into this he said honduran Border patrols had engaged in Skir mishes with sandinista soldiers who have been killed an buried on the spot by our nicaraguans remain in Honduras and have tried to Nee to their country without finding the Way out Carba Jal said. Michael o Brien director of the . Information serv ice in Tegucigalpa said thursday the sandinista be Long to the regular army of their country and have been trained in counterinsurgency activities. Of All this our government will soon offer new and greater he refused to elaborate. The five dead men shirtless and shoeless were Laid Outin a Gulley near the Camp s helicopter Landing pad. They were killed within the last 48 hours said maj. Miguel Perez As he walked Down the line of bodies. They were killed by honduran troops on our soil not far reporters neither saw nor heard any fighting near the Camp manned by about 500 infantrymen airlifted into the area wednesday by . Helicopters. But some resident said fighting had been heavy a few Days ago. There was a Day of rockets and another Day of bombs said Carla Sevilla 37, a peasant woman. Roberto Hernandez 30, a Farmer also said there had been a lot of fighting nearby. We could t see it but we could hear it he said. Just As reporters were arriving in two helicopters . Army Gen. John Galvin head of the . Southern com was leaving to return to Panama. I m Here to observe on the orders of the president Galvin said. I m not Here to advise. This is a honduran operation. We be just finished with the air lift and we re very encouraged with the Way everything went he said. The site also was visited thursday by 24 . Congress men. Carbajal said he did not know How Many sandinista had been killed in the area about 10 Miles from the Camp. Al Salvador Pacific Ocean reported sandinista incursion Nicaragua when pressed by reporters he said perhaps two dozen maybe in Tegucigalpa the armed forces Headquarters reported that As Many As 300 sandinista soldiers had been killed since they reportedly launched the Cross Border attack Mochase Contra rebels who strike into Nicaragua. Weapons displayed included More than 30 ak-47 rifles four 7.62-caliber machine guns with soviet markings five rocket launchers rocket shells mortar rounds Knapsacks mess kits and an empty lunch meat can from Yugoslavia. Honduras Long has maintained that Contra Camps do not exist on its soil. But a major Contra base and Hospital Only two Miles from Carbajal s Camp was clearly visible from the air by reporters As they came and left thursday. Here Are some of the sandinista weapons captured by the honduran army during the past week. The weapons were picked up near Honduras Southeastern Border with Nicaragua. A photo Wetzel asks German Safe for 2 new training areas by Wendy Bourland staff writer the v corps commander has asked German authorities for land near Fulda and Giessen to be designated training areas in an Effort to reduce Man Euver damage to private property. The formal request from it. Gen. Sam Wetzel went to the Hessen state govern ment two weeks ago said it. Col. Arthur w. Laidig v corps Public affairs officer. It was one of several topics discussed at the 43rd meeting of the German Ameri can advisory Council March 21. The army is seeking 741 acres in Fulda for use by armoured cavalry platoons and 1,482 acres in Giessen for training Fiel artillery troops Laidig said Friday. The army is asking to lease or buy the property he said. With designated training areas the army does not have to request permission to use private property for troop exercises nor does it have to pay for damage to the land. Man Euver damage makes germans reluctant to turn Over land for army use Laidig said. One thing to keep in mind is that Ger Many is not that Large a country land snot that plentiful he said. When private property is used just once damage is certain he said. But when a piece of land is used repeatedly for Maneu vers the vehicles eventually flatten out damage such As ruts and track Marks. In addition to reducing damage to Pri vate property v corps would improve its readiness by having training areas closer to Headquarters Laidig said. The 60,000 troop command currently sends troops to major training Sites such As Wil Flecken Hohenfels and Grafe Woehr he said. V corps already has reduced Man Euver damage by 60 percent since Wetzel took Over two years ago. Wetzel reduced Bat Talion size or larger exercises a v corp news release said
